• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Random observations

(1) The better team won today. Nuff said. Their #4 is a star & their ball movement was a thing to envy;

(2) We didn’t underachieve today. See #1 (they are the better team);

(3) We have 2 consistent scorers. And for some inexplicable reason, ZM can’t score in the 1st half of many games;

(4) We are generally undisciplined & have a low basketball IQ. Some of Starr’s passing today was breathtakingly bad. Same though for EK & ZM;

(5) Gorham is undersized & outmanned inside. We got zip from Thomas;

(6) If today is was the best we could do, at home, coming off a big W, in an important game, then our best isn’t good enough;

(7) We ain’t beating NE on the road. Debatable whether we’re beating Hofstra on the road. 9-9 conference finish is my guess. Appropriate for an average team;

(8) Factors 1-7 above suggest a quick exit from the conference tournament 

9) 2pm Saturday game and lots of empty seats...  disheartening.  I’m not asking for a sellout but aren’t students free!?  Fans can’t play for them but extra noise can’t hurt.  

Agree with 1-8..  and it’s the old saying..  dig a whole early and you expend so much more energy trying to climb back in the rest of the way.  We don’t rotate well on defense and we let too many teams catch and shoot on us without making them at least bounce it.  

I just don’t see the love of the game out there...  the emotion...  we look rundown and tired which I get sorta.  

Going forward they need to figure out a way to get ZM going sooner and not digging these early double digit holes. 

We need a floor general out there and it’s doesn’t have to be the PG...  someone with a sense of urgency and more vocal.  

We didn’t defend well in the first half and paid for it.  2-3 backdoor layups etc. 

Building for next season now...   let Prophete take more of Starr’s minutes.  

Horrible student turnout. It was a downpour so I guess they didn't want to leave the dorm to walk or take a shuttle bus. No reason not to get close to 4,000 on a Saturday afternoon on Autism Awareness Day when you know you are probably going to get about 1,000 extra people. If the team was better, maybe they get 500 more. Our fans will always be the worst. But also half the lower-bowl people didn't show up.

Prophete has played about 3 minutes in each of the last 3 games, all in the first half. Baby steps. He has to take McNeill's minutes first and move Jordan to the wing. He hasn't earned Starr's minutes yet. I mean he really hasn't earned anything aside from playing better in practice.

Actually, the crowd wasn’t bad today, by our standards, which I concede is a fairly low bar to clear. They actually had people seated in the upper level today, which is rare. For some reason, some people don’t come down to their seats in the bowl, but rather mill around on the concourse level. As for the students, it was raining, so you can’t expect them to get wet, can you??

We don’t defend well, period. Every game the opposition has a guy score 25 points or more.

Leadership often comes from seniors-not with this group. EK is passionate, but often times he’s bickering with teammates and/or coaches. Starr & Morsell just don’t appear to be floor general types. There’s always Morman though...oh wait, never mind

I don’t see Prophete getting any meaningful minutes. It would be waving the white flag on this season, plus I don’t think he’s the answer at PG in any event 

Edited by TSU88

Let me be clear..  I’m not asking Prophete to get 15+ minutes a game.  That I get and yes he has to earn those minutes.  

I just don’t think 3 is enough right now.  8-10.  Again we haven’t had a bad season and we will get some more wins hopefully but I just don’t see this team doing much in the postseason..  we lack energy and this group isn’t having fun.  Happens of course. 

Just think we gotta start mixing it up more...  can’t hurt right!?  Bigs always take longer but man it hurts seeing Thomas as a junior and really nothing to show for it.  

I like what Tunstall & Gorham bring to the table but it’s still not enough.  Grab a grad transfer Big as well.  We’ve had success with our last two.  

I agree that Prophete should get 8-10 minutes at the point. What do we have to lose? It will give them a bigger sample size though I know they don't have faith in him as the starter next season. If he can't be productive in those 8-10 minutes, maybe it's just never going to work out here. That or he can be the 12th or 13th man. However, he is a willing passer. That's something that's needed on this team. Even Starr doesn't pass enough. When he does make that extra pass when he drives the lane, it usually leads to a basket.

Let’s face it, if Morman hadn’t of gotten the boot, Prophete wouldn’t even be getting 3 minutes a game. Remember Gorham & ZM last year? They made their way into the rotation, & made modest scoring contributions. In fact, ZM really came on at the end of the season. Contrast that with Prophete, who has one more basket than I do this year. What makes it so disappointing to me is that he was a scoring machine in HS-finished top 10 in the country.  My prediction...he’s last man off the bench next year, if he’s still here

This year's freshman class, even more than this year's juniors (the hapless Thomas and oft-times hapless McNeill), looks like the lost recruiting generation. The guys who've been here for four years and qualified as contributors showed their potential as freshman (JD, Parker-Rivera, MM and EK, to name a few of the top of my head). What's mystifying to me is that many other CAA teams have attracted Eastern European players, who seem to be fundamentally sound and often are good shooters (prime example: No. 4 on NE). Are we unable to do the same or do we just not try?

Drexel has a good player from Turkey. NE has the Serbian kid. Remember the French grad transfer big we had from Dayton? He didn’t work out.

Unless Drayton pans out next year (and unless Prophete has a startling transformation) this past recruiting class will be a complete flop, although I guess Sanders, the Duquesne transfer counts as part of this class).

We can’t afford a lackluster recruiting class for this coming fall, I know that. There are still 2 ships open. We desperately need a PG (which Skerry has been abysmal at recruiting) & a big guard/small forward type. Right now, as things stand, the PG’s next season are Prophete & Dottin, the incoming freshman. That doesn’t fill me with great optimism