• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB 2022-23 Review

10 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I saw it the first day Chris over the summer. He was a low post player and an undersized power forward. He could replace Cam for about 10 minutes a game, but they couldn’t play together because the spacing was horrible with CT since neither was much of an outside shooter. They tried him as a backup center late in the season and again, there were mixed results. To make matters worse, he was a liability on defense. You could hide that against Albany and Stony Brook, but not most teams.

After watching many highlights last summer in Sylla, I thought maybe it could work. Maybe his length could make up for his lack of height and athleticism. I was wrong. which is why I kept bringing up a Juwan Gray- type, who would have been a better fit than Sylla to replace and play along side Cam.

So, the obvious question this begs is why didn’t the coaching staff realize an un-athletic 6’4 player with no outside shot was a square peg in a round hole? Surely they didn’t sign him sight unseen, other than watching him on video, right? I mean he would have been brought onto campus before he signed on the dotted line. So, what I’m arguing is that’s it’s not necessarily that the coaching staff failed to develop Sylla, but rather the error was, given his limited skill set, signing him in the first place 

16 hours ago, TSU88 said:

So, the obvious question this begs is why didn’t the coaching staff realize an un-athletic 6’4 player with no outside shot was a square peg in a round hole? Surely they didn’t sign him sight unseen, other than watching him on video, right? I mean he would have been brought onto campus before he signed on the dotted line. So, what I’m arguing is that’s it’s not necessarily that the coaching staff failed to develop Sylla, but rather the error was, given his limited skill set, signing him in the first place 

Maybe they saw that Miami-FL exhibition game and thought he could score down low in the CAA. They were hoping for the next John Davis and that wasn't the case. He actually had a decent shot but he rarely took one outside of five feet. He was also a turnover machine at times whenever he put the ball on the floor. They didn't need a star and weren't going to get one with Cam there, but needed someone with more length who could shoot from the perimeter. Which is why I keep harping on that for at least one of the ships available.

5 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Maybe they saw that Miami-FL exhibition game and thought he could score down low in the CAA. They were hoping for the next John Davis and that wasn't the case. He actually had a decent shot but he rarely took one outside of five feet. He was also a turnover machine at times whenever he put the ball on the floor. They didn't need a star and weren't going to get one with Cam there, but needed someone with more length who could shoot from the perimeter. Which is why I keep harping on that for at least one of the ships available.

Checks out old posts… checks out.. hahaha😂