• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Grad transfer for next season?

Hairston was big and could score. Selfish player for a point guard. Shame that some kids are all about themselves and not the team. You can put up good stats and still grasp the team concept. 

Three star combo guard.

ESPN Analyst
Updated 09/01/2015

Strengths:
Robinson has a terrific frame with very long arms, big hands, and high hips. He is very crafty with the ball in his hands and his handle is tight and low. He can break defenders down off the dribble (solid 1st step) and his vision is excellent. He is quite good at the dribble-drive kick-out pass as well as finding teammates in the paint area. In the open court he changes speeds very well to keep defenders off balance and his runner in the paint is potent.

Weaknesses:
Robinson can penetrate into teeth of the defense and leave his feet while passing--usually leading to a turnover. He needs to play on balance a bit more and learn to make the efficient play. His jump shot in the mid-range area is solid, but he needs to improve the consistency of his 3-point shot (get legs into his shot).

Bottom Line:
Robinson is an intriguing point guard prospect with a solid skill set and savvy. If the range on his jump shot improves, he has the size, athleticism, savvy, and ball skills to be a Division I point guard.

Ok, since I've nothing better to do at the moment, I've indulged myself in looking up more of Mr. Robinson's stats.  In his last 4 games, he's 11-49 from the field.  For you non-math majors, that's 22%.  He's also had games this season of 8 turnovers, 6 turnovers (twice), 5 turnovers (twice) and 4 turnovers (3 times). Here are some of his shooting lines this season: 4-15, 1-12, 5-17, 3-16 (twice), & 3-14 (twice).

Granted, I've never seen him play, and he might be the next Trae Young, but these numbers can't but help lead me to wonder if he's the next Josh Ivory.

Edited by TSU88

25 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Ok, since I've nothing better to do at the moment, I've indulged myself in looking up more of Mr. Robinson's stats.  In his last 4 games, he's 11-49 from the field.  For you non-math majors, that's 22%.  He's also had games this season of 8 turnovers, 6 turnovers (twice), 5 turnovers (twice) and 4 turnovers (3 times). Here are some of his shooting lines this season: 4-15, 1-12, 5-17, 3-16 (twice), & 3-14 (twice).

Granted, I've never seen him play, and he might be the next Trae Young, but these numbers can't but help lead me to wonder if he's the next Josh Ivory.

For high school kids, I think it's probably best to judge them based on seeing their games versus just seeing their stat lines.  That way, you can see what kind of teammates he's playing alongside.  If his teammates aren't that talented, he probably feels like he has to take over more and be the guy to not just handle the ball but also take the shot.  Having reffed HS ball for a number of years, I've seen plenty of games where a kid is pretty good but he has a terrible game with a lot of turnovers because he doesn't trust his teammates and tries to do everything himself.  Those who recruit him obviously see the upside and think they can mold him into the type of player that can trust his teammates and doesn't have to do it all himself.

Obviously the numbers are not good. Haven't seen video on him. He's a juco and the turnover numbers, whether it's his fault or not, is not a great sign for a point guard. Josh Ivory was built like a linebacker and had very few skills. He actually played some in D1 before going juco but has very little quickness or lift. Sounds like this kid is athletic and maybe can help depth-wise but doesn't sound like starting-material. Three star guys coming out of HS do not always work out.

It's perhaps analogous to comparing an apple to an orange, but here goes-In Starr's last year in JUCO he averaged basically the same in ppg, 14, as Robinson.  His shooting percentage was slightly better (41% to 36% for Robinson) but he averaged 7 apg compared to Robinson's 4.  Based on these metrics, one could argue Starr was the better JUCO player.  Given what we now know about Starr as a mid-major DI PG, it's begs the question whether Robinson would be an asset, with the caveat I've never seen him play along with the fact our coaching staff must see something in if they've offered him

• Like 1