• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TuTigers2012

Skerry time to go?

52 minutes ago, BK_Brian said:

Also, comparing Skerry to Gotleib or any other coach that was at the university for three decades without results is nonsense.  

Please define without results

9 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

What is on the horizon

Improvements and enhancements for the outdoor sports in terms of practice facilities, turf, extra seats for women's soccer, field hockey field and hopefully more. Nothing official yet but these things have been discussed for years.

Skerry will continue to recruit the same players and enforce his style of play as long as he stays here. The latter meaning the same results we've endured over the past couple of seasons. Now with an apathetic fan base such as ours along with little interest from the community/city in the program, this is acceptable (over .500 and graduate kids timely) and it would be difficult to remove him. Actually, I can imagine him staying as long as he wants with these results. Even if there were a miraculous CAA tourney run and we happen to go dancing, I doubt other bigger programs would take much interest in him. I mean after going 1-31 you can't get any worse and things would improve at some point. However he needs continued success and probably more than one NCAA run to jettison to a bigger program. Long story short, we have no choice but to accept it UNLESS the atmosphere and interest surrounding the program changes. That starts with the oh so apathetic students at Towson...

I love my school & very loyal to TU. Having said that, I have ZERO hope the TU students will ever display any sustained passion in TU sports. I used to hear “the number of students who live on campus is growing, & that will turn the tide.” To that I respectfully say BS. It’s like the people who claim all the kids playing youth soccer ⚽️ will eventually make the U.S. relevant in men’s soccer, and it never happens. At its core, TU remains a commuter school with apathetic students who care not a whit about TU sports 

1 hour ago, tualum said:

Skerry will continue to recruit the same players and enforce his style of play as long as he stays here. The latter meaning the same results we've endured over the past couple of seasons. Now with an apathetic fan base such as ours along with little interest from the community/city in the program, this is acceptable (over .500 and graduate kids timely) and it would be difficult to remove him. Actually, I can imagine him staying as long as he wants with these results. Even if there were a miraculous CAA tourney run and we happen to go dancing, I doubt other bigger programs would take much interest in him. I mean after going 1-31 you can't get any worse and things would improve at some point. However he needs continued success and probably more than one NCAA run to jettison to a bigger program. Long story short, we have no choice but to accept it UNLESS the atmosphere and interest surrounding the program changes. That starts with the oh so apathetic students at Towson...

You hit on a key point in my opinion.  Towson needs to find a way to generate more interest and support from the community/city itself.  If they're not aggressively marketing the basketball team and game tickets to the larger Towson community, they're missing out. 

I lived in Indianapolis from 2008-2010 and went to my fair share of Butler basketball games in that time.  They were still a Horizon League team at that time but still had a packed house most nights.  My guess is the average age of most people in attendance was about 63.  There was an amazing sense of community and pride in the local team in the northern suburbs of Indy.  Granted, Hinkle Fieldhouse is an OUTSTANDING venue to see college hoops and Butler had a rich tradition of winning.  However, they understood that you had to SELL the team to the local community.  Just get warm bodies in the seats.

Also, this isn't a "chicken or the egg" scenario.  Should Towson find a way to start TRULY competing for CAA championships and go on an NCAA tourney run, say maybe 3 out of the next 5 years and develop a more nationally recognized identity of being a mid-major threat, the students will quickly jump on the bandwagon.  The program hasn't given the students a whole lot to get excited about.  Lame OOC matchups and slightly above average season W-L records aren't going to get today's distracted students excited.

• Like 1

Hahaha so like football? Any other school in the caa Ambrose would already have been out on his ass.  

I like pat. He is a genuine guy and isn’t a fake smoker blower like some. But come on. Zero. None zilch caa champ appearances. With 3 tournaments in his backyard. Fan support is an excuse. And a shitty one at that. Look at northeastern 

next question, and it won’t be popular here, when does Tim Leonard and his extreme failures get on the hot seat?  TU athletics has gone south under him. He passs our contract extensions like candy

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I love my school & very loyal to TU. Having said that, I have ZERO hope the TU students will ever display any sustained passion in TU sports. I used to hear “the number of students who live on campus is growing, & that will turn the tide.” To that I respectfully say BS. It’s like the people who claim all the kids playing youth soccer ⚽️ will eventually make the U.S. relevant in men’s soccer, and it never happens. At its core, TU remains a commuter school with apathetic students who care not a whit about TU sports 

Ne is a hockey school. Uncw is the 4th/5th best school in the bc state system. Hofstra is a commuter school in a major market.  Drexel 6th best school in a major market. Wm here bdersd with higher academic standards. Jmu is literally a rest stop school. 

Excuses are just that. The people on here obviously care and are few and far between but the acceptance of status quo is ridiculous. 

We also have zero marketing. We have commercials on 105.7 for road games hoops and football... no giveaways for fans and students.  They also beg for football attendance with 5 buck tickets. Why would anyone shell out for season tickets 

I totally agree that marketing stinks. I’m curious what attendance is at some of the other CAA schools for basketball. I don’t think Drexel draws flies, and I’m not sure about NE or Hofstra, but I’m guessing we’re in the lower tier when it comes to attendance. I noticed Morgan State had a sellout crowd of over 4K on its senior night. I guess it’s a combo in our case of poor marketing, apathetic students, & not making the dance in over a quarter century.