• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MLax falls to UMass, 8-4 in road finale

http://towsontigers.com/news/2018/4/14/mens-lacrosse-falters-in-regular-season-road-finale.aspx

The offense was a mess again. No Mazza and Ewell came back to play about 1/2 the game on defense. Defense wasn't the issue. Towson doubled with the goaltender in the last 1:30 and should have doubled earlier. But not with the goalie. UMass was turning it over with ease but so were we (16 turnovers). They doubled most of the game and we didn't. I'd like to see us be more aggressive on both sides of the ball. The offense was an absolute mess and the face-offs (Woodall was 4-12) are becoming a problem again. Not sure what happened Woodall this season but he's not dominant. He's struggling against quality guys and even last week, struggled against an average guy. He also committed three violations that led to a penalty in the first half. Not sure why Nads didn't go to Stillwell.

I guess Mazza is done for this season. At this point, a loss to Delaware at home next week turns this team into a possible miss for the CAA Trny. Going from the Final Four to missing the CAA's would really suck. But hey, recruiting and maybe scheme (extra man offense is horrific) need work. We had a two-man advantage and couldn't even get a quality shot. How is that possible?

Again, I don’t follow much about lacrosse but the expansion of the game has to be hurting us

with colleges out west and now to the south having teams, it is pushing us down the totem pole.  Most kids come from private high schools and you would think want go to a private or “public ivy?”

has recruiting fallen off?

If I remember correctly, Drenner, Adams, and Seider were all top 100 players but weren’t recruited by the blue bloods probably because they didn’t come from a private school.  I think the recruiting has fallen off a bit trying to get that diamond in rough...public school kid with a chip on his shoulder.  I don’t know if we’ll ever get the Boys Latin or Calvert Hall studs but I think we’ve missed on a lot of the elite public school kids in MD.

Nads is one coach I don’t worry about.  He’ll get it right.

Edited by Billy1121

They just did a shaky job of recruiting for this season in replacing Seider, Drenner and Lynch. They have no difference-makers on midfield who can draw attention. They just drive right or left and shoot. We have no creativity or quickness. We do have some size but guys like Lynch were able to draw the longsticks allowing Tyler Young, a very fast middie to take advantage of short sticks. Losing Drenner was a huge loss. He was the quarterback and they tried to replace him with a freshman in Weis and today he was pulled late in the game for Nick Del Bene, who kind of stands behind the net and just looks for cutters but rarely dodges from behind.

They made the Final Four last season so recruiting has been pretty good. Nothing to do with lax expansion. We're in Baltimore so we can get good players from around here either in public or private schools. Also in Anne Arundel County and Kent Island. And I'm sure they will get better players in the future based on the Final Four appearance, but in lax recruiting, you have to start basically with freshmen in HS. Some of these guys are committing as sophomores. So that FF may not help until 2019 or 2020. The problem I had with recruiting was the transfers, even going back to the last couple of years with Kinnear from Ohio State (now gone), Giuffreda from Loyola (had great game against Drexel last week, nothing today), Monahan from Md (bad), Chetner from Richmond (ok). Some of the younger transfers look better like Koby Smith and the kid from Mercer Luke Fromet.

Not worried about the future because we have a freshman goaltender in Brennan who has the potential to be great. But disappointed in the results from this season. I know the suspensions have been devastating. 

That offense was beyond brutal.  At times, I was wondering if we were even going to shoot the ball.  There was one sequence early in the 4th quarter I think where we had the ball on the right wing side and he messed around with the ball and before you knew it, he was swarmed by one player and he just lost the ball.  It's almost like they have zero confidence in their own offensive game and no one wants to fire anything at the net unless they're wide open.  Our defense has been playing pretty well and not allowing a lot of goals, it's just too bad that the offense hasn't progressed one bit from the beginning of the season.  And yes, the suspensions are a big part of that.

still no word on mazza tho? we clearly need him and i blame nads for that even knowing the guy he is. 

17 hours ago, sr16 said:

still no word on mazza tho? we clearly need him and i blame nads for that even knowing the guy he is. 

Mazza's presence on the field is missed, but I applaud Nads for his stance with Mazza. He is making a statement not only now but for the future. Players on the team really made some poor decisions on the Denver trip. They need to be held accountable. Ewell got in the UMASS game.

49 minutes ago, TUvet said:

Mazza's presence on the field is missed, but I applaud Nads for his stance with Mazza. He is making a statement not only now but for the future. Players on the team really made some poor decisions on the Denver trip. They need to be held accountable. Ewell got in the UMASS game.

Lol well now im just gunna assume what happened and if that is it .. I can tell you some things about some athletes lol 

Mazza not playing is probably more about his past, not just the one incident in Denver. I doubt we can win the CAA without him and we might not even make the tournament. Have to give credit to Nads to sticking with his principles but does Mazza return next season? Does half the offense return? They might do what MBB does on the offense.