• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Tigerone94

Towerlight Opinion - State of Athletics

We haven't lost a local game since 2014-15 when we fell at Navy. In the 2012-13 season, we lost to Coppin, Loyola and UMBC. That was the last year we lost to a local Baltimore school. That's over five years ago. Considering what we've been through as a basketball program for 15 seasons, that's pretty f-ing good and something to be proud of. 

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

I don't think TL is hanging the programs hat on beating UMBC, Morgan and Coppin.  He is just making all the uneducated readers aware who also "felt a huge sense of pride" that we are a better program than them and we've proven that for the last 5-6 years.  

I disagree, I believe he does hang his hat on those wins.. the "champs of greater Baltimore" as athletics likes to market that crap.  We own Morgan/Loyola/UMBC/Coppin?? Yawn what has been their records. They are bad programs and we should beat them more often than not.  We squeaked by morgan in football last year.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I disagree, I believe he does hang his hat on those wins.. the "champs of greater Baltimore" as athletics likes to market that crap.  We own Morgan/Loyola/UMBC/Coppin?? Yawn what has been their records. They are bad programs and we should beat them more often than not.  We squeaked by morgan in football last year.   

I'm gonna hate reading what you have to say if we were to lose to one of those 4 teams.

3 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

I'm gonna hate reading what you have to say if we were to lose to one of those 4 teams.

unless we are in serious rebuild mode, we shouldnt lose to those programs.  I mean umbc had their best team in school history and the best player on the court and we still beat them fair handily this year.  These are all typically 275+ rpi teams, but yeah sure.

But, in the end, the country is talking about UMBC and they know nothing about Towsend State. The key is to win the right game at the right time. We can talk about basketball progress, but under the last several coaches, including this one, they have won nothing......wait a minute, they beat Manhattan for some tournament championship. 

They are all exhibition games until they get to the conference tournament

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

I don't think TL is hanging the programs hat on beating UMBC, Morgan and Coppin.  He is just making all the uneducated readers aware who also "felt a huge sense of pride" that we are a better program than them and we've proven that for the last 5-6 years.  

This coming from someone who supported Pat Kennedy until the bitter end and now wants to use that disaster as a baseline for how far we’ve come.  

Edited by Billy1121

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

We haven't lost a local game since 2014-15 when we fell at Navy. In the 2012-13 season, we lost to Coppin, Loyola and UMBC. That was the last year we lost to a local Baltimore school. That's over five years ago. Considering what we've been through as a basketball program for 15 seasons, that's pretty f-ing good and something to be proud of. 

Do you think anyone is going around their office bragging that their alma mater  Towson beat Morgan or Coppin, or even Loyola?  I go to more games than probably 99% of alums and I don’t care.  I want TL to brag about wining the CAA and going to the tournament for men’s b-ball.  I just goes to show that he doesn’t understand what will draw fans.  Either tons of free stuff for students or winning/tourney appearances for alums.  Period.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Billy1121 said:

Do you think anyone is going around their office bragging that their alma mater  Towson beat Morgan or Coppin, or even Loyola?  I go to more games than probably 99% of alums and I don’t care.  I want TL to brag about wining the CAA and going to the tournament for men’s b-ball.  I just goes to show that he doesn’t understand what will draw fans.  Either tons of free stuff for students or winning/tourney appearances for alums.  Period.

Of course not. I didn't say raise a banner but when you haven't won a GD thing since 1992, you have to brag about something and having 20-win seasons, setting the school record for most consecutive wins in a season, winning two mid-major tournaments and beating up on the crappy locals is the next best thing to winning the CAA. No doubt, the poor performance in the CAA nearly erased the non-conference accomplishments. BTW, those crappy locals used to beat up on us, if you recall. So Skerry has taken us to a certain point but he knows he needs to win the big one to accomplish the ultimate goal. 

And TL is also looking for his next contract, which ends I believe either after the season end or early fall.  

All props to UMBC, but the ceaseless slurping on them should be kept in the context that they caught lightning in a bottle for 20 minutes in the 2nd half vs UVA. In the 1st half they scored 21 points. In the 1st half vs K-State they scored 20 points, & 23 in the 2nd half. I suspect that had they drawn Kansas, Villanova or just about anyone other than an offensively challenged UVA, they would have been beat down by 30-40 points.

The real challenge/opportunity for UMBC is to build on this, now that Lyles & Maura are gone. In that regard, they do play in a cream puff league (other than Vermont) & they have recruited a highly thought of JUCO PG for next season, & had a kid who sat out this year, who transferred in from Providence. Perhaps Odom will capitalize where Ambrose failed to after our magical run in football a few years ago