• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB edges Delaware, 67-65

11 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Before I get to the quotes, I guess other than winning, the positive was that Zane Martin could go 3-16 from the field and 0-4 from 3pt and we still win. He scored nine points to break a 21-game streak of double-digit games. What I didn't get how we didn't get the ball to Morsell when he was red-hot. He didn't shoot the ball for what seemed about 8 minutes and then he launches a bad 3 early in the shot clock up 2. Hard to figure this team out. But what does it in the end is defense. We just played well enough to win despite the five straight missed free throws. Unreal.

This. we can also survive Mike, Eddie, and Zane all putting up 3 AWFUL shots with under 4 minutes to go in a tight game  as well as some of the best FT shooters in the CAA totally whiff late and win.  Alex had a big save at the end and rebounded well to help the team.  Dennis also had a good spurt of rebounding and pressing. 

11 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Alex gets his fair share of bashing here, including by me, but he hustled tonight, grabbed boards & didn’t get in foul trouble. I hope next year that he’ll be a useful role player. 

the rest of the team didnt. no excuse to get beat in transition like we did in the first half, especially by daly who, well isnt the fastest in the world and has a bad ankle. hated the no hustle when mosely missed a bunny dunk in the second half and no one in white crossed half court.  atleast mike, starr, and eddie played with some senior urgency at time on the offensive end. 

eddie deserved to bark at jg during the game. justin, yes we know is undersized, cannot play post defense, he gets abused because of his awful positioning.  alex played great post d in the second half.

12 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Important W, as I think the only team in the 7-10 positions that can possibly catch us is UNCW. OTOH, the W still gives us the possibility of moving up to as high as 3rd. 

100% true.  Delaware, Drexel and JMU even if they all win out (they play eachother)  cannot pass us.  UNCW can, they are 6-9 with C of C, @WM and @Drexel left. If we finished with the same record tiebreak goes to:

-Head to Head 1-1--nothing

-Record vs best team TU 1-1 vs C of C   0-1 vs NE   2-0 vs WM   0-1 Hoft       UNCW 0-1 C of C,  0-2 vs NE 0-1 vs WM  1-1 vs Hof.

With that being said, a UNCW loss to C of C sat, or any towson win & UNCW loss clinches a top 6 spot

any win is a good win. should raise the confidence level...need a couple before the tournament to keep the confidence level high. easier to win when you believe in yourself

45 minutes ago, sr16 said:

Is it too soon to start speculating on who we may play in the tourny 

I think being realistic, if we go 1-2, we'll likely be in fifth place. Elon has the tiebreaker but at 6-8 and with Dawkins injured, they are not likely to win their next four though UNCW at 6-9 is on a bit of a roll. Don't seem them going 9-9 though with Drexel and W&M on the road and Charleston at home. So most likely, Hofstra or W&M in the 4-5 game. We probably would have to go 3-0 to finish 3rd and face Elon or UNCW. IDK. I'd rather face Hofstra since Elon has swept us, though it's tough to sweep a team in 3 games. Also tough for us to sweep W&M in 3. 

I would like for us to fall into the 3-6 game no matter if being 3 (extremely unlikely), or 6 (way more likely) then the 4-5 game.  4-5 means 2:30 then noon against C of C. Even though we beat them once, I'd like to take my chance with NE at 8:30. (also saying that for selfish reasons as a spectator down there) try to avoid c of c for as long as we can, especially since they will have 3-4 thousand of fans

Sure, good point but it's more likely 4-5 game. But as the tired cliche' says, it is what it is. This is the road we paved and hopefully we can somehow put together three great games.