• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TuTigers2012

Skerry time to go?

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

It's a moot point because he cant get fired and nor should he. I don't care if he got a f-ing Winnebago and a mansion. We are not in the ACC or Big 12 the last time I checked. But I know you want every coach fired. That's fine. I don't. This isn't PK, Hunt or Jazz, where they had ZERO winning seasons. I don't fire a coach for winning just yet. But let's hear from he guy tht hired him. I know he's on the board somewhere.

9 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

It’s that he has been given way more than any coach in Towson history and as much or More than any other in Caa has nothing to show for it.

i don’t know about the rest of you but lack of success in my job would result in firing...

I don't know where you are getting these expectations from!? I am not the biggest fan of Pat Skerry, but he isn't doing a bad job. In fact I think his struggles with scheduling have a lot to do with teams knowing that Towson is a tough team. They come into each season as a CAA frontrunner in many peoples eyes. On top of that, I would say Towson probably has one of the smallest fan bases in all of college bball. Maybe like 275 out of 337, maybe even worse.

Being in a very populated area helps. But like Mat said, one NCAA tournament berth grows this fan base by a few thousand, which is a major deal for the program. It might bring in the extra recruit or two that they need to win the CAA each year. If Skerry does not make the tourney within 5 years, fine then fire him. But I personally think he's going to finally get one within 5 years.

• Like 1

I'll just end with this. Even if we don't make the finals again next season or have a similar 8-10 season, there's no controversy. He's not going anywhere, especially now that Towson may end up paying at least 1 if not 2 years if the football coach gets fired. 

I understand all of your frustration...  I truly do.  I want to dance desperately.  Imagine showing up on campus the Fall after our second trip to the dance and then going through this drought of 27 years.  I’ll take some of the blame being a mush.  

Call me Sunny CA optimistic but I still believe Skerry is the right guy to get it done.  He comes directly from that Jamie Dixon tree of coaching and I’m not giving up on him.  

We expected more than usual this season with the depth and the experience we had on the roster.  Didn’t happen.  Fizzled out.

7 seasons..  114 wins...  better talent coming through the door...  

That being said it drives me nuts that the city of Cincinnati has “2” teams in the top 10 and we have the entire city of Baltimore pretty much to ourselves so to speak but I digress...

Pat Skerry is our guy!!  I don’t want another coach right now.   1-31 mess he battled through.  He’s not perfect and neither are the players.  We still won 18 games!!!!  Yes we aren’t satisfied but our Sports Society is downright nuts right now to be quite honest...  guys get fired all the time with winning records.  

Appreciate the passion on this board. 

At least we didn’t have a season like Pepperdine!!  Feel better!?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

How many caa title games has he atleast played for?!  Apples and oranges.  he is hand tied like Cohen at Ne

resources.facilities. Recruitment.  Sorry skerry has every single advantage over  vcu odu maskn and ga state less caa.   

School just doesnt prioritize sports - what reason do they have. Lax has been great - but with the glaring lack of facilities I dont think Nads can do what he has done forever

1 hour ago, sr16 said:

School just doesnt prioritize sports - what reason do they have. Lax has been great - but with the glaring lack of facilities I dont think Nads can do what he has done forever

That's about to change.

• Like 1

There is so much going on in this thread....

I am not happy with the result of this season and part of that has to be on his shoulders.  In all honesty,  I think he is really disappointed that the team did not gel the way he expected and he knows he has to make some changes within his X's and O's along with recruiting.  

This was his 2nd real recruiting class to finish all 4 years.  Nobody was signing after the 1-31 year and he got some guys after the 18-13 season then this class followed up the 25 win in 2013-2014.  I want to see what he does in the next 2 years with this sophomore class.  If he still comes up short with seasons like this, then I think it is time to start talking about moving on.  He came into this situation as a bottom feeder to make us relevant.  He has some resources but if you look at the conference budgets in the league he's in the bottom half.  Once Zane and co graduate I think we can have a true evaluation of how successful he's been.

Recruiting has been a huge topic on this thread.  I think a lot of that comes from your assistant coaches.  Let's take a look at 2 of the guys who were recruiting the hottest area of HS basketball in the nation (DMV) and were on Skerry's staff.  Kenny Johnson went from Towson to Indiana to Louisville (unfortunately got caught up in the scandal) and Bruce Shingler was an assistant for a Final 4 team in South Carolina.  Part of the credit should go to Skerry for finding these guys, putting them on his staff and seeing where they went following their short lived time at TU.  It also makes it difficult to recruit if there are different faces on staff every couple of years. 

You can say all the guys that have failed but how bout the ones who have succeeded; Bennimon, Damas, Moto, Morsell, etc.  Am I satisfied with just graduating guys, having them be good citizens and not winning, not at all.  But I do think it is important to do so to build a positive reputation about Towson Basketball and to keep out names out of all these current scandals.  I don't want my alma mater to be associated with the Arizona's and Louisville's of the world.  Sure its great during the short term but long term we end up going through another 20 years that we just got out of.

Skerry doesn't need to go now, he deserves a shot to take us to the next level after what he dug us out of, we need to give him that opportunity.  By March of 2020 if we are in the same place I think that's when the discussion begins.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

It’s that he has been given way more than any coach in Towson history and as much or More than any other in Caa has nothing to show for it.

i don’t know about the rest of you but lack of success in my job would result in firing...

What is lack of success?  Your definition of success is probably significant different than many other people.  It's a University, where the goal is to educate young men and women and help them prepare for the rest of their lives.  As for a college basketball team, what is considered a success?  I would generally consider a college coach to be successful (especially outside of the P5 schools) if you field a competitive team with young men who do not embarrass the university and graduate, as most of them will not be playing professionally.  I think Skerry has checked all the appropriate boxes.  He fields a fairly competitive team each season and the kids graduate.    

No one wants Towson to get into the NCAA Tourney more that Skerry.  That's his ticket to his next big job opportunity.  It's really the only thing not on his resume at this point.  He's salvaged a program and gotten them to respectability and he graduates his players.  A Tourney appearance would put him squarely on the radar of next tier programs......especially with a strong showing or even a first round upset.  He'd bolt so fast from Towson it would make your head spin.  One-bid conferences are so cruel.