• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MLax falls to JHU, 14-6

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/lacrosse-blog/bs-sp-defense-provided-boost-for-johns-hopkins-lacrosse-20180210-story.html

This was a mess. The weather was horrible and that didn't help our new attack. Shane Brennan got the start in net and gave up 11 goals in the first half. He was not good, allowing two long stick (poles) to score. Then Josh Miller came in the 2nd half and did a solid job. Made some nice saves and gave up 3 goals. We scored 4. Defense was much better in 2nd half. Offense was dreadful throughout with 14 turnovers. Terrible shots. Didn't really test Turnbaugh, who played well but didn't really have to move. I knew this would be a rough start .Hopefully they play a lot better next week against the Mount but the starting offense other than Mazza should be rotated until they find some guys that can produce and not consistently turn it over. 

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/johns-hopkins-defense-stands-tall-over-towson-s-new-look-offense/51303

He was dreadful. No ground balls. Maybe he's playing the wrong spot as suggested on attack. Some his shots were 20 feet wide and he was 10 yards out. He definitely looks the part at 6-2, 200. I know the old non-PC saying, looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. But it's just one game. They have some players on offense. I was shocked they started the freshman Phil Weis at attack. I thought Monahan was going to play from behind. I think Sunday has potential if they can get him close to the crease with his size. I wasn't thrilled with Chetner. Why Jimmy G., the Loyola transfer who sat out last season, wasn't playing is beyond me until he threw the behind-the-back goal in garbage time.  Gilardi has his work cut out for him with so many new faces. 14 turnovers is not going to cut it but the good thing was that Woodall won 16 of 24 face-offs even though he didn't appear dominant. I thought D improved as the game went on and Miller has to start against but my God, he has to find a short stick like Goodrich or Wilkerson and just let them run with it and not try to make home run pass.

Hopkins did a noce job defensively. We had no layups except when Kinnear was in front of the net. I'm sorry. He's so left-handed. I just thought he was a turnover machine last year and teams make him go right. He's fine on extra man even though he couldn't finsh las night. 

It's crazy, They played basically the entire roster. Mazza, Maloof and Kinnear on midfield is a work-in-progress. Monahan, Wies, and McLean on attack is soooo young. McLean is a sophomore transfer from Stony Brook who has never played before. I really didn't see him do much last night. He had no shots. Kinnear had 3 shots. The guy I like is Jake McLean. Very athletic soph. from California, who rarely played last season. Maybe he'll turn into a Tyler Young-type. A speedy guy who can play both ends. 

Nads was really pissed with turnovers and the fact we go outhustled. Getting beat on ground balls is not a calling card for his teams so expect a tough week in practice. Those who continue to turn it over and get beat on GBs won't play. It basically appears we are in preseason.

Turnovers and getting outplayed is pretty much my takeaway from that game last night.  I understand the potential for turnovers when you're getting pressured but there were a few times when it looked like a routine pass and it went sailing out of bounds.  You might be able to get away with that against the Mount but against a team like Hopkins, no chance.  I did like the faceoff situation and hopefully, we've found the guy in the X since that's a large component of success.  It sucks to lose to Hopkins but the way we played last night, perhaps it was a good wakeup call to the squad that there's a lot of work to do.

14 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

Turnovers and getting outplayed is pretty much my takeaway from that game last night.  I understand the potential for turnovers when you're getting pressured but there were a few times when it looked like a routine pass and it went sailing out of bounds.  You might be able to get away with that against the Mount but against a team like Hopkins, no chance.  I did like the faceoff situation and hopefully, we've found the guy in the X since that's a large component of success.  It sucks to lose to Hopkins but the way we played last night, perhaps it was a good wakeup call to the squad that there's a lot of work to do.

Woodall was excellent last year at around 59% so that's not a big worry. And he's got one year left after this. Kind of wish he was a little trimmer so he could win a few and go to the goal. The turnovers are going to happen early in the season with so many new guys but the shooting has to improve. Turnovers will come down some hopefully next week assuming there is no snow against the Mount. I'm looking forward to seeing them live for the first time. I definitely needed my roster last night because I had no clue who half the numbers were.

Exactly what I took from it. Defense tightened up in the second half with Miller in goal. No way he doesnt get the start right? also FOGO will be solid with Woodall. Hoping the Offense can find their groove next week.... Also great W from the womens team. 

1 hour ago, RundaPower said:

Miller had a presence in the net.  I expect him to become the QB of the D this year.

Hope so. Can't give up on Brennan but he wasn't ready. That's not a game you want somebody with no experience to start in a nationally televised broadcast against Hopkins. But let's see how he does when the score is 0-0 and not 11-2. His biggest issue last year was clearing. His save percentage was 50%, which isn't great either. But if you continue to turn it over on offense, you are going to give up transition opportunities on the other end. That's where you need the veteran goalie.