• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
AtlantaTiger

Towson vs Michigan 1997

Apologies if this has been discussed on this forum in the past (I'm new here) but does anyone have any insight on how we were able to get Michigan to come to our place in 1997?  Despite the loss, it was the most exciting sports experience I had during my time at TU.  We came soooo close!  Any chance we ever get another high-major program to come to our building?

Since I’m always so negative on here.. I say no. It’s tough because we are pretty good now and it’s difficult to schedule. We would need to do a 2 for 1 but not many local big time schools play any road games. Maryland Georgetown play jokes of a schedule 

maybe we could get penn state?

I’d like some quality mid majors. Mount, Robert Morris, bucknell, Monmouth and a 10 schools. I am definitely in the minority but the coppin umbc morgan Loyola games do nothing for me

Pat has addressed that several times this year and he basically says we're not going to play 2 for 1 though I agree it might be worth it just to get somebody really good (not Penn State). I'd have to go back to the quotes earlier in the season but it's not as if we haven't asked schools to come here. No way Maryland or Georgetown comes here. There's very little to gain for them playing here even if Terps fans would flood the place and it would 50/50 Towson/Md fans.

Michigan was great but Louisville two years before was even better. We were lucky to get both at home. You basically never see that anymore at any mid-major. We did get Temple to come here and that's about as good as it will get barring a team that has a strong connection with the head coach.

Here is one of those early quotes about scheduling

On schedule

It has become harder to get people to come here and play. Georgetown and Richmond wouldn't play us in that open date we had. So they decided to play each other. We'd be happy to start a series with any of the local teams. Georgetown, Md, Mason, GW. Any time they want to play home and home, we'll do it.

Michigan was awesome - packed house, christened our new hardwood floor (used to play on that rubber composite floor). Robert “tractor” Traylor on Michigan I remember.

wasnt there for Louisville - I think it was during winter break?

Louisville game was awesome. It was a bit of a down year for Louisville, but hey, it was still Louisville & Denny Crum. We actually put in our bench players at the end of the game, as we had a comfortable lead. 

I’m thinking there was some connection between Truax & Crum, but I’m just guessing. 

Dont recall how we got Michigan to come here. Didn’t they have a local kid on their team (wanna say his name was Bullock). Maybe it was a reward game for him. I remember we played North Carolina one year in Hershey, & that was a reward game for Jeff Lebo, as I recall. 

Edited by TSU88

Louisville needed an opponent that year and we basically we had an opening. I believe we had play them twice down there. I know they destroyed us at Freedom Hall the next season.