• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

It’s official: Messiah Jones to Towson

Former Drake commit who went to Wofford, 6-6 225. Played some center but is a PF. Had an Achilles injury in 2021-22 and played in just five games. Bounced back pretty well. Good finisher with either hand. Not a three point shooter 

Lefty with two years left. Similar to John Davis

7 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

Be interesting to see how he works with CT. How many years does he have left?

Two years left. He was super athletic in HS. I think getting bigger and the Achilles injury slowed him down last season as it would most people coming off that injury. I think this season, he'll be much bouncier. I noticed that when Juwan Gray injured his Achilles and he was never the same athlete until last summer when he was practicing with the team. He got most of his legs back. Also, kid was playing a lot of center at Wofford and got in foul trouble, so minutes were limited.

https://www.rotowire.com/cbasketball/player/messiah-jones-13358

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/messiah-jones-1.html

Look at the game logs and the fouls. That was his big issue trying to cover centers at 6-6. Would I prefer a 6-7 or 6-8 lengthy power forward? Sure, but I would take an athletic PF who can run the floor and finish in the paint. 

So COVID year in 2020-21 and injury-year in 2021-22 don't count where he played five games. He has played two full seasons that count. We were also after him after he de-committed from Drake in 2018 but wound up at Wofford. Rough couple of years for Jones. After the Achilles injury in Nov. 2021, he lost his mother last September. 

https://www.goupstate.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2018/05/21/wofford-finds-its-messiah-jones-that-is/12155992007/

He's No. 25. Good length, but mostly works around the basket. Will be interesting to see how he fits with CT, who is reportedly working on a perimeter game. Also, next guy coming in will need to be a wing who can stretch the floor. Would like an athletic wing who can defend but in terms of spacing, they will need another shooter to go with Jones, CT, May, Williamson/Hicks and Conway. Good news is that Williamson and Jaiden Cole can flat-out shoot.

50 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

Be interesting to see how he works with CT. How many years does he have left?

I’m good with this signing. Avg’d 10/5 last season while coming off an injury, only playing 22mpg, and perhaps playing out of position. From the exceedingly little I know about him, it looks like he’s a post up, back to the basket guy, who predominantly scores within 1-3 feet of the basket. I’m curious to see how that blends with CT, who’s offensive skill set is similar. Can’t help but root for a guy who’s dealt with the level of adversity he has, both on and off the court. Now let’s get an athletic wing who can score 

Edited by TSU88

I forgot to mention that he played last season with a heavy heart, giving the passing of his mother, in addition to coming off an injury & playing out of position. Would love to see him avg 12-13ppg & 7 boards for us. Hopefully that’s realistic. Also, we suddenly have a Windy City pipeline, with him and Lowery, the incoming freshman