• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

NIL Challenge

So, I think anyone who reads my posts knows that I’m not a big fan of the changes that have taken place recently in college athletics (“not a big fan” is putting it mildly 😆). Notwithstanding, I recognize that these changes, including NIL, are likely here to stay.          
                                                         With this in mind, I just set up my contribution to Goh Collective, the TU NIL. I don’t hesitate to bitch & moan about MBB (and football) when I feel it’s warranted, but at the same time I want to put my $ where my mouth is. We’re never going to generate NIL revenue in the amounts the blue blood P5’s will, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be successful at our level, given the number of grads the University has pumped out, and will continue to pump out. At least now, when I gripe, I’m doing so as a stockholder 😆.

Anyway, I’m curious to know if anyone else on the board has contributed (you needn’t disclose the amount). I’d also like to challenge those who haven’t, to do so. You don’t have to give until it hurts; a bunch of small-medium donations add up. Let’s face it, our ability to retain existing players, and attract new recruits & transfers is going to depend in a significant way on how much NIL money we can pony up. So, who else is in? 

• Like 4

Well said. I’ve given and from what I’ve heard, the response has been pretty good for the Goh Collective. We’re going to lose recruits and transfers to the big boys, but I would hate to lose to mid majors due to NIL.

I’m curious as well. Not about amounts, but about who has given. I understand that not everyone can, but for those on here who have the wherewithal, a few ducats won’t hurt. You can also give to the sport you choose to give to.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TSU88 said:

So, I think anyone who reads my posts knows that I’m not a big fan of the changes that have taken place recently in college athletics (“not a big fan” is putting it mildly 😆). Notwithstanding, I recognize that these changes, including NIL, are likely here to stay.          
                                                         With this in mind, I just set up my contribution to Goh Collective, the TU NIL. I don’t hesitate to bitch & moan about MBB (and football) when I feel it’s warranted, but at the same time I want to put my $ where my mouth is. We’re never going to generate NIL revenue in the amounts the blue blood P5’s will, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be successful at our level, given the number of grads the University has pumped out, and will continue to pump out. At least now, when I gripe, I’m doing so as a stockholder 😆.

Anyway, I’m curious to know if anyone else on the board has contributed (you needn’t disclose the amount). I’d also like to challenge those who haven’t, to do so. You don’t have to give until it hurts; a bunch of small-medium donations add up. Let’s face it, our ability to retain existing players, and attract new recruits & transfers is going to depend in a significant way on how much NIL money we can pony up. So, who else is in? 

Nice post. I have, as well as during the big give to the TU athletic fund. hopefully we can get this off the ground and become competitive in the NIL landscape. 

14 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I will be setting up to give. It won't be a huge amount, but lord knows my passion for Towson athletics (as frustrating as it may be) is up there with others in my life. From a practical standpoint, it is always seems like this is a dumb cause to put money towards when you think of all of the other causes in the world. However, for this program/athletic department I definitely want to put my money where my mouth is in support. Even if it is in a small way. 

Any more responses why you have or haven’t given? Don’t have to mention a figure. Just curious. Charleston’s collective will be close to a million shortly.

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Any more responses why you have or haven’t given? Don’t have to mention a figure. Just curious. Charleston’s collective will be close to a million shortly.

I don’t think it takes any great leap of logic to suggest a strong correlation between winning and increased NIL contributions. C of C has been to the dance, we haven’t. Now, I personally think that it’s a bit more nuanced than that. I’ve never been sold on TU alum being terribly passionate about TU sports. I’m also speculating that on average, C of C alum, or at least those who are passionate about C of C sports, are more well heeled than TU alum. The best thing that could happen for us is for C of C to jump ship and leave the CAA. Otherwise, I fear we will be the Orioles to their Yankees, when it comes to spending. 

While I typed this, the collective TU fan base yawned and the C of C fanbase just kicked in another hundred thousand dollars. While I say this partly in jest, I believe there’s likely a kernel of truth in what I said 

Just now, TSU88 said:

I don’t think it takes any great leap of logic to suggest a strong correlation between winning and increased NIL contributions. C of C has been to the dance, we haven’t. Now, I personally think that it’s a bit more nuanced than that. I’ve never been sold on TU alum being terribly passionate about TU sports. I’m also speculating that on average, C of C alum, or at least those who are passionate about C of C sports, are more well heeled than TU alum. The best thing that could happen for us is for C of C to jump ship and leave the CAA. Otherwise, I fear we will be the Orioles to their Yankees, when it comes to spending. 

While I typed this, the collective TU fan base yawned and the C of C fanbase just kicked in another hundred thousand dollars. While I say this partly in jest, I believe there’s likely a kernel of truth in what I said 

I appreciate those who have given in the past and still give. Those who have $$$ issues or where family comes first. I get it. I hate to say put your money where your mouth is, but if I'm going to rip the program to shreds, I'm also going to try and be part of the solution as well. We can still whine, bitch and moan, but if you think it's all about PS, then fine. But the next coach is going to need NIL $$$ as well. It's become part of life. Same with football. I'd like to think a guy like Casey Cegles can help galvanize the football alumni, but the basketball alumni are likely fractured from the Jaz-to-Hunt-to-PK misery years. 

There's no doubt that we'd be ahead of the game if we had the ability to give a transfer a little bit of $$$.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Yup. But it also has something to do with them having 2 “big sports”. What are we good at?  We have football and lacrosse programs that suck up a ton of money.  Charleston does not.  Easier for them to be good and raise more money.  

TU alum don’t care. Students don’t care and some that do, post here but a lot don’t go to games or have season tickets/donate as much that is needed to compete.  

10 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Yup. But it also has something to do with them having 2 “big sports”. What are we good at?  We have football and lacrosse programs that suck up a ton of money.  Charleston does not.  Easier for them to be good and raise more money.  

TU alum don’t care. Students don’t care and some that do, post here but a lot don’t go to games or have season tickets/donate as much that is needed to compete.  

I agree with most of your reply. Where I part ways with you is any suggestion that we should step football down, if not totally eliminate it. Speaking for myself (and hopefully others as well) there would be a huge void in the fall without football, which the NFL wouldn’t fill. Frankly, if it weren’t for fantasy football, I would have very little interest in the NFL. 

5 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I agree with most of your reply. Where I part ways with you is any suggestion that we should step football down, if not totally eliminate it. Speaking for myself (and hopefully others as well) there would be a huge void in the fall without football, which the NFL wouldn’t fill. Frankly, if it weren’t for fantasy football, I would have very little interest in the NFL. 

I don’t mention eliminating it or stepping down in my post. I have mentioned in the past, what the point of playing ~ .500 fcs football in front of 4,000 fans, is.  Fcs and the caa are on life support. Queue an angry response from the football crowd. This coming from an ex season ticket holder, and someone who can give two shits about the NFL. 

My point is, that as long as we have all of these other sports, and no real focus, we will continue to play major catch-up. Can’t compete with the likes of Charleston, uncw, northeastern, Drexel and Delaware.

What does this school want to become, other than a lifetime contract for mediocre coaches?