• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Stony Brook Thread

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

DeMaio throws it away again from behind the goal. You have to be freakin' kidding me.

Bench that guy. I've seen that sort of boneheaded play from him again and again

1 minute ago, TigerFan54 said:

Bench that guy. I've seen that sort of boneheaded play from him again and again

Ain't going to happen. He shouldn't be at the X, but with Schrier the only other option is to move Mikey there, which was my thought from the jump. Not all DeMaio's fault. Long made no saves and McLaughlin made many key ones in the second half. Too many turnovers. Too many mistakes on D. We dominated time of possession. That's a game you have to win when your face-off man is dominating the second half.

17 turnovers to 13. I think Stony Brook had just four or five in the second half. But the real stat that mattered? Long had just 7 saves and McLaughlin had 17.

3 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I just don't see us turning this season around. Like the b-ball team, we have a tough time closing out tight games. Frustrating.

At least the basketball team won most of their games. Lacrosse has won two games out of nine. The face-off play has improved dramatically. The three freshmen have shown flashes of greatness, but defense, turnovers and goaltender play have been erratic. You can't consistently turn the ball over 17-20 times every game and expect to win most of your games. This team should be good enough to make the CAA Tournament, but don't see much past that.

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

17 turnovers to 13. I think Stony Brook had just four or five in the second half. But the real stat that mattered? Long had just 7 saves and McLaughlin had 17.

After a strong game last week, Long falters this week. That's one of the (many) differences between us and good teams -- consistent goalie play.

2 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

After a strong game last week, Long falters this week. That's one of the (many) differences between us and good teams -- consistent goalie play.

Yup. He gave up a ton of high goals. He's still the best option but he needs to play better. Hofstra isn't very good, but that basically turns into a must-win game next week again on LI.

2023 Men's Lacrosse Standings
SCHOOL    CAA    OVERALL
Stony Brook    3-0    6-4
Delaware    3-0    7-3
Drexel    2-0    5-3
Fairfield    1-1    3-6
Hofstra    1-2    3-7
Towson    1-2    2-7
Hampton    0-3    2-8
Monmouth    0-3    4-5

Still have Hofstra, Hampton, Monmouth and Delaware. For some reason, Denver is in there. If we don't go 3-1 to get to 4-3, it's over. I would think that's enough for fourth place with Drexel having the tiebreaker. A loss next week and it's probably over for the CAA Tournament, which would be beyond bad.