• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Since Skerry became coach

I believe only us, Drexel & Elon have not made it to the conference championship game. Not sure Elon has even been in the CAA that entire time.

We also haven’t won more than 1 game in any conference tournament in the Skerry era

Thanks for the correction. 

I don’t know about the rest of you, but this is a depressing stat. We are the ONLY team in the conference, excluding recent addition Elon, not to make it to the tournament championship game in the Skerry era. 

From Jazz to Hunt to PK. we were horrendous. There's no denying that PS made this program legit even if the program still has some flaws. There's no doubt that not making the final is a problem and a hole in PS' resume'.

As far as "bludgeoning people to death", that's not exactly what this team is about. Our frontcourt is not good. There's nobody you can really go to in crunch time. Gorham might get there one day but he's not a viable option now. Going to the line is part of our MO but we don't have a lot of great slashers other than Zane and for some reason, he doesn't get a bunch of calls. Whenever EK drives to the basket, I want to take my eyes out and thrown them on the court.

Rebounding is still important in today's game but so is good guard play. Protecting the rim. Defense is also important. Ask W&M. This team is mediocre on D and has two scorers. That's it. When they are off, we can't win.

But please find a good point guard. That's the difference between a 20-win season and another fifth-place finish and a 24-win season and a title.

14 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Um, there’s an addage that goes “the buck stops here.” If it’s not Skerry’s shortcoming, who’s is it?

If players don't want to be coached, then I'm not sure what else can be done until you have player turnover at the end of the season.  I'm guessing the switch was flipped with the attitude on this team when they came off the 4-game losing streak following the 10-1 start.  It's easy to get down when you yak at least 2 of those games on that trip that should have been wins.  But unlike past years, there's nobody on this team that is a leader on the floor.  It should be a senior like Morsell or Morman (before his departure) but they aren't/weren't leader types.  As a result, you have the bickering and the angry faces and the frustration that you see on the court every single game.  And now, you can see a little bit of selfishness creeping in to the way they play, especially on offense.  Rather than trying to work the ball with an extra pass as has been noted by other posters, Morsell and Zane seem to be hellbent on going to the basket or taking whatever shot comes up no matter how trapped they are.  And then that trickles down to the rest of the team -- for example, McNeill came down 1 on 3 in the first half yesterday and decided to dribble out to the left wing and chuck up a 3.  Completely unnecessary.  Where's the leader on the floor to grab him and tell him that's not the shot we take?  Unfortunately, we don't have one.  JD was the reason they came out of their funk at the beginning of the conference season last year.  This year, no one wanted to be the glue and as a result, we're mediocre.  There isn't much coaching that can be done when your players want to do their own thing.  So, you graduate the seniors and you take a hard look at some of your potential returning players (I'm looking at you, Thomas and McNeill) and if there's a way to make changes there, you do it.  But at some point, the players have to want the result for the team (that 'sacrifice' that was talked about so much over the summer) and stop being so damn selfish.

Given the benefit of calm reflection today, after yesterday’s debacle, I agree with the thesis of your post-that we have no leadership on this team. I do think Zane has the potential to be that leader next year, when he’ll be a junior & clearly the centerpiece of the team.

At the end of the day, Skerry has brought in some good players on this team (ZM, Morsell, Gorham. And EK & Tunstall to a lesser degree). He’s also missed on guys like Thomas, McNeill, Morman (now that he’s gone) & perhaps Prophete. Starr is a “meh.” Obviously every coach hits on some kids & misses on others, I get that. But, if there’s no leader on the team, & there’s a culture of bickering and squabbling, some of that blame is on the CEO, Skerry.

In the interest of stimulating conversation on this board (because Skerry isn’t going anywhere) I also think it’s fair to point out that since Skerry has been here, every other team in the conference (with the exception of Elon) has at least been to the championship game of the conference tournament. While it’s highly improbable in my opinion, maybe this year’s team will achieve that accomplishment. But if not, the monkey remains on Skerry’s back, like it or not. Obviously he gets a pass for his 1st year & the 2nd (when we weren’t even permitted to play in the conference tournament). One of the measuring sticks of the job, in addition to graduating kids, is either winning the regular season crown, and/or winning the conference tournament. 

I’m actually cautiously optimistic about next year (pretty much given up on this season), PROVIDED he brings in a decent point guard, which has been a huge Achilles heel of Skerry’s. 

What do we think of Skerry’s assistants?  I wonder if Gary Neal would ever consider coaching once he officially hangs ‘em up on his playing career.  He might make a nice assistant coach and be a big time help on the recruiting trail with establishing credibility for the program.

• Like 1