• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Tiger1stRow

Zane Martin asks for release

17 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to see ZM stay, but we can survive without him. A lot of turnovers & his scoring is at the expense of other guys not getting shots (though, last season there wasn’t anyone other than occasionally Morsell who really merited shooting more often). Needless to say, we have to replace his 20ppg, but I think we might be able to do that, albeit spread between 2 or more players. I’m more disappointed with JG leaving. He could have been a 12-14ppg & 7-8 boards a game guy next season. We would have had a really good front court with him, Sanders, Tunstall & Solomon. Now, that rotation is no more

We all can be replaced. Nobody was Benimon, who couldn't be replaced. I'm not saying hey, this is a great situation. If both leave, we could be returning three players (Jordan, Al, Dennis) with experience and really five D1 experienced guys if you count Sanders at Duquesne and Howard at Western Ky. But getting more skill level is never a bad thing assuming they can blend in with the rest.

Stunned.  Well I’ll wait and see.  The program must carry on.  I’m as positive as they come and this puts a dent in my armor.  Well better to be gone and start fresh then come back with guys who possibly aren’t happy in the program right!?

I’ll support whoever represents us next season and I would just hope the AD supports Skerry 100% so that future recruits understand this is not some sort of epidemic and the coach is despised or something.  

He’s the man in charge and it’s his way or the highway!!  1960 or 1980 or now...  that can’t change.  

Another observation about skerry which probably resulted in this mess is his lack of leadership. If players don't respect the coach for whatever reason chaos reigns. No control over the team and people bolt. Saw so much bickering between him and the team during games. Absolute mess. Next year will be a make or break year for him.. 

Tualum, I agree with you. In fact, on several occasions during the season I commented on the blatant bickering going on between certain players. That is exclusively up to the coach to stop that nonsense. When it’s allowed to continue, it becomes a cancer, in my opinion 

I can't speak to the seniors, but Zane wants to move up in the world, either pro's or P5. Zane took every possible shot, had the ball in his hands more than anybody in the CAA and basically had free reign. Argued with the refs all the time. Let's see if that happens at a P5 school or in Greece or Argentina. If anything, he was too lenient on ZM. He has an inflated version of his talent and that's why there are so many transfers nowadays with a ton of mid-major guys thinking they can play with the big boys. Think they are Steph Curry at Davidson, who was somebody the big boys missed because of his size, not his skill.

As for JG, happy or unhappy, he was starting at the end of the year. He was producing big-time as well. I don't think Towson lost this season in the CAA because of all the bickering, though I think it sort of became a distraction. They lost because they weren't good enough. He can be a very good player at this level but he's 6-7. He's not a great athlete. He's not an NBA player. There's nothing wrong with being a very good college player and then playing overseas like Ralph Biggs and Brian Barber. His situation is much different than Zane on the court...

There’s a whole other aspect of this that I’m not sure anyone has brought up-I wouldn’t be surprised if other schools are telling kids who are looking at us & other schools that there must be something wrong at TU, what with all these kids leaving 

As long as our new recruits don't decommit after hearing about the turmoil, I'm less concerned than others on this board. From what I can tell, several of the incoming players have real potential, so maybe everyone starting with a clean slate is a good thing -- and a chance to build chemistry without ZM throwing up 40 percent of our shots, and driving the lane and losing the ball rather than dish it off to a teammate. This could be addition by substraction, at least in that case.

• Like 1

So, in the stages of grief, I’m at acceptance. Good luck to those leaving, thanks for your contributions & time to look forward.

With that in mind, once Prophete leaves (as seems to be the next defection) we’ll have 3 open ships. I wonder if we’ll use all of them for next season? Now, we have the luxury of bringing in 1 or 2 transfers who would have to sit out next season, but be eligible for the 2019-2020 season 

Does Gorham think he's gonna play at a decent P5 and be a significant contributor?  Hahahaha, that's pretty funny.  He was making strides but he'll get eaten alive in most of the P5 leagues.  Again, good luck and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.  I'd much rather start a season with a totally new slate than a bunch of low basketball IQ, me-first, bickering scrubs.  As far as the bickering goes, that is a smack in the face of leadership...leadership by the coaches and leadership by the seniors.  Eddie was at the forefront of the bickering because every single call that went against him, he had that whiny look on his face.  Morsell was too quiet to be a leader and Starr had enough problems bringing the ball up to be a leader.  When you don't have any leaders on the floor like a JD was to get the troops together, then the cancer is only going to grow.  That ultimately was our downfall this past season.

• Like 1

I suppose this is a rhetorical question, but what school is going to take ZM, knowing that he’s declared for the NBA draft, and thus might not even be around in the fall? Just because we know he ain’t getting drafted doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going to withdraw his name