• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Tiger1stRow

Zane Martin asks for release

This is a coaching and staff issue.  It isn’t 1980. Games aren’t one by blugining people to death. 3s and dunks. Until we recruit elite guards we will be in a hole. This isn’t 2011 caa and honestly pat should have been passed along by now. His style has not and will not win at this level 

before everyone attacks me, what did pitt have 1 overachieving year with Dixon?  Pats a real nice guy  feet family guy and represantive of this school but it’s past time to be a nice guy  win something that fing matters 

but with that said. Daly Bryce and Zane aren’t gods gift to the world and they will see that as they move up. 

I think he realizes that now. That's why Fobbs. That's why Howard. That's why they were going after Timberlake. You need more than 3 point shooters. You need a point guard to set them up and score when the team needs him to. We haven't had a quality one other than Mike Green in 20+ years.

Even more than skilled shooters or equally, we need willing passers. That wasn't Mike. That wasn't Zane. But when you have Alex and Brian on the floor, they weren't going to make that extra pass to them or at least didn't trust them enough. I don't know if Zane would have shared the ball with Fobbs on the floor.

The game now isn't just about 3 point shooting. Zane would just pull up from anywhere. It's about ball movement. It's about having a 3 pointer from the left-elbow but you see a guy running at you and there's Jordan in the corner wide open. Kids all want big stats over wins. You need to find guys that want to win and are willing to sacrifice some stats. That's tough to do. That was the motto at the beginning of the season and it was lost in translation in the CAA play.

But all is not lost. Sure, next year could be a sh-t show with all these losses. But Drayton, Fobbs, and Howard can shoot it. Betrand maybe. Dottin can push the ball. If they can get another shooter or two like Timberlake without sacrificing defense, at least we'll be fun to watch. Bigs still need to defend and rebound. This is a major setback but everything I'm hearing about this offseason is that we are trying to change without completely given up on still defending and rebounding. Offensive rebounding wouldn't be as important if we made shots.

Nothing wrong with the grinding, blue collar players like Guthrie, T.J., and EK as long as you utilize them as role players and not 30-minute starters.

• Like 1

Welcome to 2018 and the onslaught of the 'me-first' generation.  That's just the way college basketball is nowadays with the absurd amount of transfers that are out there.  I get it, they think they're bettering themselves and you can't fault a kid for doing that.  You'd jump ship from your job if you thought you had a better opportunity elsewhere.  But if their ultimate goal is to get to the NBA, they'll find you under a rock if you're good enough to catch their attention.  The grass isn't always greener and if Zane's move is to go to a different college, there's nothing that says that he'll be the big fish that he was starting to become at Towson.  If his move is to go pro, well, have fun in the Netherlands or Lithuania because the only way he's getting to the NBA is with a ticket.  If he doesn't want to be here, then don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

As for what this says about Skerry, I agree that it doesn't look good to have so many recruits under  his watch that have departed prior to going a full 4 years.  But in no way do I think it's a recipe for him to get let go as one or more prominent posters here campaign for.  Recruiting is such a goshdarn crapshoot, especially at our level.  We'd all love to have the resources to recruit 5 stars on a yearly basis.  Skerry's created a style of play and he has tried to find players to match that style.  Unfortunately, what he's thought is the right personnel has turned out to be below what he hoped.  So he goes to work on changing it up.  And if the players he gets end up not wanting to be here, then they're free to go but maybe they should think twice before signing on the dotted line if they're all of a sudden going to get disgruntled.

• Like 1

I feel like we are playing with a double edged sword here.  We can't say Skerry isn't getting good enough guys and guys are staying 4 years.  The best player on the team is leaving because he wants to go to a Power 5 or play professionally.  That means he is upgrading from his current situation which is a compliment to Skerry if you ask me.  It stinks that we are losing him but at the same time Skerry found a "diamond in the rough".  Let's see where he ends up and what he does with that opportunity. 

39 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

I feel like we are playing with a double edged sword here.  We can't say Skerry isn't getting good enough guys and guys are staying 4 years.  The best player on the team is leaving because he wants to go to a Power 5 or play professionally.  That means he is upgrading from his current situation which is a compliment to Skerry if you ask me.  It stinks that we are losing him but at the same time Skerry found a "diamond in the rough".  Let's see where he ends up and what he does with that opportunity. 

What? (Not trying to be sarcastic either..)

13 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Skerry is going into his 8th year. How many HS kids that he’s brought in have stayed the whole 4 years? Parker-Rivera, Davis, EK & Morsell. Am I missing anyone? I guess McNeill & Alex Thomas can be added in. Meanwhile, how many kids have transferred out? It’s a bad look, & it does call into question the type of kids Skerry is recruiting. I get it-other programs have kids leave, but if ZM & Gorham leave, we’re in a different category, in a bad way. 

Meanwhile, if football & basketball both stink this fall (not unlikely IMHO) where does that leave the athletic director?

with a contact extension.  haha its towson, no one cares.  status quo. move along, nothing to see here

CD...   you make way too much sense.  Well said.  

What did we win with ZM!?   Tremendous talent and good luck to him.  The show must go on.  

Sorry I still love Skerry.  Call me biased.  

He gets two more seasons and I applaud him for trying to change up the chemistry etc.  It didn’t work this season.   It happens. 

We had major expectations and it fell short.  We will have low expectations next season but that’s not a bad thing.  

Our ultimate goal is to dance and we know that.  I’m as frustrated as the rest of you.  

College basketball has the most parody we have ever seen now.  Cut the guy some slack.  

Villanova are the champs.  Jay Wright has built a team with tremendous chemistry.  He doesn’t have every 5 star recruit.  

Skerry is not Wright but he literally came in and cleaned up our program.  

I love his energy and style.   He’s gonna make it work.  If I’m wrong then drinks on me when Towson travels to the West Coast. 

Our time will come!!!  Mark my words.  

• Like 2

We won 38 games, which everyone has been clamoring about since he turned the program around...

Losing one of the best young players in the conference hurts and hurts badly. One of the only players who could create his own shot.

Again this isnt the 2006-2011 CAA...  every team has made the CAA final in the past 8 years except us and Elon..

It really sucks that mid-majors have been farm systems for Power 5 teams..