• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Spring practice update

Not a lot to say about this because I was out there for a little over an hour, thinking that the practice was going until 11am as scheduled and it went to 10am. But there were refs out there so they did scrimmage some. Also Ryan Stover was not playing QB to make matters worse and it wasn't due to an injury or illness. Also missing three assistants (FB/TE, WR, CB). Secondary was decimated with no Lyrics (gone), no JPD (injury), Troy Vincent Jr. (hamstring), and Vashon McCants (just injured in this practice). But Jirhe Love looked great at corner for a true freshman and had a pick-six against Jason Epps. Jamal Watson was solid at other corner spot though he needs to improve tackling. Boals and D'Nard Graham were at safeties. Mantrel Reaves will be there over the summer. Also missing Harps-Upshur (rehabbing) up front and the DT juco transfer Charles Garrett (summer) So a lot of John Mullins, N. Cook, Tibo D. up front. LBs look fine. Nygell Johnson has tremendous explosion off edge if they use him as an OLB/DE pass rusher though he can't be more than 215 at 6-3. But definitely intriguing prospect as a r-freshman.

OLine now has big Andrew Garnett at left tackle but same lineup as last season. Did see more of r-freshman Bryce Perkins at left guard I assume Rusolillo will get the start barring an injury. Never know with new OL coach may have different favorites. Let's see if he makes any changes as the spring continues. This was their fifth practice. They also added a new WR who looked pretty good. Jalen Elliott from Westlake HS in Maryland (Waldorf). Don't have him in the roster but HUDL had him at 6-2, 175, 4.42 40. Had committed to Morehead State but I don't think played there. RBs the same as last year. Shane played sparingly but had one long run for a TD but is banged up (ribs). Feliz-Platt looked like he did last summer, running around, making people miss. Kobe Young also looked fine but didn't run much. You basically know what those guys can do, even though they are true sophomores. Young just needed to get bigger and well, we'll see who comes in over the summer as a big back (assuming they add  one).

Thought Tristan Harris looked a lot better than he did last spring. But not a starting candidate until he can become more consistent with long and intermediate throws. He's a fantastic runner and did throw a nice long pass on the sidelines to Noah Staub, who dropped it. 

Here are some early comments from RA.

On Stover
He's in the doghouse a little bit. He'll be back on Monday. 

Thoughts on scrimmage
First day in full pads since November. I'm just happy to be here and so are they. Some good, some bad. The longer it goes, the sloppier it gets. We haven't played this much football. Nice day or nicest. Every single guy played and got evaluated but we have a lot of work to do.

On Tristan Harris
Getting a lot of reps. Some really good, some really bad. (nice pass to Noah Staub down sidelines he dropped) If Mr. Staub continued running maybe that would have been six points. A work-in progress for the rest of the quarterbacks.

On offensive line
Experienced but we're doing new stuff so the experience is out the door with new scheme. That's the first time they were able to cut loose together as five. Not bad

On coaching changes
They are still not done yet. Have to replace WR coach, TE/FB coach and CB coach.

On newcomers
Love played well for somebody who just got to the program. Jalen Elliott showed some signs today. 

On defense
Linebackers are really good when they are talking about football. They got the scheme down really well. We're mixing 
and matching in the back end due to injury. I lost two Thursday (Troy Vincent hamstring). Watson and Love at corner,
McCants got hurt in first part of practice. Mitch Boals had to play some corner. 

• Like 1

He's off the team for some reason. I'm more worried about Stover. Lyrics leaves the team with little depth and experience though I think Vincent should be fine. We have Watson, McCants, Love, Vincent, some other freshmen maybe involved. JPD if he's cleared medically. Lyrics never lived up to his potential. All that speed but just ok as a corner. I'm more worried about the so-called starting quarterback being in the doghouse in the second week of spring practice. 

This should have been an opportunity for Stover to put a vise grip on the starting job. Instead, he’s in “the dog house.” Great. And no transfer QB yet to be brought in. Meanwhile, still no big RB, a starting CB is gone & the coaching staff is in flux. Things seem to be going very smoothly 😳

I agree and I know it's not good, but I think Stover is just hurting himself. Miller is likely to be the starter this summer unless he's just not ready though I hear he's very smart and might be able to play right away. I still think they should have brought in a veteran qb from FBS or juco. The big RB will come over the summer. If you are getting a juco RB or QB you have to wait until he graduates. You can't just grab him in the spring. 

I realize the season is 5 months off & a lot can change between now & then, but it just feels like it’s slow torture waiting the end of Ambrose’s contract out.  If we don’t make the playoffs this year (not saying we won’t, but I’m also not incredibly optimistic) this will be 5 straight years, but he’ll still have 2 years after this coming season on his contract. 

It's not good but I will cover the team as always. I've certainly seen worse and been through worse but nobody saw this coming after the 2013-14 season. There were a lot of parents and players in the stands today because it was Junior Day and I heard a woman comment on the 2013 FCS Finals banner. And I was thinking it's been over 5 years and it feels like 20. 

As I've said, the only thing can extend this staff if Miller comes in and carries this team. That and give the ball to Shane and a bruiser for 20+ times a game.