• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB edges Delaware, 67-65

Before I get to the quotes, I guess other than winning, the positive was that Zane Martin could go 3-16 from the field and 0-4 from 3pt and we still win. He scored nine points to break a 21-game streak of double-digit games. What I didn't get how we didn't get the ball to Morsell when he was red-hot. He didn't shoot the ball for what seemed about 8 minutes and then he launches a bad 3 early in the shot clock up 2. Hard to figure this team out. But what does it in the end is defense. We just played well enough to win despite the five straight missed free throws. Unreal.

We pulled on out of our Arse. Unbelievable - miss 5 free throw at the end of the game. Just miserable, nut we get the win. Any win with this team is a good win

Important W, as I think the only team in the 7-10 positions that can possibly catch us is UNCW. OTOH, the W still gives us the possibility of moving up to as high as 3rd. 

Kudo’s to Alex Thomas for good D, with 9 boards, and to McNeill with 4 assists. EK made some big shots in the 2nd half. I didn’t get a great look at the block on the last play-was it a good non-call? Shockingly, in the 1st half EK was barking at a teammate (1st media timeout, he was bitching at Gorham). I blame the coaches for not putting a stop to this. 

Big games from Starr (nice to see on his birthday) & Morsell, despite the inconceivable fact they missed 4 FT’s at the end. 

ZM was awful. 3-16 with multiple turnovers. Always good to win when your best player has a bad game.

Edited by TSU88

Just now, TSU88 said:

Important W, as I think the only team in the 7-10 positions that can possibly catch us is UNCW. OTOH, the W still gives us the possibility of moving up to as high as 3rd. 

Kudo’s to Alex Thomas for good D, with 9 boards, and to McNeill with 4 assists. EK made some big shots in the 2nd half. I didn’t get a great look at the block in the last play-was it a good non-call? Shockingly, in the 1st half EK was barking at a teammate (1st media timeout, he was bitching a Gorham). I blame the coaches for not putting a stop to this. 

Big games from Starr (nice to see on his birthday) & Morsell, despite the inconceivable fact they missed 4 FT’s at th end. 

ZM was awful. 3-16 with multiple turnovers. Always good to win when your best player has a bad game.

Kudos to Alex as well. His hustle may have won us the game on that offensive rebound. Seemed like the other guys didn't leave it on the floor. Too many 50-50 balls and Delaware is diving on the floor. I consider the JMU as must-win game. They just lost in OT and will be playing their third game in five days. We need to play better to have a chance on the road against Hofstra and/or Northeastern.

Alex gets his fair share of bashing here, including by me, but he hustled tonight, grabbed boards & didn’t get in foul trouble. I hope next year that he’ll be a useful role player. 

Btw, sounds like Mother Nature is going to conspire against us Saturday night. We’re really going to need a good student turnout. 

JMU is absolutely a must win. Even more so given we finish on the road with NE & Hofstra. I’m hard pressed to see us beating NE. As for Hofstra, well, if we’re going to win either of the 2 final games, that’s the one where I at least give us a chance 

Late arriving crowd tonight but over 2,000. You just wonder how loud it can get when people are in their seats. Then you add, what, 250-300 people in the suites and Bateman's, just a weird atmosphere. There is likely to be snow on Saturday night but not expected to stick on the ground. Which means small crowd on Saturday and that sucks for seniors.

Pat Skerry opening comments
"Great team win. We've been on the flip side of a whole bunch of these so I was proud of the guys. Sometimes we make it a
little bit harder than it needs to be. Sometimes we need good fortune to get it going. We needed to put it away at the
foul line and we didn't. Eddie showed great discipline on the last play by just standing straight up. No way, it's not
even close to a foul. Good win. We needed it.

On last shot
A lot of things go through your mind quickly. I have a good team. We have good players. 18 wins. Nobody is happy with
18 wins right now. There was a time here that they would build monuments for you if you had 18 wins with a few games
left in the season. That's not what we're playing for. The reality is that we want to be good. We were a little
unsettled early. They played all zone. They got their main guy back. We turned it over just four times in the second
half and got good shots. This is a competitive group. When we sacrifice, we can be really good. It's not an
intentional thing. We want it so bad we have to stay in the moment and relax. Eddie made some great plays against the
zone.

Brian Starr
I think we played off each other. When (Zane) couldn't get going, he was finding me. I tried to find him throughout the
game.

On bickering
We are so competitive and there are a lot of emotions going on. Sometimes you have to get on guys to pick it up.
Or tell them to calm down a bit.

Skerry
It's an emotional game. This guy (Morsell) and I have fought a ton. I can't believe this is the last time I'm going
to coach him in this building. He's a special player. It's an emotional game. This biggest thing we try and get across
is that no one's perfect. I tell these guys that I make the most mistakes. I make the most decisions so I make the
most mistakes. We just have to continue to work on not letting our competitiveness cause us to lose our focus at times.
It's not intentional, but I guy that wants it so badly that can work against him. If you want to hit a golf ball, and
you get really angry and go up and hit it, it's not a good thing.

Mike Morsell on last game
Every day, I come in with the same intensity. Every game is a must-win. That's the approach I have. That's probably
why everybody is arguing so much and everybody is competitive. Everybody know that we hae a couple of more games left
so we have push this thing.

On four years
It has flown by fast. I feel like I just came on campus, battling JD and TJ and them. It's been a great ride.

Abysmal FT shooting and far too many turnovers, but a W nonetheless.  Nothing comes easy with this team.  They just need to find a way to get hot in Charleston.....sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  Anything can happen in the conference tourney.....while it's not probable, it's not impossible either.

Go Tigers!