• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

6 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

When you’ve been no class your entire existence on here, you’re not just gonna magically find any.  Maybe Pat should hire him since he’s God’s gift to basketball knowledge.  I have said this many times - the ignore feature is a glorious thing.  That and not quoting the trash will make the board experience much better.  

Lol.  Sorry that you disagree with some of the only diehard Towson fans in existence. If you can even read this haha.  Lots of you older guys on here are good with the status quo.  
sorry your feelings get hurt. Hopefully you’re a better official but something tells me you have rabbit ears.  

On 6/2/2023 at 9:01 PM, Bay Area Tiger said:

I heard the story yesterday how Mad Dog Russo’s son Tim landed at Northern Arizona as a 3rd assistant after his stint with UConn.  
Too late now but he would have been an excellent fit for us as an assistant.  No such luck. 

I listened to this the other day as well. Not sure how much he will or won't be ready to do the job at a high level coming directly form being a student manager, but good for him to get the opportunity. It will be interesting to follow since Northern Arizona will all of a sudden be Chris Russo's favorite team. He was locked in on UConn the last year-plus. Of course, I think people mostly in our age range listen to him and I can't imagine it doing much for anyone under the age of 25. Even when he is on TV I think it only has a limited effect. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

That seems random. Is that part of a bigger day of multiple basketball games like our trip to Chicago was last year? Also, do we get a return game with Bryant at Towson from last year? 

I was at that game last year and it felt like one of the low points of the season. Bryant was a solid team, but that game, Northern Iowa and probably the second half of the Navy game were the most disjointed performances of the year and made me think the wheels were going to come off. Credit to the players and Skerry that they regrouped and have a relatively successful season. 

The Bryant game was a low point last season, no doubt. Not sure why it’s being played in New York. Must be a one day doubleheader 

33 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

That seems random. Is that part of a bigger day of multiple basketball games like our trip to Chicago was last year? Also, do we get a return game with Bryant at Towson from last year? 

I was at that game last year and it felt like one of the low points of the season. Bryant was a solid team, but that game, Northern Iowa and probably the second half of the Navy game were the most disjointed performances of the year and made me think the wheels were going to come off. Credit to the players and Skerry that they regrouped and have a relatively successful season. 

Thought the same.  I was under the impression it was a home and home 

30 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

The Bryant game was a low point last season, no doubt. Not sure why it’s being played in New York. Must be a one day doubleheader 

For some reason a lot of the non-conference road games fell just right for me to go to last year. I feel like the UMass game and Penn game might have been the high water marks when everyone was healthy and the team looked like it could seamlessly build off the previous year. I was at the Penn game, and for about 25 minutes we looked really good. The Gibson injury toward the end of that game was obviously somewhat of a turning point in the season. I was also at the Northern Iowa and Bryant games, and man were those ugly. Those both felt like three losses rolled into one, and I was about as negative as I can be in-season about a team I knew had talent after those games. Of course, that is why it is good that they don't listen to us. 

I like getting in as part of doubleheaders. I know no one ever cares to watch our games in those neutral sites, and thank goodness for the decent amount of Northern Iowa fans or we might have been playing in front of security and about 15-20 other people in that game. However, it is fun to be rolled into those events and often results in solid competition.

Bryant is a good regular opponent as a solid America East team that should always be sniffing around the title below Vermont (although they were pretty disappointing last year), and Skerry seems to be well-connected with them from his Rhode Island ties. I do hope they actually come to Towson at some point. Obviously, there are better teams to schedule but they are a solid foundational program to be part of a regular rotation for us to play in non-conference play.