• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Towson heading back to CAA Finals

Matt Sovero's goal in overtime gave Towson the 9-8 win over Delaware tonight to send them to the CAA Finals to face #1 seed UMass on Saturday at 1pm (Lax Sports Network). The Tigers blew a four-goal lead in the fourth quarter with the Blue Hens scoring four straight, including two on extra-man goals. Chad Patterson also threw a misguided pass on a clear that the Hens took advantage of with Shane Brennan out of the night. After all that, the Tigers found a way to win in OT despite Alex Woodall not winning the face-of (Shawn Nadelen said his stick was being held after the game). But Sovero found a way with his first goal of the game to give the Tigers the sudden death winner. I'll be blogging and chatting on Saturday for those interested.

• Like 2

UMass beat Hofstra in the first game 10-6. 

Deluca was unreal in net this game. He made 14 saves, while Brennan made nine. But Brennan had a couple he probably should have saved tonight on long shots. Should have won this game going away with 10 turnovers and with Woodall winning 16 of 21 face-offs. Two bad penalties in the fourth quarter allowed the Blue Hens to come back. Great game by Brendan Sunday with three goals, while Johnny G. had three assists. Grant Maloof also added two goals. I think Maloof should have two more years left even though he's listed as a junior because he was injured last season. Same with Sunday, who they moved from the crease attack and let him roam on offense. He's much better when he's dodging where he can let loose his long arms. Also great game from junior middie Jimmie Wilkerson with three ground balls.

I think we can win Sunday though it's going to be tough. Woodall is going to have to win at least 50% against one of the best face-off guys in the country and then Brennan has to be better in the cage. Offense was dreadful last time we played them (8-4 loss), but their goalie is not Deluca. Do think the future is bright if Mazza comes back next season and we add some offensive punch. Desperately need more athletes on midfield on offense who can create and dodge.

We certainly do know how to make it interesting.  Too bad that the game has to be put on a subscription stream but Spiro is an excellent alternative.  With the Penguins also playing at the same time tonite, there was way too much sports stress in my living room.

Thought you were a Flyers fan. Had to watch LSN on my big laptop, while Caps/Pens was on regular TV. Figured Caps would do nothing on offense so I didn't miss much.