• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Since Skerry became coach

8 minutes ago, RundaPower said:

P5 schools aren't coming here. Cant afford the loss.   Why would mid-majors want to risk a 20 win season by playing  more than 1 or. 2 peers per year ? CAA administration has let the league down.  No TV deal and  no marketing package 

this.

i know a10 thinks they are too good for us but a10/caa challenge  or socon or maac would be nice.  solid teams and add alittle more to it

20 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

this.

i know a10 thinks they are too good for us but a10/caa challenge  or socon or maac would be nice.  solid teams and add alittle more to it

True. However, mid majors are so concerned nowadays of winning 20 games that it all but rules those exciting crossover games.

3 time National Champions (long time ago of course..  see Bill Russell)

Fixed up Gymnasium.   Students just don’t support the product.  So it’s not just a Towson thing.  

With respect to scheduling...  good luck.  Mid Majors who average 17-20 wins a season are lucky to get home games against BCS schools.  And it’s usually a 2 for 1 proposal.  

Unless you are Gonzaga or Wichita State right now..  so tough to land big schools at your home gym.  

I like you younger fans wanting more.  I do too but patience is a virtue.  I’m giving PS two more seasons to get us to the dance. 

Then we can start looking.  

3CDB28A5-AF02-4C2B-BDF3-7AA61FC9DFD7.png

Coaching -- There are decent points being made throughout the discussion but the question I ask would be who you would have in mind that could be that extra push.  I go back to when Truax was here and we had a number of rollercoaster seasons at the end of his tenure but within those seasons, we had some big wins over P5 schools.  The admin at the time decided that he had plateaued and decided to go in a different direction.  It took 16 years to dig the ship out of the bottom of the sea.  Skerry's not quite done building this yet and I'm sure he'd admit that not having had a decent point guard is a pox on his tenure here but we're in the right direction and I don't see what would cause us to want to change course.

Scheduling -- I completely agree with what everyone is saying about the schedule.  It's been very discouraging the last couple of years seeing the Gouchers, Gallaudets, and Central Penns of the world in the REGULAR SEASON schedule.  You wanna play exhibitions against them, go right ahead.  But that's not going to generate any sort of buzz.  It seems like we feel like we're 'above' doing 2 for 1s but again, if it gets a bigger name into the house, you have to sacrifice and do it.  I think we should still play the city schools and I also think there needs to be a way to always have Maryland on the schedule or at least every other year.  And if you have to play them at the Baltimore Arena because they're too scared to come to SECU, then you do it.  It's about building the brand.  And if you need to expand it so you use the Baltimore Arena to bring in a much bigger name, then maybe you have to do that too.  It sucks to have an on-campus arena like SECU but still have to look downtown but sometimes you have to sacrifice there.  Temple has been doing it for years...they've got a 10,000 seat arena but have had to play Duke and Kansas at the FU Center instead (and won a couple of those games) because big names are too scared to play in a tough venue.

CAA -- the administration really dropped the ball by not having any sort of TV contract, even if it was a digital only deal like what America East has.  The Thursday-Saturday conference schedule doesn't help that at all either.  They need to go to a Friday-Sunday schedule and take over those nights, which are usually lacking for major college hoops games.  Why am I seeing Vermont-Albany on ESPNU one night and then Jackson State-Prairie View on the U the next?  It's a total joke that the CAA doesn't have some piece of that pie.  As a result, our conference is a ghost town and more people know more about Northern Kentucky than they do about Charleston.

• Like 1

Love the First Union reference.  It truly fit Philly.  FU Center.  Sad they changed sponsors. 

Philly the one city where the Big 5 always play each other.   No matter what Villanova is ranked they still play Penn.

I’m a believer in Skerry and he’s gonna get it done.  We have so much better talent coming through the door now.  

I’ll be there when we make the dance whether it’s Dayton Ohio or Portland Oregon.

We have come too far not to think we won’t  ...  58 years for my Eagles   

27+ for our Tigers...  no sweat   

When I was at the Burkshire Marriot for the Elon game I spoke to JG in the lobby.  

He and Zane are gonna get it done for us before they leave.

I’m calling it now.   I’ll be sending pics with my Towson gear on from the Golden Gate Bridge either basking in our glory or jumping off.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RundaPower said:

P5 schools aren't coming here. Cant afford the loss.   Why would mid-majors want to risk a 20 win season by playing  more than 1 or. 2 peers per year ? CAA administration has let the league down.  No TV deal and  no marketing package 

no tv deal no marketing package. agreed. And yes they beat a lasalle team. And honestly we can say we're too good to play good mid majors and too bad to play p5. But other schools do it, no excuse we cant. get the right people in the dept. if TL cant do it, get someone who can 

On 2/13/2018 at 1:53 PM, TSU88 said:

Kudo’s to Skerry (as I’ve said many times before) for graduating kids & turning around a woeful program to the point where we are winning 20 games in a season. But call me greedy...I won’t be fully satisfied until we go dancing, & I bet Skerry would say the same thing.

This, “I remember when we were crappy, so I’m satisfied that we’re above average” mindset is lost on me. Accept being average to above average & that’s what you’ll get. I’d rather demand being the best. Doesn’t mean we’ll get it every year, but i want it in my lifetime. It’s been over a quarter century. Enough is enough. Clearly, most of that wasn’t on Skerry’s watch, but it’s high time he recruit a good point guard, & let’s win more than 1 damn game in the conference tournament  

Is winning 20+ games in a season considered average? 

When you’re playing 30+ games, including 2 vs DIII’s & others vs below average D I’s, I’d say winning 20 is better than average, but not great.

This of course begs the question of whether we’ll get to 20 this year.

I’m not looking askance at 20 W seasons, in the abstract. I think that that figure is not necessarily as magical as it once might have been, and I don’t want it to be a plateau that we don’t climb above. The end game (aside from graduating kids), the holy grail so to speak, is getting to the dance. At this point, I’d be content with the baby steps of starting by winning more than 1 game in the conference tournament.  

25 minutes ago, sr16 said:

New question... 4 games left with 17 wins... Would be amazing to get to 20 

month and half ago? it was expected.  now, yes it would, because that would mean we win atleast 1 down in charleston.   with the minimized depth, distractions, awful execution and play calling, along with the numerous blown leads.. yes