• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

In addition to our game today I’m going to be keeping a close eye on that Arkansas State vs. JMU game in the Sun Belt. Bryan Hodgson is aiming to take Arkansas State to the big dance in his first season as HC. They took down #1 seed App State yesterday. 

Good for Bryan Hodgson…..first year HC. 

13 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

In addition to our game today I’m going to be keeping a close eye on that Arkansas State vs. JMU game in the Sun Belt. Bryan Hodgson is aiming to take Arkansas State to the big dance in his first season as HC. They took down #1 seed App State yesterday. 

You can win in your first year?! That’s news’

• Like 1

I know the loss is still fresh in everyone's minds, but I wanted to take a second to thank you all for following my coverage of the team over the last three years, in whatever capacity it may have been. The constant engagement from you all kept me going and gave me a reason to continue covering the team in the way that I did.

I'm graduating in May so this is the last season I'll be covering them. I'll still be reporting on the transfer portal until then, but I won't be around nearly as much next season. 

Thanks,

Jake

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Samford has a coach in his 4th year, was a hs coach prior, just won the socon tourney along with back to back regular season titles.  Oh he also had a shitty first year but was able to win

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tigerjake said:

I know the loss is still fresh in everyone's minds, but I wanted to take a second to thank you all for following my coverage of the team over the last three years, in whatever capacity it may have been. The constant engagement from you all kept me going and gave me a reason to continue covering the team in the way that I did.

I'm graduating in May so this is the last season I'll be covering them. I'll still be reporting on the transfer portal until then, but I won't be around nearly as much next season. 

Thanks,

Jake

Jake, we appreciate it and know you're going to do great things at The Sun and in the future. We're hurt after this collapse but some of us who have been around a long time are just used to it. From one "asleep at the wheel" to another. I know you won't miss all the ball busting. (lol). Maybe in a few years you can take over running the CAA communications department. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tigerjake said:

Thanks,

Jake

Appreciated all your insights and information.  You are in a rough business.  Have money saved up.  Follow David Simon on Twitter. 
Watch every season and episode of the A-Team.  Don’t ever drink an old fashioned..  never ever.  Be glad you covered Pat Skerry and not Bobby Knight.  

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

It is standard everywhere but here. Unbelievable. What a joke of a university. Steve and co, why was the last extension given last season?!  Why was it hush hush?!

564 winning % and just one losing season?! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

It is standard everywhere but here. Unbelievable. What a joke of a university. Steve and co, why was the last extension given last season?!  Why was it hush hush?!

564 winning % and just one losing season?! 

After giving it some more thought, this whole Pat Skerry contract extension could really come back to bite Steve and impact the trajectory of his own career. How will potential future employers view Steve’s decision to extend a coach who is just north of .500 with ZERO NCAA Tournament appearances over the course of 13(?) seasons?

”So Steve, in your opinion it made sense to extend Pat Skerry, based on what exactly? Would you use those same standards/criteria here at University X when evaluating our coaches?” 

Steve has hitched his wagon to Skerry with no clear or practical contract exit strategy. No one will be able to bail Steve out of this other than Skerry and that’s highly unlikely. What if the Tigers take a massive step backwards next season and only win 10-12 games? These two are married to one another….for better or for worse. 

• Like 1