• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

First Football Practice Update

So, first scrimmage (sort of) with refs and hitting took place today. All I know was that the weather was under 40 degrees with wind chill and I couldn't feel my hands in April. I say sort of because there were more drills than just a consistent 11-on-11 with QBs and lines going in and out so really tough to judge. I thought Sean Brown has the release, the arm, but what he doesn't have is the experience. Curtis Murray had one big explosive run and looked solid, but this is going to be a passing offense. A quick back will be needed. O-line is a work in progress and Lafayette transfer Josh Roberts (6-7, 325), who didn't play last season was playing left tackle and guard. Unless Volpe returns, I can see at least 2-3 transfers at tackle and guard. I think r-freshman Joden Nelson will start at center or guard. D-line is a mess as one of the transfers is out already and Jesus Gibbs could use some help. They moved TE Brockman Wallace (6-0, 270) and FB Dion Crews-Harris to the d-line, which says two things. 1)Depth issue up front due to graduation and injuries. 2)This offense won't be using fullbacks.

Other than that, just have to get used to a different style and cadence. I like the corners with Javier back and Sean Tucker. Dorian Davis can play corner or safety. But I think we need to add a safety or two. Mason Woods is going to be fine at linebacker, but I don't know where Evan Rutkowski (injured), Daniel Raymond, Jamal Gay and others fit in the 3-3-5 scheme.

Here are some quotes from Coach Pete.

On first scrimmage

"We did a half-scrimmage. Good to get some live reps in, see where we are. Pluses on both sides of the ball, minuses. What you'd expect. Understanding how we do things, what we do, how do it, really like it where we're at."

On D-line

"Moved a couple of guys over there because we didn't have the depth we needed. Brock (Brockman Wallace) is doing a good job. As is Dion Crews. Excited about what we're seeing out of them."

"More of a tight end, two back type set is what we do."

On offensive line

"We're think. Had just eight guys. Had a couple of guys out with injuries. Hopefully next week we'll have a two full teams."

On Josh Roberts

"We're moving him around. We're trying to find what his best fit is. Where we can use him. He's been versatile and I've been appreciative of how he's worked."

Joden Nelson

"PLaying him at center and guard. He's done a good job."

On QB

"Have a rotation going. Trying to figure out who that guy is going to be. Trying to get a ton of guys a bunch of reps. See where we are and see what we can do."

On Sean Brown

"We liked him out of HS and he signed with Liberty. Coming off an injury. Liked how he ran the offense and what he did in HS. Has to translate now and make things work."

To win this job?

"You have to make the right decisions. We say take what the defense gives you. That guy has to command the offense and understand the offense. Get done what needs to get done."

Name one after the spring

"I don't know. If somebody is that much better, we'll do it. If not, we'll continue the process."

On RBs

"We have two very good ones (Bangda, D'Ago) that are healthy and making it work. We have great compeition there. Devin Matthews is out due to surgery, but he'll come back and be in a t a great position."

On WRs

"Have to have guys that can get open. We had some drops, Nice catches, runs after plays. That was good to see. Can never have enough of guys that can get open in this offense and create space on their own."

On Isaiah (Zay) Perkins

"Showed flashes last year and continues to show flashes now. Thought he had a good day today. I'm excited about his future and what he's capable of doing."

On secondary

"A lot of corners that are returning. Like the depth there. We've moved a couple of guys from corner to safety to match it up. They are flying around."

On transfer portal

"We need a couple of guys on each side of the ball to add depth. Our top 11 on each side of the ball is pretty good. We need depth to be able to maintain in the CAA the way the top teams do. You have to be able to play a couple of guys in each spot to get to where you get to."

On practice next week

"I want to see us get better in everything we're doing. That's the key to this process. Are we improving? Are we getting better? That was the challenge at the end of practice. Do this to where we're improving the next practice."

On challenge for players learning a new system

"What used to be called apples, is now oranges. Terminology. How we do certain things, because some things we do are very unique to what we do. The offense and defense that we run really changes. This is not universal in all defenses an offenses. Some things are and some things aren't."

On looking for type of guys in portal that fit

"We look for great fit personality-wise, character-wise. Great teammate. How do we project him athletically into what we do."

• Like 1