• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Tiger1stRow

Zane Martin asks for release

On 4/11/2018 at 3:52 PM, TSU88 said:

This is an interesting area for discussion, in that it seems like recruiting these days is like walking through a mine field blindfolded. If the kid doesn’t get enough minutes immediately, he transfers. If the kid gets minutes & produces, his peeps start telling him he’s too good for a low to mid-major, and he transfers. What do you do? If Gorham goes, combines with ZM, how can anyone conclude that this is anything other than a MAJOR setback for the program. What, if any, reflection is this on Skerry, in terms of the kind of kids he’s recruiting? (Don’t forget Ingram who quit on us, & Morman, who got booted). Or do we simply chalk this up to the epidemic of kids everywhere transferring at the drop of a hat? 

I think that's a great point you make regarding the mindset of a player.....either they bail because they don't play or because they think they've become too good for the program.  I will say this, I don't envy the job that coaches at the mid-major level have to do in terms of recruiting.  A lot of these kids have one foot out the door at all times. 

In my opinion, Towson needs to make up its mind on what it wants to be known as in regard to its athletic programs.  Go ALL in on one sport.  Be known as an ELITE mid-major basketball program, a-la Butler circa 2007-2011, and truly commit to building the program.  Become a "Giant-slayer" program and adopt an anyone, anywhere, anytime approach to scheduling.  Kids/recruits respect that and want to be a part of that kind of culture.

OR

Recommit to building the football program and make every effort to become the North Dakota State of the east coast.  Bring in the best coach you can get.

Towson has been ambivalent about its sports identity for far too long.  It should have far more success in its "core" sports than it does. 

It starts with a competent Athletic Director.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

It starts with a competent Athletic Director.

As I've said before, Mike Waddell knew that success in men's basketball was the best way to gain mainstream national attention for the University.  No one other than D1-AA fans will remember that Towson played for a national championship.  I think winning a game(s) in the NCAA tournament always equates to the mainstream believing that Mason, VCU, Nevada, Loyola, Wofford, Davidson, etc have good basketball programs year in and out even if they don't like Mason.  I'm not sure that Leonard thinks that way and I'd bet the last President to believe in basketball was Dr. Caret.  My two cents now back to recruiting updates... 

• Like 1

He’s got 11 other offers, per verbal commits, including Oregon State, just to name one. Obviously I don’t have any inside info, & maybe we’ve got a shot at this kid, but it seems like getting in on recruiting a kid this late in the game is generally not a recipe for success, especially when he has over 10 other offers. It would seem to me recruiting is about building a relationship over a period of time. That’s why some kids get offered a year or two before their senior year. Just feels like we’re johnny come latelys with some of these offers we’re now making. Of course, this last minute scramble has been necessitated by ZM & Gorham jumping ship. 

40 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

He’s got 11 other offers, per verbal commits, including Oregon State, just to name one. Obviously I don’t have any inside info, & maybe we’ve got a shot at this kid, but it seems like getting in on recruiting a kid this late in the game is generally not a recipe for success, especially when he has over 10 other offers. It would seem to me recruiting is about building a relationship over a period of time. That’s why some kids get offered a year or two before their senior year. Just feels like we’re johnny come latelys with some of these offers we’re now making. Of course, this last minute scramble has been necessitated by ZM & Gorham jumping ship. 

How are you so sure a relationship hasn't been built over time and the official offer just came?  

True, that could be the case. I’m only guessing about the last minute offer theory because this kid recently participated in a couple of tournaments for unsigned players, called the Adidas gauntlet-one in Atl & the other in DC. 

Edited by TSU88

If a kid hasn’t signed with a team By now even though he has offers out there, it usually means he’s not 

necessarily happy with the offers he has and or he’s reaching higher. So with that being said a Program 

may still have a chance at landing this type of kid. Maybe it’s a specific area a kid is looking to play in for

family reasons. So it isn’t over until it’s over

Stiff competition, but never say never. I believe 1 of his HS teammates was our incoming freshman Dottin

A5AF12CB-AE41-410E-8EEA-BAFE3E012ACD.png

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Stiff competition, but never say never. I believe 1 of his HS teammates was our incoming freshman Dottin

A5AF12CB-AE41-410E-8EEA-BAFE3E012ACD.png

Yeah, might as well go for it.