• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TigerFan54

A Highly Placed Source Tells Me CT Will Be Back Next Year

18 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Can't name the source, who also referenced a Dayton transfer we are close to landing.

A little internet detective work reveals former Dayton Flyer RJ Blakney, who we offered out of high school, after playing at Goretti, in Hagerstown, has entered the portal 

34 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Can't name the source, who also referenced a Dayton transfer we are close to landing.

Yes, I've been hinting that CT has been coming back since last week. 

I think this is the guy from Dayton. Not a good 3-point shooter but long and athletic, Looks like he can play both forward spots.

Interesting. Lose nick Timberlake and gain this guy and somehow get older 😂.   Very meh pickup if it happens. Looks like he is actually a really good shooter inside the arc, but unfortunately like most kids now a days, thinks he’s Steff curry 

10 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Interesting. Lose nick Timberlake and gain this guy and somehow get older 😂.   Very meh pickup if it happens. Looks like he is actually a really good shooter inside the arc, but unfortunately like most kids now a days, thinks he’s Steff curry 

I’ve never seen this guy play, so I’m not going to bury him, assuming he’s coming here. Having said that, I think we all agree we need to hit 1, if not 2, HR’s in the portal. Now, this guy might come here and avg 15ppg vs competition that I would think is generally inferior overall to what he played against in the A-10. But, on the surface, one can’t help but being somewhat underwhelmed by a guy who avg 6ppg last year, and was a dreadful 3-point shooter.

Maybe he took a backseat, offensively, to other guys at Dayton. Maybe he’s a defensive stopper. Maybe home cooking will benefit his game. Maybe playing in the CAA, vs the A-10 will benefit his game. That’s a helluva lot of maybes for a team that has to backfill 45 ppg that left SECU with NT, Holden, Sylla and Russell. One things for sure-he fits the Skerry portal template-a local guy who we recruited out of high school.

Will he be a home run? On paper I’d say the answer is a resounding NO, but they don’t play the game on paper. If he comes here, I’ll root for him, but the other portal guy Skerry brings in damn well better be a proven scorer. I’m hoping we’ll be bringing two more guys in, beyond Blakney, but I have no confidence Skerry will jettison any of Paar, Biekeu or Coleman, which is what will have to happen in order to bring in 3 portal guys

I like Blakney's moves close to the basket. How many times did we fail to finish close to the rim this past year? If he's consistent on that front, I'd be happy to have him. 

32 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I like Blakney's moves close to the basket. How many times did we fail to finish close to the rim this past year? If he's consistent on that front, I'd be happy to have him. 

Finishing at the rim has been a bugaboo for us, no doubt. If this guy’s any good at that, maybe he can give CT some tips, as he struggled mightily with that at times 

3 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I’ve never seen this guy play, so I’m not going to bury him, assuming he’s coming here. Having said that, I think we all agree we need to hit 1, if not 2, HR’s in the portal. Now, this guy might come here and avg 15ppg vs competition that I would think is generally inferior overall to what he played against in the A-10. But, on the surface, one can’t help but being somewhat underwhelmed by a guy who avg 6ppg last year, and was a dreadful 3-point shooter.

Maybe he took a backseat, offensively, to other guys at Dayton. Maybe he’s a defensive stopper. Maybe home cooking will benefit his game. Maybe playing in the CAA, vs the A-10 will benefit his game. That’s a helluva lot of maybes for a team that has to backfill 45 ppg that left SECU with NT, Holden, Sylla and Russell. One things for sure-he fits the Skerry portal template-a local guy who we recruited out of high school.

Will he be a home run? On paper I’d say the answer is a resounding NO, but they don’t play the game on paper. If he comes here, I’ll root for him, but the other portal guy Skerry brings in damn well better be a proven scorer. I’m hoping we’ll be bringing two more guys in, beyond Blakney, but I have no confidence Skerry will jettison any of Paar, Biekeu or Coleman, which is what will have to happen in order to bring in 3 portal guys

I’m not killing him.  He’s just old and a bad 3 point shooter. Seems ok otherwise.  Probably a decent role player. Doesn’t move the needle but could be worse.  Dayton was good and a10 better than caa 

8 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I’m not killing him.  He’s just old and a bad 3 point shooter. Seems ok otherwise.  Probably a decent role player. Doesn’t move the needle but could be worse.  Dayton was good and a10 better than caa 

Wasn’t suggesting you were killing him, as I think it’s perfectly reasonable to have questions about a guy who avg 6ppg. We’re going to need better from him than “ok,” “decent role player,” and “could be worse.” Unfair to expect him to come in an avg 20ppg, but I’m looking for him to double what he avg’d at Dayton. We need some A-listers (at least by CAA standards) not more Rizzuto’s, Russell’s and Sylla’s