• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

NIL Challenge

On 5/27/2023 at 10:04 AM, TSU88 said:

I share your frustration with Skerry’s inability thus far to have grabbed the brass ring. I think most, if not all of us, would agree that the decision to give him that lengthy contract extension was a huge mistake. Unfortunately, we’re saddled with it.  That extension is an albatross around our necks and is the gift that keeps on giving. Would love to know why Tim Leonard agreed to it in the first place. Maybe a 2-3 year extension, but 8 years?????

Well, I’d like to think we’re approaching a crossroads, where if the postseason futility continues that we move on. My concern though is that whoever the new University President is will stick with him, because he graduates kids and wins just enough games to look good on paper. Time will tell, but I’ve run out of patience. 

The Skerry extension was excessive, but that type of decision-making was exactly why I didn't want to entrust a football or basketball coaching hire to Tim Leonard as many were demanding. I actually have a decent amount of faith in Steve Eigenbrot's decision-making process and resume he brought to Towson. I think if the men's basketball program is not going in a direction he wants it to he will pull the trigger on Pat Skerry and hire a new coach.

However, the conversation about getting rid of Skerry doesn't make sense with what Eigonbrot has seen since he arrived on-campus. The program is 46-21 overall, 27-9 in conference play and won a regular-season conference title in the last two years (I know he caught the tail end of that first year). I get that Skerry has not done what he has needed to in the conference tournament for a prolonged amount of time, and I was pretty close to being with the group that wanted him out a few years ago. However, if you are Eigenbrot (who got here in February 2022) why would you be doing anything else but trying to get him more resources to try to get the program over the hump.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

The Skerry extension was excessive, but that type of decision-making was exactly why I didn't want to entrust a football or basketball coaching hire to Tim Leonard as many were demanding. I actually have a decent amount of faith in Steve Eigenbrot's decision-making process and resume he brought to Towson. I think if the men's basketball program is not going in a direction he wants it to he will pull the trigger on Pat Skerry and hire a new coach.

However, the conversation about getting rid of Skerry doesn't make sense with what Eigonbrot has seen since he arrived on-campus. The program is 46-21 overall, 27-9 in conference play and won a regular-season conference title in the last two years (I know he caught the tail end of that first year). I get that Skerry has not done what he has needed to in the conference tournament for a prolonged amount of time, and I was pretty close to being with the group that wanted him out a few years ago. However, if you are Eigenbrot (who got here in February 2022) why would you be doing anything else but trying to get him more resources to try to get the program over the hump.  

For the record, I’m not advocating for Skerry being fired. He’s got at least 3 years left on his contract. At the end of the contract, if he hasn’t won the conference championship, his contract should not be renewed. By that time it’ll have been 15 years. More than enough time & far from a small sample size. And I’m all for getting Skerry more resources. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 11:13 AM, Tgr4life said:

While this is an opinion, with no scientific data to back it up, I would say they are more appreciative of what they do receive, minimal as it might be, then the revenue sports whose athetes frequently expect rather than appreciate.

This is incredibly judgmental of a group of athletes with no facts behind it. 

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

This is incredibly judgmental of a group of athletes with no facts behind it. 

My friend, That is why I said it was an opinion with no scientific data behind it. I can only go by the student athletes I have met and talk to personally which covers practically all sports. I understand you think it is judgmental. I respect your point. However, I can only go by the eye test and the ear test. 

On 5/27/2023 at 11:40 AM, Tgr4life said:

Not at all........Give a new coach a shot with some additional funds. We have done that with Skerry and he has failed. We should not keep throwing good money after bad with a coach that has won nothing. If Steve, and his judgement looks outstanding, believes in a new coach, give him your support and funds with the chance to prove himself. If he fails, the spigot is turned off. 

He has won a lot and we should Be lucky that he is still here …atleast according to some on here 

3 hours ago, TSU88 said:

For the record, I’m not advocating for Skerry being fired. He’s got at least 3 years left on his contract. At the end of the contract, if he hasn’t won the conference championship, his contract should not be renewed. By that time it’ll have been 15 years. More than enough time & far from a small sample size. And I’m all for getting Skerry more resources. 

Needs to be canned before the contract runs out. 1-2 years out its shit or get off the pot time. That or we are lame duck territory again, Kennedy. Ambrose etc.  other schools can fire coaches with year(s) left. Why can’t we??

18 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

other schools can fire coaches with year(s) left. Why can’t we??

Because we either don’t have the money, or we do have it, but choose not to allocate it in this manner. The reason I don’t advocate for Skerry’s termination is because to do so quite frankly is a fool’s errand. The University, with Kennedy and Ambrose, has proven it’s not going to fire a football or MBB coach, but will instead wait the situation out, and let the lame duck twist in the wind. Sorry if I mixed my metaphors 

I’m not sure if it’s against the rules because they are bars. But all the places uptown should be throwing us some NIL money. Towson students pay them thousands nightly. Rec Room, CVP, Barley’s Backyard, Banditos, even Reservoir(RIP Lil Dicky’s, my personal favorite) 

5 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Because we either don’t have the money, or we do have it, but choose not to allocate it in this manner. The reason I don’t advocate for Skerry’s termination is because to do so quite frankly is a fool’s errand. The University, with Kennedy and Ambrose, has proven it’s not going to fire a football or MBB coach, but will instead wait the situation out, and let the lame duck twist in the wind. Sorry if I mixed my metaphors 

So we should drop down to a D2 program.  End of story.