• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB comes back from 18 down to beat Drexel in OT

Quite a comeback, at the risk of stating the obvious. Usually we’re the ones yakking a big lead. This W keeps us 2 games up on Drexel, who was coming in on a hot streak. 

EK 9-11 from the field & 8 boards. Wish he could bottle that. And not enough superlatives for the night Morsell had. Great shooting & took over at the end. I’m hoping this will be a springboard for him going forward. ZM 10-27 from the field but hey 25 points. However, these technical fouls must stop! It shows a lack of discipline and Skerry needs to put his foot down (assuming he already hasn’t). 

The crazy thing is we still have a shot at finishing as high as 2nd in the conference. Even though NE is 2 games up on us, we play them 2X, including this Saturday. Hofstra is only 1 game up, & we still have a game left with them, & W&M is only 1 up on us. If we finish tied with them, we hold the tiebreaker (I would think) by virtue of having beaten them twice. 

Saturday’s game thus shapes up as a big one. Hopefully a big crowd, with the students back.

Nice of the Good Mike to show up in the last 5 minutes and OT.  Would be nice if he'd hang around for a few more weeks.  The key to this game was finally buckling down at the defensive end of the floor.  They were getting TORCHED every which way you can think of -- stepbacks, drives, dishoffs.  Drexel was doing many things right on the offensive end.  As Skerry said after the game, we weren't staying in front of anyone.  That and they couldn't get a defensive board when they needed it.  It was a pretty frustrating game to watch but again, they figured out a way and it would be nice if the team that played the final 10 minutes of the game would be the one that would play the full 40 minutes of every game.

If Zane is going to be a future leader, he's gotta get that intensity under control.  He's lucky that T didn't cost them.  After he got it, I almost wrote us off, figuring that Drexel would at least get 3 out of 4 FT.  Instead, they only got 1 out of 3 and left the door open for Morsell's heroics.  As a result of that T, he ends up fouling out with a couple minutes left in OT and again, that could have been the death knell.  Channel the intensity elsewhere instead of at the officials.

One other thing -- if you think we're the only team that has trouble with end-of-clock scenarios, take another look at that garbage that Drexel tossed out there at the end of regulation and OT.  A tie game and the best they can do is chuck a 3 with zero ball movement and then down 2, Lee (or Isabell, can't remember which) goes sort of half-heartedly to the basket and never gives his teammates any time to get a potential rebound.  It's an epidemic in college basketball and you're going to see more and more of this as the games get more crucial.

One of the best comeback wins since Oregon State. I took two stars to deliver. Like I said on the chat, that's now 3 straight techs in 3 straight games for Zane. Wonderful player but I would not start him against Northeastern on Saturday. Time to send a message. This is ridiculous.

But they showed amazing heart. I thought they were down and out at least three times. Turning point was not only Zane going Zaino Draino for about 3-4 minutes but also Austin Williams getting injured. That helped us on the boards. When EK drives and doesn't turn it over. he can score.

Huge win on an Eagles day in Philly.  

What a discrepancy in foul shots...  18 more than us.  

Morsell needs to play with this kind of confidence the rest of the way and finish his career the right way.  8th in scoring now!?  

Gonna be a 20 win team most likely...  here’s hoping this game awakens us and we go on a run.  

We actually owe Northeastern a beat down at home.  Hope the place is rocking.  

On a side note I’m at a WCC game tonight where Terry Porter is in his second season at Portland.  We also have Damon Stoudamire at Pacific.  Of courss Ewing and Mullin at their Alma Maters.  

Maybe this is gonna be an upward trend..  more ex NBA guys wanting to coach in the college ranks!?

Hopefully this win brings the team closer and becomes something they can rally around for the final part of the season and into the conference tourney.  Tons of credit is due to Coach and his guys.....however, they can't afford to sleep-walk like they tend to do at the start of the second half of games, especially against the better teams in the CAA.  Towson needs to find a way to come out of the gates a lot faster with much more intensity.

Go Tigers!