• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
AtlantaTiger

Towson vs Michigan 1997

I really really hope we don’t play any D III home games next season. As a season ticket holder, I feel cheated. And I don’t want to hear about no one wants to play us at SECU. I’d rather us simply play an extra road game then play a D III at home

I would rather see Towson get steamrolled in the non-conference schedule by superior, nationally recognized programs to prepare for conference play than beat up a bunch of cupcakes and get a false sense of ability.

I would think we could get home & homes with the likes of St. John’s, Seton Hall, Providence.  I would even prefer schools like Marshall, Toledo, UCF over Coppin etc.

57 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I would rather us not play nationally ranked teams as that does nothing for preparing us. Need quality mid majors.  

Still need some money games.

Michigan game -- it was for Louis Bullock who was a local kid that played at Michigan.  It also helped that Michigan was coached at the time by Brian Ellerbee, who had previously been the Loyola coach.  So Truax knew Brian and they were able to work out a deal.  We really should have won that game that night.  Raul de Pablo hit, I believe, 7 3's in that game and it was a classic Truax game against a 'name' opponent -- hang in for a long time and then find some way to not come out on top (had similar games against Arizona and WVU (though we did beat them in 94)).

Louisville -- We just passed the 23rd anniversary of that game (will always hang on to that ticket stub).  Louisville was down but as was said earlier, they were still a name team at the time.  Pretty amazing performance by everyone that played that night and you can never forget getting to storm the court after that big win.  But, as noted, we fell apart, losing to Radford in the very next game and then getting whacked by 30 in the conference tournament.

As for future schedules, I agree on the no D3 stuff.  That's preseason material.  Skerry seemed pretty adamant about wanting to get teams to come to SECU when I talked to him in November.  Schools he mentioned were LaSalle, St. Joe's, Richmond.  While pulling in another 'name' team might put butts in the seats, playing a team like ODU or Mason or even VCU will tell you more about your team.  Mat's right, though, we do need to have a money game or two in there.  

Everyone remembers that Louisville was down that year, but what people always fail to remember is they beat a really good Kentucky team on New Year's Day that year. That was a pretty mediocre Louisville squad, but they were up and down through the year. One of the things that makes me feel old when I look at those seasons is Louisville was in the Metro and we were in the Big South. Since that time, Louisville played in Conference USA (Metro rebranded), the Big East and the ACC. 

As for future schedules, I understand Skerry's sentiment, but playing D-3 teams is just not a great look and it is a waste of time any time other than exhibition portion of the season.