• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Since Skerry became coach

The party line is (and I believe it’s true) is that no P5 school is coming here, & that mid-majors in the region want too much money. I was told that when we played Sacred Heart (freaking Sacred Heart) a few years ago at SECU, we had to pay them 75K!! If that’s what the Sacred Heart’s of the world are getting, imagine what the asking price of a legit mid-major is!!

There appears to be an unwillingness on our part to do “2 for 1” deals, where we play the opponent 2X at their place, in return for them playing 1X at SECU. I say if the opponent is a good draw, do a 2-for-1. 

Like I’ve said before, I hope we don’t play anymore D III’s. Look at our home schedule this year-did we play a non-conference home game against a team from outside Baltimore? I concede we probably had fewer non/conference home games this year (due to the 2 neutral site tournaments) but still, when Morgan & UMBC are your flagship OOC home games, that ain’t good

7 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The party line is (and I believe it’s true) is that no P5 school is coming here, & that mid-majors in the region want too much money. I was told that when we played Sacred Heart (freaking Sacred Heart) a few years ago at SECU, we had to pay them 75K!! If that’s what the Sacred Heart’s of the world are getting, imagine what the asking price of a legit mid-major is!!

There appears to be an unwillingness on our part to do “2 for 1” deals, where we play the opponent 2X at their place, in return for them playing 1X at SECU. I say if the opponent is a good draw, do a 2-for-1. 

Like I’ve said before, I hope we don’t play anymore D III’s. Look at our home schedule this year-did we play a non-conference home game against a team from outside Baltimore? I concede we probably had fewer non/conference home games this year (due to the 2 neutral site tournaments) but still, when Morgan & UMBC are your flagship OOC home games, that ain’t good

Even if it means we never get a home game in the deal, I still think it's better for us to go on the road and get our teeth kicked in by the likes of Wake Forest, Butler, Georgia Tech, etc., than to play a bunch of tomato cans and get ZERO benefit.  I'd rather go 3-7 in non-conference play if it means it's going to get us better prepared for the CAA schedule.

I tend to agree, and here’s why-we all know the CAA is a 1-bid league, so even if you have a bad OOC record, it doesn’t matter. To a lesser degree, even the regular season conference record is not the be all & end all, because it all boils down to 3 (or 4) games in the conference tournament.  Of course the flaw with minimizing the importance of regular season conference play is that if you stink in regular season conference play, it’s unlikely you’re suddenly going to run the table in the conference tournament, but that logic does not hold true, in my opinion, when it comes to your OOC record 

3 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Even if it means we never get a home game in the deal, I still think it's better for us to go on the road and get our teeth kicked in by the likes of Wake Forest, Butler, Georgia Tech, etc., than to play a bunch of tomato cans and get ZERO benefit.  I'd rather go 3-7 in non-conference play if it means it's going to get us better prepared for the CAA schedule.

we wouldnt get our teeth kicked in against those type of teams.  mostly because those teams would NEVER play us.  the mediocre power 5 teams like maryland, wake, gt, vt, gtown etc will not play us, as we are to risky to put their at large change at risk.  so we are stuck with novas, kansas, of the world which are games we shouldnt really play (maybe 1 for the money guarantee crowd) as they do nothing to prepare us for CAA.

I am all for 2 for 1's with any a10 league or higher. Even their bottom level teams. Temple, ODU, Mason were some nice teams that we have had. I just hate playing the crappy local teams, does nothing for me.  add navy and mount and you got something.  

There is no reason we cannot schedule 4-5 games a year with a10, maac, nec schools.  They are all for the most part close to us where a plane would not be needed.  We could also get away from the meac schools and try for horizon and MAC.  Spreading your recruiting footprint to the midwest doesnt hurt.  Tough kids, and chicago, cleveland, indy, detroit have some solid players  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

Sometimes it is hard to understand, but the students at Towson, over the years, have shown they have very little interest in athletics. Winning does not, at Towson, to make much of a difference. When you are excited about a crowd of 2200, coming off a great conference win, that is all you need to know. That does have an impact on recruiting. Sellouts make a program more attractive.

Coach Ambrose as well as the other head coaches to varying degrees have reached out to the greater student body. I hope someone is able to get the students interested. As of now, no one has found the secret sauce. It would make a difference.

from experience, being in greek life. as well as on IFC ( the board which governs fraternities) I held meetings with Nads and bringing OSU and Hopkins here are what attracts kids. I wont say winning doesn't matter. being good AND scheduling good games are key. We got more kids in lax seats. Its tough to get these new gen kids to enjoy the FCS when all they see is SEC on espn. And also like beating a dead horse, the school will never live down RUINING all momentum with the T West szn with tailgates. In terms of Basketball. We can copy the Mason / VCU blueprint. Its been done. We need those Tourney appearances. 

14 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Agreed. We all got excited with 10-1 with no true legit mid majors really. I mean starting with ODU was cool. But we definitely need more of that. 

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Kudo’s to Skerry (as I’ve said many times before) for graduating kids & turning around a woeful program to the point where we are winning 20 games in a season. But call me greedy...I won’t be fully satisfied until we go dancing, & I bet Skerry would say the same thing.

This, “I remember when we were crappy, so I’m satisfied that we’re above average” mindset is lost on me. Accept being average to above average & that’s what you’ll get. I’d rather demand being the best. Doesn’t mean we’ll get it every year, but i want it in my lifetime. It’s been over a quarter century. Enough is enough. Clearly, most of that wasn’t on Skerry’s watch, but it’s high time he recruit a good point guard, & let’s win more than 1 damn game in the conference tournament  

Let's be clear, I want to be better, I want to win the CAA and see TU in the NCAAs every year (or every couple of years).  However, this is college basketball and only so many teams win each season.  This is PS seventh season (although first two should not count, first season was complete re-build and second season we were screwed due to PK).   We're not talking about Tony Shaver who's been at W&M 15+ seasons with essentially the same success rate.  

Based on the program that Skerry took over, which was awful since the early 1990s, I'm totally willing to give him a few more years before I think it's time for a change.  

I like that there’s this back & forth on the board. Truth be told, Skerry isn’t going anywhere, unless he jumps ship. Likely no one is going to try & poach him unless he takes us dancing 

4 hours ago, sr16 said:

Agreed. We all got excited with 10-1 with no true legit mid majors really. I mean starting with ODU was cool. But we definitely need more of that. 

lasalle?

P5 schools aren't coming here. Cant afford the loss.   Why would mid-majors want to risk a 20 win season by playing  more than 1 or. 2 peers per year ? CAA administration has let the league down.  No TV deal and  no marketing package