• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Since Skerry became coach

I think Kevin Clark has been here w/ Skerry the whole time. From my casual observations from the stands, he seems like the father figure type who puts his arm around a kid after Skerry chews him out. O’Connell-wasn’t he here & then went to USC, & came back? McDonald is in his first year.

Wasnt Adrian Dantley an assistant here back in the 90’s?

The guy I think would eventually make a good assistant is John Davis

Davis is playing (or about to) on the other side of the world. And I'd like to comment on Mat's observation about Zane being a slasher: I wish he wouldn't try to penetrate as much as he does; he doesn't have a great handle, so he loses control of the ball about half the time. And he also tends to get trapped, as Chris Datres pointed out,  because the other team's scouting report has clearly flagged ZM's weakness. Even when he gets fouled, it seems like he misses from the line far more often than you would expect from such a profilic scorer.

9 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Davis is playing (or about to) on the other side of the world. And I'd like to comment on Mat's observation about Zane being a slasher: I wish he wouldn't try to penetrate as much as he does; he doesn't have a great handle, so he loses control of the ball about half the time. And he also tends to get trapped, as Chris Datres pointed out,  because the other team's scouting report has clearly flagged ZM's weakness. Even when he gets fouled, it seems like he misses from the line far more often than you would expect from such a profilic scorer.

So you just want Zane to shoot off-balanced jumpers and long 3s? Ok. Somebody has to get to the basket and possibly get fouled. And he doesn't lose it half the time on the way to the basket. He loses when he tries to split a double-team or makes a bad crosscourt pass. He gets awful turnovers when he becomes the primary ballhandler. I WANT him going to the basket 3-4 times a game with his size and strength, you don't want turning into a soft jumpshooter.  He's shooting around 71% from the line. Not great, not horrible.

However, I wouldn't mind him flashing more to the basket off the ball and Starr hopefully finding him

Maybe next season he adds a bit of a post game like Mike.

28 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Me personally, I hope Zane shoots 25X a game. Who else, other than Morsell, is a consistent threat to score?

Gorham should be that third option. But his post up game is a mess because he is so methodical. He has to face the basket more but when puts the ball on the deck, that's a mess as well. Starr has fallen apart lately from the perimeter. He lost all confidence. Morman wanted to be that third option. But I'd rather those two shoot than EK throwing up some crap on a fadeaway. They'd also get better shots if he decided to pass on those drives instead of forcing bad shots. Again, sacrifice. Nobody is willing to do it on this team. Time is running out. Watch the Wizards without Wall. That's exactly the way this team needs to play on offense. Extra pass by everybody (save for Kelly Oubre)

I was screaming yesterday, “somebody’s got to be open” when I think it was Morsell forced a shot when he was double teamed. In fairness, I don’t think Morsell was the only one guilty of that yesterday. 

I agree with you about Gorham being too methodical/hesitant at times. I remember yelling “just go up” (I guess I yelled a lot yesterday) when he had the ball down low & tried pump faking, with no success.

So, to summarize: Starr has been completely ineffectual lately, Gorham is struggling, EK throws up fadeaways that miss, or does his bull in a china shop drives, Thomas is a non-factor on offense & Morman is gone. So, it’s no wonder Mike & Zane sometimes force shots. Who else is there? I bet if you got Skerry off-the-record he’d tell you this is his least favorite team he’s had here, & that he’s looking forward to the end of the season, & the departure of this senior class.

The last 5 games:

Starr: 8-29= 27.6%   from 3 2-9= 22.2%  4 PPG   2.8 Assists  1.6 rebounds   6 turnovers      and just 2 FT attempts total

Zane: 45-107= 42.1%    from 3 13-29= 44.8%  24.2 PPG  5.2 rebounds  3.2 assist  19 turnovers! 25 FT attempts

Mike: 39-80= 48.8%      from 3 10-26= 38.4%   20.4 PPG  5.2 rebounds  .6 assists  1.4 steals   7 turnovers only 18 FT attempts

Eddie: 17-37= 46%     from 3 0-2    9.8 PPG 5.2 rebounds   1.6 assists   7 turnovers   15-29 from the line

Justin:  16-34=  47%   from 3 0-1  9.8 PPG   10.4 rebounds   1.6 assists  8 turnovers    17-23 from the line

Mcneil:   4-17= 23.5%   from 3  1-9= 11.1%  1.8 PPG  2 rebounds .5 assists 2 turnovers   0-1 from the line

These are our big minute guys and its not good looking.

Good-                                                                        Bad-

Starr- Taking care of the ball                                        Shooting and not getting to the line

Zane- scoring and shooting well from 3, rebounding       turnovers

Mike- scoring and rebounding                                      Not getting others involved and not enough FT's

Eddie: rebounding and doing a bit of everything            FT's  missing a ton and he is our leader in attempts

JG- Rebounding and passing                                       Shooting %, cleaning up glass but not finishing

Mcneil-  he isnt turning it over?                                   almost everything else

I for one don't mind seeing mike and zane chuck up 50-60 shots a night between them.  we have no depth now and have a grand total of 3 20+ point career scoring games on our roster. 

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

The last 5 games:

Starr: 8-29= 27.6%   from 3 2-9= 22.2%  4 PPG   2.8 Assists  1.6 rebounds   6 turnovers      and just 2 FT attempts total

Zane: 45-107= 42.1%    from 3 13-29= 44.8%  24.2 PPG  5.2 rebounds  3.2 assist  19 turnovers! 25 FT attempts

Mike: 39-80= 48.8%      from 3 10-26= 38.4%   20.4 PPG  5.2 rebounds  .6 assists  1.4 steals   7 turnovers only 18 FT attempts

Eddie: 17-37= 46%     from 3 0-2    9.8 PPG 5.2 rebounds   1.6 assists   7 turnovers   15-29 from the line

Justin:  16-34=  47%   from 3 0-1  9.8 PPG   10.4 rebounds   1.6 assists  8 turnovers    17-23 from the line

Mcneil:   4-17= 23.5%   from 3  1-9= 11.1%  1.8 PPG  2 rebounds .5 assists 2 turnovers   0-1 from the line

These are our big minute guys and its not good looking.

Good-                                                                        Bad-

Starr- Taking care of the ball                                        Shooting and not getting to the line

Zane- scoring and shooting well from 3, rebounding       turnovers

Mike- scoring and rebounding                                      Not getting others involved and not enough FT's

Eddie: rebounding and doing a bit of everything            FT's  missing a ton and he is our leader in attempts

JG- Rebounding and passing                                       Shooting %, cleaning up glass but not finishing

Mcneil-  he isnt turning it over?                                   almost everything else

I for one don't mind seeing mike and zane chuck up 50-60 shots a night between them.  we have no depth now and have a grand total of 3 20+ point career scoring games on our roster. 

Good stats. I don't care if we have only two players that are in double digits, Eddie doesn't need to be shooting that much. He and Mike rarely make the extra pass or even the smarter pass. That to me is better than shooting 50-60 shots a game is finding an open teammate. Justin should, he just needs to finish around the basket better. McNeill has been horrific since coming back that knee injury. 

20 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Good stats. I don't care if we have only two players that are in double digits, Eddie doesn't need to be shooting that much. He and Mike rarely make the extra pass or even the smarter pass. That to me is better than shooting 50-60 shots a game is finding an open teammate. Justin should, he just needs to finish around the basket better. McNeill has been horrific since coming back that knee injury. 

agree, eddie should only shoot when hes down low.  he was effective in the post against drexel with the little hooks.  Seems like we always have eddie in the high post when facing a zone. would like to see justin there, as he has shown that he has decent vision for a big and can shoot the mid range.  maybe having sanders in the low post next year will help that.

lets not sugar coat it, mcneil has been horrific since hes gotten to towson.  39 points in 13 caa games while averaging about 16 minutes a game.  3.8 PPG against D1 opponents -- 56 of his 340 career points have been against Non D1's.  Not picking on the kid, he seems like a good teammate and student, but he is clearly over his head at this level.

Good analysis, TU2012.  Poor Starr, I'm assuming his confidence level in terms of shooting is around 0.

ZM needs to reduce the TO's & the technical fouls, but 24 ppg is quite impressive (even though we've lost 3 of the last 5 games I believe)

Even though his assists are virtually nil, and he's not getting to the line much, I'll gladly take 20 ppg & 5 boards from Mike

Keep in mind, EK shot 9-11 from the field vs Drexel. So, in the other 4 games covered by your analysis, he's shooting 8-26 from the field, which is pretty horrid.  His FT shooting is also horrid, but the boards are good.

Justin averaging almost a double double, and I think he'll be better next year, with inside help from Sanders, and maybe Solomon U, the Florida recruit.

McNeill is...well, um, hold on a sec, wait a minute, see, its like this, its kinda complicated, hmmm....  Well, it is what it is.