• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

NIL Challenge

31 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

Each person makes their own decision as to where they want their donation to go. If it goes to NIL or event the Tiger Athletic Fund, the money goes to "whoever needs it most". Your donation is put in someone else's hands

When I set up my donation through the GOH collective, I was specifically prompted to select which sport I wished my donation to go to. Donors can thus specify which sport they wish to direct their money. Everyone can make their own decision. As for me, I want Skerry to be able to compete for players in the portal. If he somehow manages to defy past history and get us to the dance, then great. If not, I hope he’ll be gone when his contract expires, which I think is after the 2025-2026 season (disclaimer: I think that’s when his contract expires, but I’m not 100% certain of that). 

13 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

When I set up my donation through the GOH collective, I was specifically prompted to select which sport I wished my donation to go to. Donors can thus specify which sport they wish to direct their money. Everyone can make their own decision. As for me, I want Skerry to be able to compete for players in the portal. If he somehow manages to defy past history and get us to the dance, then great. If not, I hope he’ll be gone when his contract expires, which I think is after the 2025-2026 season (disclaimer: I think that’s when his contract expires, but I’m not 100% certain of that). 

noted....sorry If I gave misinformation. However, when Skerry says he needs more.....he had enough to win a regular season 1st place finish. He is a perfect example of having enough, but when the team does not even get to a championship game in march, blame it on not having enough. Perhaps I am overly negative regarding the basketball program, but I think I am just being truthful as to what the team has failed to accomplish.

1 minute ago, Tgr4life said:

noted....sorry If I gave misinformation. However, when Skerry says he needs more.....he had enough to win a regular season 1st place finish. He is a perfect example of having enough, but when the team does not even get to a championship game in march, blame it on not having enough. Perhaps I am overly negative regarding the basketball program, but I think I am just being truthful as to what the team has failed to accomplish.

I share your frustration with Skerry’s inability thus far to have grabbed the brass ring. I think most, if not all of us, would agree that the decision to give him that lengthy contract extension was a huge mistake. Unfortunately, we’re saddled with it.  That extension is an albatross around our necks and is the gift that keeps on giving. Would love to know why Tim Leonard agreed to it in the first place. Maybe a 2-3 year extension, but 8 years?????

Well, I’d like to think we’re approaching a crossroads, where if the postseason futility continues that we move on. My concern though is that whoever the new University President is will stick with him, because he graduates kids and wins just enough games to look good on paper. Time will tell, but I’ve run out of patience. 

In three years and if Sherry is not here, the new coach is going to ask for the same thing. We need more NIL money to keep up with the Joneses.When you lose out on recruits and transfers due to NIL, what else would you do? Every coach asks for more money from donors, going well before NIL. I don’t think he’s mentioned it on the record much, if at all because it’s not really part of the athletic department.

5 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I share your frustration with Skerry’s inability thus far to have grabbed the brass ring. I think most, if not all of us, would agree that the decision to give him that lengthy contract extension was a huge mistake. Unfortunately, we’re saddled with it.  That extension is an albatross around our necks and is the gift that keeps on giving. Would love to know why Tim Leonard agreed to it in the first place. Maybe a 2-3 year extension, but 8 years?????

Well, I’d like to think we’re approaching a crossroads, where if the postseason futility continues that we move on. My concern though is that whoever the new University President is will stick with him, because he graduates kids and wins just enough games to look good on paper. Time will tell, but I’ve run out of patience. 

I agree with much of your post. I would, however, still like to make the case for money going to Olympic sports. The department, as is tru e of most D1 schools, is happy to include their GPAs in noting the high GPA of the athletic department. They hare happy to post thier championships, but they are incredibly short on funds. When these S/As graduate, they are grateful for their college athletic days.

While this is an opinion, with no scientific data to back it up, I would say they are more appreciative of what they do receive, minimal as it might be, then the revenue sports whose athetes frequently expect rather than appreciate.

7 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

In three years and if Sherry is not here, the new coach is going to ask for the same thing. We need more NIL money to keep up with the Joneses.When you lose out on recruits and transfers due to NIL, what else would you do? Every coach asks for more money from donors, going well before NIL. I don’t think he’s mentioned it on the record much, if at all because it’s not really part of the athletic department.

If you had won something, then perhaps you could ask for more.....but continually asking for more and coming up short of expectations and blaming it on not getting enough has gotten old. I know that we cant do anything about it with this absurd contract, which by the way, I don't blame Skerry for taking.....but if Towson cant afford to buy out a contract....that should tell everyone where we are financially and likely where we will continually be. We seem to be just another mid major with lots of hope and no money to back it up. 

31 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I don’t think a President should have any influence or at least the final say on selecting, extending or firing any coach. That’s why you hire Steve, though he won’t be the new president’s hire. It will be important for him to cultivate a relationship so he can be left alone in making those decisions. Most presidents understand that there’s more to a revenue coach being successful other than graduating players.

Why was Ambrose fired? Aside from mediocre results as of late, the attendance was not good. The energy for the program from the fanbase had slipped. 

5 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

If you had won something, then perhaps you could ask for more.....but continually asking for more and coming up short of expectations and blaming it on not getting enough has gotten old. I know that we cant do anything about it with this absurd contract, which by the way, I don't blame Skerry for taking.....but if Towson cant afford to buy out a contract....that should tell everyone where we are financially and likely where we will continually be. We seem to be just another mid major with lots of hope and no money to back it up. 

So if a new coach comes in, he shouldn’t ask for more money because he hadn’t won anything? I don’t have factual evidence about what’s going on in the new collective, but while we may never be Charleston in terms of the amount, I think there is potential to have a little something in the near future from what I’ve heard.

6 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

So if a new coach comes in, he shouldn’t ask for more money because he hadn’t won anything? I don’t have factual evidence about what’s going on in the new collective, but while we may never be Charleston in terms of the amount, I think there is potential to have a little something in the near future from what I’ve heard.

Not at all........Give a new coach a shot with some additional funds. We have done that with Skerry and he has failed. We should not keep throwing good money after bad with a coach that has won nothing. If Steve, and his judgement looks outstanding, believes in a new coach, give him your support and funds with the chance to prove himself. If he fails, the spigot is turned off.