• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Grad transfer for next season?

Was pondering this the other day when we talked about a grad transfer at point guard for next season. Not saying I want two grad transfers but it was consider this guy at the 2/3. This player from Oxon Hill is not a point guard but he's big enough to play the 3 (6-4, 220) and can put the ball on the deck and score. Pretty good 3 point shooter. Not a bad defender. Has always been hurt but is shooting 40% from beyond the arc this season.

Yes, he certainly he is in that grad transfer category.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3131633/dion-wiley

Interesting thought, but he’s not a PG (as you pointed out) though I guess he could play the 3.

Honestly, I just want us to bring in someone so that McNeil doesn’t have to start next year. If he starts, we’re in trouble. I don’t care if they go with Gorham, Sanders & Solomon U as the starters up front. Rather see that then McNeil starting.

Oh, I totally agree.  If you look on verbal commits, we have a number of offers out to JUCO’s. And, for what it’s worth, one of our coaches is following (and is being followed) by a number of JUCO’s as well as a couple HS kids who haven’t committed yet. 

Can't rely on jucos. They are a 50-50 shot at best. Certainly don't want another juco point guard. The best grad transer point guard would be a Bryton Barr clone, somebody who was injury-prone and has two seasons left. But that's a risk as well. Wish Prophete was ready or even close. 

Sorry, just a bit frustrated that Prophete has not improved or shown enough to even be considered to start next season. If he can't even get any minutes for team that is playing a small forward with no real point guard skills as the backup point guard, it's not a great sign for his future. We shouldn't be settling for a grad transfer or any kind of transfer when you've just signed a freshman point guard. But here we are searching for another one because Hairston and Hawkins didn't pan out., while Prophete has never played meaningful minutes in his first season.

Hey, you’re preaching to the choir when you mention being frustrated. I know I’m just an armchair coach, second guessing, Monday morning quarterback, but by any objective measure, Skerry has failed miserably in his tenure in bringing in even a competent PG. I bet every other team in the conference over the same period of time has been better than us in this regard.

The one that still baffles me to this day is us not recruiting Kirk Lee, Jr. Local kid & son of the best player in program history. I guess 13 ppg & 4 apg isn’t what we’re looking for (sarcasm intended).

Maybe Dottin will end the drought. I’ll beli it if/when I see it

The lack of pg has always baffled me. As great as our graduation rate has been under skerry (100% and kudos to him ) we have lost a lot of players throughout the years

Hence why I’m big supporters of players who stick around  mike Eddie jd and tj. The only 4 year players. 

Bur id kill for a 4.5 assist a game pg 

I do think Zane, if he sticks around, can be a very special player, maybe best all time (stat wise)