• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Yagizhan Selcuk commits to Towson

Mat, you have it on good authority that Detroit, Richmond & NE were all recruiting, or at least looking at him? Those are 3 legit mid-majors. Maybe W&M was looking at him too,  at least according to their forlornled poster. 

Fundamentally sound would really help this squad.  

In my experience with Euros it’s either sink or swim.  They either get it and flourish or end up leaving after a season.  

I utimately like this move for the chemistry of this team.  I hope all these guys totally buy in next season. 

Kind of ridiculous to compare Yagi to Alex Gavrilovic just because both are Euros. Alex was a grad student who never played a lot at Dayton and struggled with nagging injuries in 2014-15. Certainly not the toughest player physically even though he was 6-9, 245. Was kind of allergic to the paint. This kid looks like he wants to bang some. Let's give him a chance first and it's actually nice to have a skilled frontcourt player for a change instead of a guy who is just going to rebound and/or defend. I do think we're underrating Sanders as well. He's improved in his sit-out season. Nothing against Alex Thomas or Tunstall, but he's not a role player. Losing Gorham is not a good thing but life moves on and you have to adapt.

18 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Look at it this way. Is it out of desperation? Sort of, but it looks like the young man can play. Has a decent shot and floater with some post moves. Can he defend more athletic fours at this level? Can he play inside against guys like Knight and Cacok? Can he be a rotation player right away? Will likely compete with Solomon O. for the starting or backup power forward spot or we could go with Sanders and Thomas or Sanders and Tunstall up front with Fobbs, Betrand and T.J. Obviously, we desperately need a 2-guard to replace Zane, assuming he's gone. Still not 100% sure both are gone but we can't wait forever. But likely will know more in next couple of weeks if JG and ZM are gone. There are other options as well if Timberlake doesn't commit.

The good news is that at least we have more options at the post this season. Bad news is that Gorham could have been a 16/8 guy next to Sanders, who could be at least a 12/8 guy. 

I am friends with JG ( acquaintances with Zane) but they constantly talk about "free 4" or "free zano" on instagram as if we are attempting to hold them back somehow. It does seem like they are intent on leaving atleast on social media 

1 hour ago, sr16 said:

I am friends with JG ( acquaintances with Zane) but they constantly talk about "free 4" or "free zano" on instagram as if we are attempting to hold them back somehow. It does seem like they are intent on leaving atleast on social media 

Zane is in complete denial if he thinks that we are holding him back by letting him take every shot. Now not having a solid point guard put more pressure on him to become more of a combo guard. So if we improve in that spot, it takes more pressure off of him. But if he wants to go and takes care of things then bye.

Writing is now on wall for Gorham.

1 hour ago, sr16 said:

I noticed that too. I follow Zane and he is making  still behind bars posts. Looks like things aren’t going his way.

They could be referring to whether Towson has officially granted them their respective releases. As I understand it, without an official release, a transfer can enroll at a new school, but must pay his own way (or I guess take out student loans) for the year he has to sit out. In other words, no free ride scholarship during the sit out year.

So, let me say this-when I 1st heard ZM & Gorham were leaving I was, as a TU basketball fan, devastated. But, the more I ruminate on this, I’ve come around on my way of thinking-I’m now glad that the dark cloud from last years team-of which ZM & Gorham were a part of-has been lifted. Between EK’s bickering, Ingram’s quitting over minutes, Morman being kicked off the team, & now obviously ZM & Gorham having formed their own clique, I say good luck to all of them & its time to look forward, not backwards. My own sense (with the caveat that I’ve never met either young man) is that neither, especially ZM, embody the characteristics I’d like to see in a real “student athlete.” The vibe I get from ZM is that school is an annoyance, to be (barely) tolerated in order to play basketball. If that’s his mindset, fine, leave college & go play for pay. As to Gorham, I seem to recall he was suspended as a senior from his HS team. I’m not privy to why, but it should have raised a red flag as to his character. 

Bottom line, both have undeniable basketball skills. 1, or both, will eventually get paid, at some level, for their skills. But, they may learn a valuable lesson from all this, which is that the grass isn’t always greener someplace else. I have no sympathy for either. If they want, they’ll get an opportunity to continue playing college basketball at another school & will have a chance to parlay that opportunity into a degree. For either to infer they’re a “prisoner” demonstrates a mindset of one who is spoiled, immature, lacking a certain degree of education, & in complete denial. I’d rather lose without them, then win with them. Frankly, we’ve already lost with them, so their departures are hardly the end of TU basketball as we know it.

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great post and while winning does cure some things, it doesn’t cure everything. Some coaches are trying to win while doing things the right way while others are PK. Not saying PS is a perfect coach but there’s more to this story that I can share that will make some sense.

Look at what Nadelen is doing with Mazza. Some coaches would have lifted that suspension just to win. He won’t. Not saying this is a similar situation but winning isn’t the only thing. You also go to school to learn about life, not just how to win in sports.