• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MLax hangs on to beat the Mount, 15-13

http://towsontigers.com/news/2018/2/17/mens-lacrosse-towson-defeats-mount-st-marys-in-home-opener.aspx

Towson played a great 2nd quarter, outscoring the Mount 7-1, going up 12-5 at the half. But we struggled in the second half. Too many turnovers, just three goals, poor goaltending again. Woodall won 21 draws but had five turnovers. Just ugly lacrosse and we're struggling right now to replace Jack Adams on the rope unit. Biggest concern though is in goal. Brennand started again and couldn't make a save. Miller can make a save but he can't clear the ball.

1 hour ago, Billy1121 said:

Stayed for the first half.  Wasn’t impressed at all with the UMD transfer.  Wears the same # as Drenner but no where near the player.

Can't disagree though he's not really carrying the ball behind the net as much as Drenner was. He's sort of a hybrid between Drenner and Seider. Personally, I'd like to see him more in a feeder role because his shooting has been dreadful at least in the first two games. He's not a bad passer. Not sure that Weis is the answer. I'd put #42 Brody McLean in there playing near the crease (6-3, 200) but it's hard to complain with 15 goals. It's the 17 turnovers that is maddening. And the basketball team decided to mimic their play with 17 turnovers. So watching two teams have 34 turnovers is not fun.

I'd be encouraged on what I saw on the offensive side of the ball provided that they can cut out all of the stupid passing and turnovers.  Woodall is terrific in the X and gets us possession roughly 60-70% of the time.  At least they have room to improve that problem.  Defensively, and especially in goal, yeeeesh.  It sounded like Lochte was doing his best to bite his tongue on the broadcast yesterday commenting about the goaltending play.  That and the penalty kill leave a lot to be desired after 2 games.  

The defense will be fine. They have to adjust to not having Jack Adams and every team is going to go after Wilkerson or whomever is playing the other shortie opposite of Goodrich, who is incredible. Goaltending is part of the defense and that's the issue. Goalies have to make saves. Not just the ones that hit them in the stick. I've never seen anybody struggle as bad as Brennan has the first two games. If they don't get this fixed Loyola, Ohio State, Denver and Duke could score in the 20s. I think we'll need to score 12-14 goals to win those games. Maybe 15+ but that's not realistic against elite teams with good defenses and solid goaltending.