• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB blows 11 point lead, falls at JMU , 79-73

As a Wizards fan, it took Wall getting injured for that team to realize that they had the play the right way without him. Everybody gets a touch. With this team, if they have the ball, it's going up. My turn. Eddie mad one great play today off the bounce and it was a nice pass to Zane for an easy layup in the first half. We never see enough of that with these guys. It's all about getting to the basket and drawing the foul or throwing up some crap. On D, it seems like they are losing that edge. Maybe Morman was a distraction in some ways but he was also the best perimeter defender (when he was locked in). Unfortunately, he thought he was more than that. Until they realize it's about the team first and stats later, they will be a .500 team the rest of the way and might win one game in the tournament assuming they don't drop to 7th.

37 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

He got open because we let Mosley dribble-penetrate all day so Gorham had to come off his man to help. Nobody was really big enough to rotate. Keith tries but he's too short at 6-5. Alex is the best post defender by far though he was banged up today. Not sure if he would have made a difference. I would have used Tunstall more against Phillips though Dennis was not good today either.

I was talking about when he posted up. He literally camped out right outside the circle and just bullied Justin.  

We have 3 10 point second half blown leads. 2 on the road to bad teams and one at home.  Without those...guess what, we would be in first...

Just now, TuTigers2012 said:

I was talking about when he posted up. He literally camped out right outside the circle and just bullied Justin.  

We have 3 10 point second half blown leads. 2 on the road to bad teams and one at home.  Without those...guess what, we would be in first...

Not going to defend Justin, but in small doses last year, he was better than JD and Moto in post D. And he was 220. Not sure what happened this year but as I said in the offseason, that we needed to replace JD and Moto and we didn't. Next year, he'll play the 4 most of the time.

I have of course followed all season from the left coast and was fortunate to attend a game at SECU a week ago when we shit the bed in the first half of the Elon game.  I saw EK argue with Skerry a couple of times on the sideline.  Mind you EK is a player I’ve enjoyed the past 4 years.  When he and Morsell were signing the posters after the game and we spoke I got the sense from their mannerisms and answers that they may have already checked out.  My opinion of course.  I’ve been waiting 27 years like the rest of you.  I showed up on campus in the Fall of 91’.  What a massive drought.

Let me first say that we have so much talent now...  Zane could really be something spectacular the next 2 seasons if he adjusts his game and of course they work him off of screens better.  I’d have Martin watch Warriors game film all off season.  He learns to catch and shoot with a pass first point guard in place.. POY. 

I agree with all of your assessments this season.  PG & Post presence have really hurt us.  

I’m always gonna go down with the ship.  This team still wins 20 but our magical season is no more ..  nice run in the non conference though.

Ultimately we need more basketball IQ on the court plain and simple and a captain to lead us.

Hang in there...  our dance will come.  

SECU is awesome   Our band is amazing. Our PA announcer is dynamite.  I still have to pinch myself seeing it all in person.

It was like yesterday I was walking through the Towson Center as Jason Crump had his plyometric shoes while practicing his drop step move.

We have come so far as a program.  

Go Tigers!

Usually seniors on the team are sources of leadership & clutch play. Not so with this squad. EK can’t keep his emotions in check, Starr doesn’t come across to me as a “rah-rah” leader, Morman got the boot & Mike definitely doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who’s going to get in a teammates face. As I’ve said before, other than Morsell’s scoring, it’s going to be addition by substraction when this group of seniors play their last game.

The wheels are just off the cart. Shaky PG play, no true big man, defense that regularly gives up 25+ point games to another player on the opposition, shrinking depth, guys playing banged up, and most troubling is the inability to hold a lead. 

Are the right kids being brought in, are they being coached up correctly, have some of them tuned out Skerry? I suppose in retrospect this team was overrated in terms of being the preseason #2 pick, & the 10-1 start sucked me in. If we lose to Drexel on Thursday (a very real possibility) I think we’re destined for 7th place in the conference, which comes with a play-in game in the conference tournament. Honestly, just speaking for myself, I’ve already  begun thinking more in terms of the composition of next years team, as I’m resigned to another disappointing end to a season.

Edited by TSU88

I think this year is completely different than last season. We started out slow in conference then went on a huge heater. We won 11 of 12 games after the JD speech and even in our two losses after that, we played a great UNCW team tight and lost at W&M by four. That of course, was without JD, who was shot in the knee after the Drexel game and we stilll won two straight after that. For whatever reason, that team was more together and mentally tougher than this squad. And basically all the same players are back save for Moto, who had his inconsistent play. It's tough to figure this team out. I don't think guys that are playing on a regular basis are checking out. Maybe they just feel worn down by the season, by Skerry and school. Let's face it, they started out in Canada, went to Florida and then N. Ireland a week later. Got votes in the top 25 and got thrown into four tough road games against Oakland, Pitt, Charleston and Elon. Unlike last season, when we recovered after that meeting, we've never really recovered from that four-game losing streak, where we blew two games late. Other than W&M on the road, it's tough to be impressed with any of our CAA games this season.

John Davis, though no defensive wizard, was a guy we could go to down low in the clutch. Moto was a guy that teams had to gameplan for even if he didn't have a great senior season. Nobody scares you up front on this team. Not in terms of production. It's not like Gorham is going to turn into JD all of a sudden as a low-post scorer. EK was playing backup point last season. Now he's trying to play power forward. He's basically done everything Skerry has asked of him. I think we've just pushed him a little too far of what his capabilities are.

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

I have of course followed all season from the left coast and was fortunate to attend a game at SECU a week ago when we shit the bed in the first half of the Elon game.  I saw EK argue with Skerry a couple of times on the sideline.  Mind you EK is a player I’ve enjoyed the past 4 years.  When he and Morsell were signing the posters after the game and we spoke I got the sense from their mannerisms and answers that they may have already checked out.  My opinion of course.  I’ve been waiting 27 years like the rest of you.  I showed up on campus in the Fall of 91’.  What a massive drought.

Let me first say that we have so much talent now...  Zane could really be something spectacular the next 2 seasons if he adjusts his game and of course they work him off of screens better.  I’d have Martin watch Warriors game film all off season.  He learns to catch and shoot with a pass first point guard in place.. POY. 

I agree with all of your assessments this season.  PG & Post presence have really hurt us.  

I’m always gonna go down with the ship.  This team still wins 20 but our magical season is no more ..  nice run in the non conference though.

Ultimately we need more basketball IQ on the court plain and simple and a captain to lead us.

Hang in there...  our dance will come.  

SECU is awesome   Our band is amazing. Our PA announcer is dynamite.  I still have to pinch myself seeing it all in person.

It was like yesterday I was walking through the Towson Center as Jason Crump had his plyometric shoes while practicing his drop step move.

We have come so far as a program.  

Go Tigers!

Welcome back. Good to hear from you again from the old CAAZone days. Glad you could visit SECU.