• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TigerFan54

A Highly Placed Source Tells Me CT Will Be Back Next Year

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Wasn’t suggesting you were killing him, as I think it’s perfectly reasonable to have questions about a guy who avg 6ppg. We’re going to need better from him than “ok,” “decent role player,” and “could be worse.” Unfair to expect him to come in an avg 20ppg, but I’m looking for him to double what he avg’d at Dayton. We need some A-listers (at least by CAA standards) not more Rizzuto’s, Russell’s and Sylla’s 

If he is the rizzuto or Russell, in terms of production, I am fine with that. Meaning more productivity is coming hopefully. 

Russell was a good players who did a lot. Now he should have been a 3rd guy off a bench not a starter averaging 30 minutes a game and taking 1/4 of our threes. There’s always a need for a guy who will do alittle of everything but he did just that, alittle. Needed to be a 12-18 mpg guy like he was at semo 

So, trying to do more research on Blakney, I think he can really help in some areas that needed help. Unfortunately, he's not going to be the shooter/scorer that we need, but there's no reason he can't double digits in the CAA with that kind of length, athleticism and strength. He CAN score at the CAA level and while I don't expect him to shoot 35% from three as he did two years ago, isn't that what we needed? An athletic wing who can defend and slash to the basket. I'm sure Dayton fans have mixed thoughts on him as does every fan when a role player leaves a strong program. Most fans are not happy with AG (Anthony Grant).

When reading this, it's obvious that he has some talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball and probably wasn't seeing eye-to-eye with Grant at the end. To compare this guy to an average athlete like Russell at 6-4, 215 or Rizzuto, who was a solid AEast player and defender (3 and D guy) is a bit unfair. The fact that he's 24 doesn't mean much to me. That's not that unusual nowadays.

https://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?s=bd590f08321314d56cca97b02dc0f6c7&t=36653 
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
This one is going to be very interesting. I can't wait to see where he winds up and I hope it's some program with at least similar competition as Dayton. I think RJ is going to excel and make non AG-apologists wonder why couldn't we get the same offensive consistency out of him here. Same with Amzil, though I think he's more limited due to his lack of speed. RJ's offensive strength, which in my opinion is slashing to the basket with and without the ball, is certainly not valued in our offensive system.

Which leads me to wonder why AG recruited him. Was it because he wanted a defense-only oriented player or did he not evaluate him correctly and thought he would fit our offensive system?

Flyers98 

I agree on never seeing his offensive potential. I also think this is a bigger loss than most people realize. A healthy RJ was UD's best on ball defender for the last two years. I don't know what happened, if it was injury related and/or he and AG had a falling out but he was one of my favorite players. He did the dirty work, didn't need to score 20, was always diving on the floor.

He is not irreplaceable, nobody is but I really hope we get someone else with his skill set.

If he's a slightly better offensive player than Jaylon Scott of Charleston with the same defensive impact, I'll take that.

But I guess Charleston is going to win the CAA in the next 3-4 years with their incredible recruiting class and Kelsey not going anywhere. We're all playing for second place.

11 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

To compare this guy to an average athlete like Russell at 6-4, 215 or Rizzuto, who was a solid AEast player and defender (3 and D guy) is a bit unfair. The fact

Just so we’re clear, my comp was in his scoring avg last season compared to what Russell & Rizzuto scored here. In that limited context, I stand by my comparison. Fervently hope he comes in and averages double digits 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

But I guess Charleston is going to win the CAA in the next 3-4 years with their incredible recruiting class and Kelsey not going anywhere. We're all playing for second place.

A depressing assessment. Not saying it’s inaccurate, but that doesn’t make it any less depressing 

13 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

So, trying to do more research on Blakney, I think he can really help in some areas that needed help. Unfortunately, he's not going to be the shooter/scorer that we need, but there's no reason he can't double digits in the CAA with that kind of length, athleticism and strength. He CAN score at the CAA level and while I don't expect him to shoot 35% from three as he did two years ago, isn't that what we needed? An athletic wing who can defend and slash to the basket. I'm sure Dayton fans have mixed thoughts on him as does every fan when a role player leaves a strong program. Most fans are not happy with AG (Anthony Grant).

When reading this, it's obvious that he has some talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball and probably wasn't seeing eye-to-eye with Grant at the end. To compare this guy to an average athlete like Russell at 6-4, 215 or Rizzuto, who was a solid AEast player and defender (3 and D guy) is a bit unfair. The fact that he's 24 doesn't mean much to me. That's not that unusual nowadays.

https://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?s=bd590f08321314d56cca97b02dc0f6c7&t=36653 
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
This one is going to be very interesting. I can't wait to see where he winds up and I hope it's some program with at least similar competition as Dayton. I think RJ is going to excel and make non AG-apologists wonder why couldn't we get the same offensive consistency out of him here. Same with Amzil, though I think he's more limited due to his lack of speed. RJ's offensive strength, which in my opinion is slashing to the basket with and without the ball, is certainly not valued in our offensive system.

Which leads me to wonder why AG recruited him. Was it because he wanted a defense-only oriented player or did he not evaluate him correctly and thought he would fit our offensive system?

Flyers98 

I agree on never seeing his offensive potential. I also think this is a bigger loss than most people realize. A healthy RJ was UD's best on ball defender for the last two years. I don't know what happened, if it was injury related and/or he and AG had a falling out but he was one of my favorite players. He did the dirty work, didn't need to score 20, was always diving on the floor.

He is not irreplaceable, nobody is but I really hope we get someone else with his skill set.

I don’t think any of us were comparing him to rizzut but to a rizzuto/Russell impact. Guys every team needs, but not a game changer. Pointing out that he is older and has 2? Years left?

10 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

If he's a slightly better offensive player than Jaylon Scott of Charleston with the same defensive impact, I'll take that.

We would all sign up for that.  Scott didn’t need to score for Charleston because they had enough offense elsewhere. We are going to need to win games in the 50s/low 60s next year so that helps for the most part. 

Charleston will be favorites until Kelsey leaves. That class coming is no joke, they do lose some valuable pieces. They are going to schedule for an at large though and will put together a good OOC, because they can. 

lets hope we don’t get the toughest conference schedule again this year 

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

A depressing assessment. Not saying it’s inaccurate, but that doesn’t make it any less depressing 

A bit of sarcasm because that's all I hear from CAA and Charleston fans. 

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Pointing out that he is older and has 2? Years left?

He’ll be 3 months shy of 26 years old at the end of next season. Not a criticism, just a statement of fact. College basketball is broke, with 25-26 year olds, guys playing 5-6 years, guys playing for 3-4 schools, but if that’s the way it is, we have to play by these “rules” as well. I really wish we could develop a robust NIL program, so we could buy players too 

BE08A3B6-7045-4603-A920-82439D83B224.jpeg

6 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I don’t think any of us were comparing him to rizzut but to a rizzuto/Russell impact. Guys every team needs, but not a game changer. Pointing out that he is older and has 2? Years left?

We would all sign up for that.  Scott didn’t need to score for Charleston because they had enough offense elsewhere. We are going to need to win games in the 50s/low 60s next year so that helps for the most part. 

Charleston will be favorites until Kelsey leaves. That class coming is no joke, they do lose some valuable pieces. They are going to schedule for an at large though and will put together a good OOC, because they can. 

lets hope we don’t get the toughest conference schedule again this year 

We should play Delaware, Drexel, Stony Brook, Monmouth, NE and Hofstra twice. Charleston, Elon, UNCW, Campbell, and NC A&T once. Hampton and W&M twice in some years. Time to start dividing up the league into a North and South Division. Seven teams in both divisions. 

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

He’ll be 3 months shy of 26 years old at the end of next season. Not a criticism, just a statement of fact. College basketball is broke, with 25-26 year olds, guys playing 5-6 years, guys playing for 3-4 schools, but if that’s the way it is, we have to play by these “rules” as well. I really wish we could develop a robust NIL program, so we could buy players too 

BE08A3B6-7045-4603-A920-82439D83B224.jpeg

I mean if he's good, who the hell cares what his age is? Are we to the point where we nitpick everything including a kid's age? When he's 25 after next season and wants to start a career then he'll leave after one year. This is college basketball as part of the NIL/COVID era. It's not about 18-22 year old's anymore. At least not in the next couple of years.

• Like 1