• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

A closer look: Solomon Uyaelunmo

6-8, 220. Three-star Rivals/Scout. From Nigeria originally. Played at Calvary Christian in Ft. Lauderdale. Don't have shooting numbers but he was obviously the most sought-after recruit we've signed as a freshman. 

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/solomon-uyaelunmo-9488

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/soloman-uyaelunmo/UctIqaqhEeaAdqA2nzwY6g/default.htm

Hard not to be excited about this kids potential. Size, athleticism, shooting ability & high character. As much as last year’s incoming freshman class was a swing & a miss (Prophete gone, Ingram gone & Drayton redshirted) this year’s class, highlighted by Solomon & Timberlake, has the potential to be something special. Would have preferred Gorham to have stayed, but that ship has sailed. Nonetheless, Solomon, Sanders, Tunstall & Selcuk could be a pretty good front court rotation-add in Juwan Gray in fall 2019.

Hate to paint the 2019-20 season as the one but we have to realistic. That doesn't mean it's impossible to win this year. I'll take a winning season in the CAA and call it a successful season. But if most of these new players pan out, who knows? The point is, we've never had a freshman in all my years of covering this program on CAAZone and here come up big in his first season save for Mike Green. Maybe Tim Crossin, who played a lot in his first year. Almost every freshman has come off the bench and made a slight difference or they came on late in the season like Morsell, Martin, etc.

The key is leaning on T.J. Howard, Fobbs, and Sanders along with Tunstall, McNeill and hopefully Drayton.  

A few thoughts-this upcoming season is an outlier of sorts, in that in past seasons Skerry hasn’t had to force feed freshman. Simple mathematics suggest this coming season might be different. Besides, it’s not like freshman are genetically incapable of scoring. The last few years in the CAA look at Pemberton, Ryan Daly, Ryan Allen, Kirk Lee, Jr.... So, I’m not ruling out that one of our freshman could average 10-12 ppg.

As another poster on a different thread pointed out, Skerry, by virtue of the vast turnover in players, basically gets a pass for whatever the record is this coming season. Realistically, I think a winning record is the ceiling; anything over & above is icing on the cake 🍰 

I think coaches tend to rely on veteran players because they know what they can do and they know the system. Skerry won't have that luxury this season and sure, it's possible that Timberlake or Betrand could average 10-12ppg if they start at the 2 or Solomon at the 4. My assumption is that he might take pressure off the freshmen by starting Jordan at the 2 but Timberlake's ability to handle it and run the offense some could help his case. It could even come down to Solomon just being so good that he'll have to start at the 4. That's the hope anyway. 

In Skerry's first season, we did start a freshmen backcourt and that didn't work out well. I kind of wiped that season out of my memory but there's no choice other than starting Deon Jones and Kris Walden. Jervon Pressley also started about 1/2 the games that year at the 4. That didn't work out too well and hopefully we have a real point finally in Howard though I'm not sure he's more scorer than distributor because he can really shoot it from deep. We'll take a lead guard at this point if he can play.