• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Since Skerry became coach

while yes we had some crazy comebacks, you can look at it this way..

second half blown leads

10 with 4:46 left  Hofstra

12 with 9:33 left  @UNCW 

11 with 12:21 left @JMU 

6 with 8:12 left @ ELon 

9 with 6:22 @Pitt 

The first three were real bad.. difference between 20-7 (10-4) tied for second 1 game out of first.

Skerry is a decent recruiter but an average coach at best. His X's and O's are pretty poor though.. He isn't going anywhere as others mentioned here so we just have to embrace it...

I was at Towson from 95-99 and worked with the team during the Jaskulski years (Who appears to be a HC again http://www.stritchwolves.com/news/2015/6/26/GEN_0626154020.aspx?path=general).  For the first time since I graduated the team has finally not been an embarrassment.  I realize Skerry has yet to get to the CAA championship game or NCAAs,  but with a little more time I believe that will come.  Besides, once he gets the team to the NCAAs, I'm sure some bigger school might come sniffing around.

I had higher expectations for this season, but am at least happy we are generally competitive each season in the CAA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BK_Brian said:

I was at Towson from 95-99 and worked with the team during the Jaskulski years (Who appears to be a HC again http://www.stritchwolves.com/news/2015/6/26/GEN_0626154020.aspx?path=general).  For the first time since I graduated the team has finally not been an embarrassment.  I realize Skerry has yet to get to the CAA championship game or NCAAs,  but with a little more time I believe that will come.  Besides, once he gets the team to the NCAAs, I'm sure some bigger school might come sniffing around.

I had higher expectations for this season, but am at least happy we are generally competitive each season in the CAA.

I was 02-06 and agree with this exact sentiment. I want the tourney, I want to be better but this by far exceeds what it used to be.  I don't really know if the grass is greener with another coach.  The lack of enthusiasm around campus doesn't help recruiting either.  Kids want that. 

Edited by griggey20

Kudo’s to Skerry (as I’ve said many times before) for graduating kids & turning around a woeful program to the point where we are winning 20 games in a season. But call me greedy...I won’t be fully satisfied until we go dancing, & I bet Skerry would say the same thing.

This, “I remember when we were crappy, so I’m satisfied that we’re above average” mindset is lost on me. Accept being average to above average & that’s what you’ll get. I’d rather demand being the best. Doesn’t mean we’ll get it every year, but i want it in my lifetime. It’s been over a quarter century. Enough is enough. Clearly, most of that wasn’t on Skerry’s watch, but it’s high time he recruit a good point guard, & let’s win more than 1 damn game in the conference tournament  

• Like 1

I was there from 08/09 season- 11/12 and worked for the team for all 4 years (3 with PK and 1 with Skerry)  27-100 was the overall record in my time.  So obviously we are way better off now then before.

I do not understand those sentiments at all.  minus the first year, he is 112-78 over 5 3/4 seasons.  that is great and no one is taking that away from him.  he has done wonders in building a program here.  This is what has plagued towson forever; "oh I'm just happy being competitive." what is wrong with wanting more??

With his x and o capability and style of play (not conducive to winning in the CAA), I along with others just believe he has taken as far as he can.

After the first two years, he had.. the greatest turnaround in NCAA history, a brand new arena, successful transfers, and better academic and support staff, but can anyone say he and the program have capitalized on it?  Marketing and the AD have a ton to do with the awful attendance.  Why dont they put on a promotion/giveaway to get some butts in the seats. Why dont they enhance the game-day experience at SECU?

Lets settle for mediocrity/slightly above and continue to underachieve..

Sometimes it is hard to understand, but the students at Towson, over the years, have shown they have very little interest in athletics. Winning does not, at Towson, to make much of a difference. When you are excited about a crowd of 2200, coming off a great conference win, that is all you need to know. That does have an impact on recruiting. Sellouts make a program more attractive.

Coach Ambrose as well as the other head coaches to varying degrees have reached out to the greater student body. I hope someone is able to get the students interested. As of now, no one has found the secret sauce. It would make a difference.

Going back to the issue of scheduling.....until we schedule some *marquee* non-conference teams AND beat them on occasion (I'm looking at you, Tim Leonard), Towson will continue to be a far-under-the-radar basketball program.  Assuming we won't be breaking our NCAA Tourney drought anytime soon, it would be nice to create some buzz for the program by occasionally taking on some brand name teams.  The next best thing to making the Big Dance would be for some noteworthy non-conference wins.   Will we get steamrolled most of the time?  Maybe, but at a minimum it would help generate interest on and off campus for the program.