• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls at home to Northeastern, 77-62

Skerry opening comment

We got taken to the wood shed. We were continually behind. A couple of times, we cut it down to single digits, we just
didn't guard. We didn't keep the ball in front, committed silly fouls, we didn't guard threes. It's been an issue for
us when we don't make shots. We're not mentally tough enough to sustain our defensive focus. That's hurt us. That's
the reality. Guys are playing hard, guys want to win. But we're not mentally tough enough, mentally disciplined enough
to sustain defensive effort. Every guy is guilty of it.

On seniors
It's disappointing. We've been fighting it for awhile. That's why we have these ups and downs. This is a different
group because, normally we've had some slow starting groups and then played well late in the year. This group has been
very up and down. We didn't handle prosperity well. Guys want to do what they think is more important. We have the tools
physically to defend. Our non-conference (slate), we played like the 150th best schedule and we're top 30 in every
defensive category. Now we're just inconsistent. Played that way (against Drexel) We're making more changes then we normally we do because we're trying
to get stops. That's a good team. We're in the best offensive league in the country. But we've been so, when the ball goes
in, we have energy. We're locked in. Go right through the lineup: Justin missed some shots and had foolish fouls, out
of position. Eddie kills us defensively and is not making any plays. Zane not good defensively. Brian has been sold
(on D). Mike, the same thing. When the ball doesn't go in the basket...Go right down the line, Jordan...The problem
is that there are a lot of good teams in this league on the offensive end. It only takes one guy to do us in. We've
haven't had this type of group before defensively. We've had a lot of groups that have labered to score but the problem
becomes the night when you labor to score, we labored to score today, we missed some shots. The lane was crowded,
we pressed a bit. Now we're not mentally tough enough to dig in and get some stops. We got it down and we give up a
couple of easy plays, then we have a scouting report error. Yeah, the other night, they made some shots late in the clock
and surprisingly we didn't buckle. If we don't figure that out, then it's going to be short-lived.

On veterans stepping up
They're good players and they're trying. It's not really in their DNA. We don't have a Damas, TJ Parker, John Davis.
We don't have that type of personality. We have some good guys. Talented guys. Unfortunately are inconsitent. It's
a mental issue. That doesn't mean that we can't get beat if we are sharp. Don't worry about that play. Don't worry about
that missed shot. This group is challenging. I'm not getting the message through. The guys that are with me are not
getting the message through. We did earlier in the year. We were able to right the ship. Guys have to consistenlty
drink the kool-aid.

On NE Defense
You are supposed to contest every shot. That's basketball. We clearly didn't do that. What does talking take? It doesn't
take any talent. It takes concentration. They came in as the number one rated defensive team in our league They have
good size. The message was that we can't leave our feet. We had some careless turnovers. They are not a team that
forces a lot of turnovers. Guys want to make plays. Have a little more patience. Mike tries to make a move and it's
covered up and forces a shot. At some point, tht is going to resonate or it isn't.

On energy level
It's based on our offense. That's the challenge with this group. We missed some easy shots and they threw in some
shots late in the shotclock. That's captain obvious. It's easy to get excited when you make shots but basketball
doesn't work that way. We had the best record in CAA games over past few years after being down double digits to
come back and win. It wasn't because we were making a lot of threes. It was because we weren't afraid to get a little
dirt underneath our fingernails. We're not consistently willing to do that.

On timeouts
These are their money plays. Based on film. Take an educated guess and hoping that we can get a stop. They are good team.
It's disappointing. Hopefully we can get the mental piece figured out. If you are a good player, when things don't work
out your way going through the basket, you find other ways to impact the game. There are no trades at this point. There
are no players to be named later.

On special day
It's been good. Obviously a good turnout. Good energy in the building. Hopefully raise a lot of awareness. Appreciate
everybody coming out. Just when you try to figure out what's wrong with your team, you want to figure out how to make
it better. That's what it's about. We'll keep chopping wood at both of them (team and Austism). Not easy but that's kind
of what we signed up for.

Ok, let's start with conference stats. Coming into today, we led the league in rebounding margin and blocked shots. We were 8th in assists, first in steals and 9th in assist/turnover margin. We were 4th in FG defense at 45.5%, 6th in 3pt defense at 36.3%, and 3rd in overall field goal percentage at 48.1%

Point is, this team does not defend since conference play began, at least up to our standards. On offense, the ball doesn't move. We had 9 assists and 13 turnovers. Some of that is just missing but how many good looks did we get because somebody made the extra pass? One maybe. Mike gets doubled in the post, waits for the double to leave and still shoots. I know Zane and Mike are going to take bad shots but Gorham isn't horrible. He can make shots though he struggles in the paint against bigger players. He needs a consistent mid-range game and a jump hook. He also needs to play more power forward. Starting him with Eddie Keith is not the way to go. I know Alex has been banged up but I think it's time to start Tunstall. Even if he can only play 20 minutes, it helps Justin to have his defensive help. Also like Dennis' energy today. Nobody else really gave it. Problem is, we just don't have that 6-7, 240 pound beast down low to finish or draw fouls. Kind of like Moto. Hopefully Sanders and Soloman will help out next season.

My expectations are lowered on this team. If I had to pick them again, instead of third, I'd probably pick them at sixth. Elon, even though they've struggled is better. NE is better. Charleston is better. Hofstra might be better and W&M is coming down a bit though they won big today.

I just think this is who we are. You can't continue to start games like this over and over and over again and expect to win. Wouldn't it be nice to have a transfer like Pusica running the offense? He's had 23 points on 7 of 10 shooting.

Like.everyone says you never know which team is going to show up. Thought they would bring the energy today with it being the autism game which is very close to Skerry. Skerry is still a class act as a coach. Looked like NE coach and student assistant was yelling at towson fans at the end of the game. Crazy to see that happen after his team just won by 15.

Edited by Tiger1stRow

Skerry’s comments are just words in the wind. He’s right about one thing though-.there aren’t any trades to be made & there’s no one to call up from the minors. 

Skerry deserves accolades for graduating kids & resuscitating this program from the dead. Personally, I think he’s plateaued & I don’t see him getting us to the NCAA tournament.  Call it second guessing, call it Monday morning quarterbacking, but I question whether he’s bringing in the right type of players by in large, both from a physical & mental standpoint. Too much undisciplined, low basketball IQ plays. We played a TEAM today. Conversely, we are a group of individuals, with one or two guys who can make some 1-on-1 plays. So much of college basketball is driven by 3-point shooting. Give me a few players who can drain the 3, make smart passes, & play solid fundamental D. Looking forward for a moment to next season, who do we have that will be a consistent 3-point threat, other than ZM? Meanwhile, the other conference teams seem to be stockpiling 3-point shooters. We are losing the arms race 

Need a point guard. Every year, same thing. Even if the offense doesn't depend on him, we need one. Now defensive weakness is another issue but if they played better offense, they'd be more focused on D.

42 minutes ago, Tiger1stRow said:

Like.everyone says you never know which team is going to show up. Thought they would bring the energy today with it being the autism game which is very close to Skerry. Skerry is still a class act as a coach. Looked like NE coach and student assistant was yelling at towson fans at the end of the game. Crazy to see that happen after his team just won by 15.

I thought it was low-class for Coen to have his starters n the last minute esp. Pusica when we waved the white flag and had our walk-on and third-string point guard in.

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Skerry’s comments are just words in the wind. He’s right about one thing though-.there aren’t any trades to be made & there’s no one to call up from the minors. 

Skerry deserves accolades for graduating kids & resuscitating this program from the dead. Personally, I think he’s plateaued & I don’t see him getting us to the NCAA tournament.  Call it second guessing, call it Monday morning quarterbacking, but I question whether he’s bringing in the right type of players by in large, both from a physical & mental standpoint. Too much undisciplined, low basketball IQ plays. We played a TEAM today. Conversely, we are a group of individuals, with one or two guys who can make some 1-on-1 plays. So much of college basketball is driven by 3-point shooting. Give me a few players who can drain the 3, make smart passes, & play solid fundamental D. Looking forward for a moment to next season, who do we have that will be a consistent 3-point threat, other than ZM? Meanwhile, the other conference teams seem to be stockpiling 3-point shooters. We are losing the arms race 

Been saying Skerry has plateaued for several seasons now. That first half was pretty bad to watch. Same ole song...

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I thought it was low-class for Coen to have his starters n the last minute esp. Pusica when we waved the white flag and had our walk-on and third-string point guard in.

Odd. I always thought he was a high class coach. Certainly the best x and o coach in the caa. And it’s not even close 

he was barking at refs right at half and had a member of his staff yell at the scorers table and ref about the balls?