• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Tigerone94

Towerlight Opinion - State of Athletics

WOW...I just stumbled on this opinion piece from the Towerlight, which in my opinion has gone downhill since switching to primarily online and only printing I think once a week.  The opinion piece is followed by response letters from Tim and an intern.  Might make for a good discussion now that we've filled the open scholarships in MBB and wait to see if we can somehow bring in another player

http://thetowerlight.com/calling-on-tu-athletic-programs/

http://thetowerlight.com/tu-athletics-deserve-more-credit/

http://thetowerlight.com/the-state-of-tu-athletics-is-better-than-portrayed/

• Like 1

I give Jordan credit for writing something that you know is going to spark some controversy but at least he cares. Most at Towson don't. I had the same issue when I was with the Towerlight in the early nineties and the basketball team was great. Football just became good when I left in 1992 and 1993. So not a lot of things have changed.

Hoops will be ok. Football is at a turning point. Women's hoops too early to tell but apparently they have an excellent class coming in. Football either wins this season or get ready to make a coaching change. Men's and women's lacrosse have gone great in the CAA. We need the other sports to step up, not just football and hoops.

12 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Hoops will be ok. Football is at a turning point. Women's hoops too early to tell but apparently they have an excellent class coming in. Football either wins this season or get ready to make a coaching change. Men's and women's lacrosse have gone great in the CAA. We need the other sports to step up, not just football and hoops.

Thought you said Ambrose not going anywhere until contract ends despite what happens this year. As to the opinion,  most glaring was lack of mentioning the success of lacrosse teams. But football and basketball are the sports that draw most attention.  Leonard responding to the basketball woes by saying we beat Morgan and UMBC constantly does not help the disappointing seasons endured in basketball. 

• Like 1

I laughed at both the original and response. Both are right and wrong. 

Students don’t show up. But let’s be honest the caa is not what it used to be in years past and the games are pretty boring. I left more football games early this past year than 10 years prior combined. The football team is BORING and not well coached and trained.  But hey let’s have our first home game last week of September

total overhaul of football is needed. And to be fair Leonard should be held accountable for his passing extensions out like candy. 

They could do so much more with football/tailgating and basketball experience that it is laughable. Who the heck is running marketing and promotions???

2 hours ago, tualum said:

Thought you said Ambrose not going anywhere until contract ends despite what happens this year. As to the opinion,  most glaring was lack of mentioning the success of lacrosse teams. But football and basketball are the sports that draw most attention.  Leonard responding to the basketball woes by saying we beat Morgan and UMBC constantly does not help the disappointing seasons endured in basketball. 

I said his contract goes through 2020. Things may change. Who knows who is going to make that decision in 2019 or 2020? I doubt they buy him out after this year unless they win two games or something like that, but next season is another story. All depends on the results.

Amazing. Funny all around!

I love that Towerlight kid called out the big two sports for not winning. Totally true and something I joke about all the time at work with coworkers from power 5 schools (duke, wake, umd, florida, az state, uva, va tech) jmu and mason. But like many times with amateur journalism he lacks facts when he is trying to call out the entire athletics department. Going to the final four was awesome for MLAX, clearly they are head and shoulders above the other sports as our number 3 behind only football and MBB on our give a crap factor.

I also love that TL gave a sh*t to comment back same with the intern...go intern...someone hire that kid. We need more passion coming out of that department. TuTigers2012 questions the marketing and promotions department and I totally agree. As someone how makes a living in Marketing and Advertising it's pretty laughable. I believe TL was hired for fundraising and from what I can tell he does okay at that but for Marketing we are just plain boring. TL is too cookie cutter and low energy.  We can all laugh now at MW for mismanaging the department long term but the guy could sell.  That football playoff game atmosphere vs lehigh was amazing. (I saw people scaling tickets! scaling at towson!!) Crushed any atmosphere during the 13 finals run and I went to dallas for the game.

Also if anyone remembers the caazone days I've had my issues with both the towerlight (getting misquoted over tailgating) and the athletic department (fire gordy shirts) so I'm super amused all around since I don't have a strong option either way. Both are right and wrong in some ways.

Downside of the internet - everyone gets an option to share...including us O.o

fire2.jpg

Using our history with Morgan State and Loyola just goes to show how out of touch TL is as no one cares about those games.

My opinion is that you drop football completely and sink that money into the other sports.  Focus on men’s lacrosse and basketball.  I don’t care if we win 30 CAA titles in volleyball.  NO ONE CARES. 

24 minutes ago, Billy1121 said:

Using our history with Morgan State and Loyola just goes to show how out of touch TL is as no one cares about those games.

My opinion is that you drop football completely and sink that money into the other sports.  Focus on men’s lacrosse and basketball.  I don’t care if we win 30 CAA titles in volleyball.  NO ONE CARES. 

I don't think TL is hanging the programs hat on beating UMBC, Morgan and Coppin.  He is just making all the uneducated readers aware who also "felt a huge sense of pride" that we are a better program than them and we've proven that for the last 5-6 years.