• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

CAA title game lax blog

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

That doesn't mean he's leaving because he's unhappy about a certain thing. Like I said, there might not be a job opening that intrigues him but Michigan was a legit play last season. Thankfully, he stayed. But you have to be realistic and think that the atmosphere at a Towson game is horrendous compared to Maryland, Syracuse, Hopkins, Loyola, etc. Those jobs aren't open but I can't imagine that he's thrilled with the way we promote a team that went to the final four last season. The weather plays a part to the horrific attendance but again, my guess they'd like a little more respect.

which they deserve.. maybe he doesnt feel the school is behind him as much he is behind the school 

I have to say there was virtually no promotion in comparison to football and basketball. Granted they are your big revenue sports but coming off a Final Foul appearance there was a lot to promote this year. Lacrosse has a very strong parent support group that has stepped up for the athletic department. It is time that Leonard, Crowley etc and his staff appreciate what they have. 

All marketing/promotion suck for the programs.  I remember hearing radio ads on 105.7 for hoops. Problem is, they were advertising a road game that night.. and they werent even saying "its on our radio network."  99.99% of people listening dont give a rats a** about towson athletics, and the ones that do, already know there is a game that night..

Doesnt lacrosse play alot of weekday games in the early part of the year?  Hard for people to get to when they work and weather is crappy.  I've been to a handful of games (6-10ish) from when I was a student and now alum, but honestly dont care to much for lacrosse.  Whats the average attendance been like?

We drew 827 fans per game this year in seven games, 1,356 fans per game last year in eight games, 1,014 fans per game in 12 games in 2016. Loyola, who deals with the same weather averaged 1,609 per game this year in 9 games and 1726 per game in 2017 in eight games. A lot of that is on the NCAA and the sport for starting so freakin' early. They should start in mid-March and end in mid-June but they will never let the Memorial Day Weekend go for the Final Four so it is what it is. Nobody wants to see lax in February in 30 degrees.

To be honest, it would be nice to promote this sport more but who the hell is going to the games that early in the cold, even if we play Duke, Hopkins, Denver and Loyola at home. We could be playing Maryland and the crowd will still be under 1,000 in mid-February. So I guess it has to be more than just lack of promotion.

I'll say it again, who's responsible for external relations in athletics now?  Whomever it is should have oversight of marketing, promotions, tickets and perhaps development too.  We had someone under Wayne, Mike and Mike II but who is it now?  It's great that we spent all that money on the logo wraps for the Light Rail trains during football season (don't think basketball or lacrosse).  They looked really cool but how many first timers did we attract to games?  How much ticket revenue did we generate during basketball season when every single game included a promotion where you could get 4 free tickets?  Unless your a die-hard lax fan, you're not coming out to watch Towson-Mercer in the dead of Winter.  If you can't get a clear AM signal, have to pay to watch, don't know how to cast the game from your computer to your TV, etc....it's hard to get folks excited about Towson sports.  End of rant.

• Like 2

Loyola and Hopkins are LAX schools so of course they will outdraw us. If we didn't have football, we would draw more for LAX as well.