• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Tiger1stRow

Zane Martin asks for release

Would the last player jumping ship please turn the lights out in SECU. Look, even the most optimistic fan can’t put a positive spin on this. From the outside looking in, it appears to be a program that is reeling. In the last 6 months Ingram quit, Morman got booted, ZM & Gorham (the foundation for the next 2 years) have bolted, & Prophete possibly soon to follow (no loss with him, from a basketball perspective).

It feels to me like the gains made under Skerry have faded with the passage of time and  & it’s almost as if we’re regressing back to the dark days of the Pat Kennedy era

Inevitable or not, the bleeding needs to be stopped ASAP. Short term, this coming season is totally up in the air-no proven PG, lost the 20ppg SG, lost the best returning front court player. Freshman may have to assume a larger role. Long term, who knows? Hard to imagine we’re going dancing next season, which will be year 8 for Skerry. Some of this mess has to be attributed to him-the buck stops with him. What, if any, criteria is being used in recruiting, in terms of important tangibles like character, loyalty and leadership? 

Sure, they are trying to get Timberlake and another big as insurance. There are many grad transfers out there. Jucos. Euros. So many options because guys are leaving other schools and I guess people love hopping on trends without even thinking of the consequences. Prophete likely gone. But I can only say so much about both guys in terms of specifics. One could return or both. My assumption one will be gone but JG throwing that out there was a bit more shocking than ZM. Obviously, ZM thinks he's really good but look at the stats. Look at the efficiency stats and analytics. He doesn't rank very high.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to see ZM stay, but we can survive without him. A lot of turnovers & his scoring is at the expense of other guys not getting shots (though, last season there wasn’t anyone other than occasionally Morsell who really merited shooting more often). Needless to say, we have to replace his 20ppg, but I think we might be able to do that, albeit spread between 2 or more players. I’m more disappointed with JG leaving. He could have been a 12-14ppg & 7-8 boards a game guy next season. We would have had a really good front court with him, Sanders, Tunstall & Solomon. Now, that rotation is no more

Edited by TSU88