• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Last spring practice update

This spring has flown by and honestly, I was expecting a scrimmage from 8-10 today and the practice ended at 9am. So I got there around 8 and didn't see as much as I wanted to see. A lot of injuries on the defensive side of the ball or guys out or guys not back like Lyrics. No Troy Vincent (hammy) again and no Monty Fenner, who should be back by Spring Game next Saturday (3:30pm after lax game). 

Stover was back and that was good to see. He throw a beautiful pass on the left side to Chris Greaves, the redshirt freshman receiver, with the big-time rep. I spoke with Jared Ambrose after practice so he explained a little more about the competition on offense. Wanted to talk to Lyndon Johnson, but again, the defense has a lot of new pieces or backups that probably won't be there in the fall. Our two defensive tackles (Zain and Barrett, the juco transfer) are hurt and not here yet. So you have guys like Danagogo, N. Cook, Tibo Debaille and Mullins getting a lot of reps. Linebackers are the strength right now with Wallace, Heyward and Paye back. Nice interception by r-freshman linebacker Christian Dixon in the end zone. He's listed at 5-11, 200, Guessing he's around 220. Not bad in pass coverage. Nygill Johnson continues to impress, he's just so explosive.

On offense, I'm happy that they are making changes on the O-line. Rusolillo and Carnesale are battling it out at center. So that means a new left guard and new left tackle. Unfortunately, r-freshman Cole Cheripko was out with an injury and heard he had a lot of talent. So r-sophomore Brendan Cassels (6-3, 280) was fighting it out with r-sophomore Aaron Grzymkowski (6-4, 280) for the starting job. Grzymkowski has the experience and was playing a lot in camp last season. For some reason, we just stayed with the same basic line last year and never really moved anybody in and out unless there was an injury. I think Andrew Garnett will be fine at left tackle but once again, if we had played him more last season, he wouldn't have been as green. He barely played save for tight end in short-yardage situations.

But everything is about Stover. He was pretty impressive today and I didn't see any turnovers. But he still has to be smarter back there. That's the one thing Tristan Harris will do is dump it off to a back or throw a screen if the play is not there. Stover will look for the big play instead of making the simple one and that's what leads to turnovers. Until he limits that, he will never realize his potential. That throw to Greaves was incredible. He threw it in perfect spot, in stride, right over the defender.

From my interview with Jared below:

Any competition on offense?
Competition inside on the offensive line. Carnesale and Rusolillo at center. Cassell and Grymkowski at left guard.
Cassells has come a long way, Grymkowski has the experience. I wouldn't say both tackle spots are set but they are
doing really well. Garnett is a redshirt sophomore has had his ups and downs but very talented.

Quarterbacks
Tristan Harris has moments of greatness and not. He knows the offense. Has to be more consistent as a passer and a runner.
Ryan (Stover) has done it. He's working his way back. He did some great things today. Led some drives. He could be as
good as he wants to be. He could be the best quarterback in this conference if he commits today it. Has a couple of
terrific throws. Just perfect. Epps is coming along and there are some fundamental things we need to work on. Tyler Raines
is as gifted as passer as we've ever had. He's just so green as a quarterback. Trying to get him reps.

On WRs
Greaves came in last year and had a hammy. Was about 165 pounds and is now around 185. It was good that we got to redshirt
him. The other guys, I love what Brett Richardson has done this spring. He's established himself as one of our go-to
guys. Leatherbury, Gallahan is solid. Jabari Allen is special. He can be as good as he wants to be, just like Stover.
That's no disrespect to the other guys like Rodney (Dorsey). We have about nine receivers playing solid football. 

On Richardson
He was really coming on and then had some hiccups against Stony Brook. Had shoulder issues last season and then was nicked
up again today but not serious.

On tight ends
Knuddy (Ellis) is doing really well. He's there because Joe Green had an ankle deal early on. Zach Herron looks like an
NFL tight end. He's 6-5, 270. Built like a Greek God. He can play football, he just has to do it. Myles (Wright), the offense
is a bit beyond him right now. He's struggling sone mentally. Physically, if Myles gets his hands on you, you are in trouble.

On RBs
Jaelen (Thompson) looks ok. Kind of like Myles, things a a bit too fast for him. He hasn't really caught up to the speed.
He's a little behind the Platt's, Kobe's and Shane's. David Bryant is doing a nice job for as a big kid. He has a to do
a better job for us in short-yardage situations. Shane is a special talent, but Kobe is not far behind him. Our strength
will be in numbers. They are upper-NCAA backs.

On short-yardage problems
We have to get better from backfield blocking. Our fullback last year, Jordan Waite, was a converted defensive end. I don't
know if it ever really clicked for him, playing out of position. We have a kid coming him who is an absolute hammer in
Luke Hamilton and Ronnie Fox. They could play right away. We're not game-planning the defense for short-yardage. We'll 
have extra lineman and extra tight ends. We've allowed Bryce Perkins to play fullback (6-0, 270).