• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

2019 Basketball Offers

I read on the U St. Louis message board (or maybe the Charlotte board) that he grew 3 inches from HS to prep school. Apparently, he was nothing special in HS; 9 points & 6 boards a game, but the year at prep school was a blessing for him.

Supposedly, he’s got a nice mid-range (12-16 feet) shot & even has 3-point range. He needs to add some bulk, but he certainly has upside, both on offense & as a rim protector on D. 

Now the question is can PS beat out a P5 (Georgia) & some legit mid-high majors (St. Louis, Charlotte, St. Bonaventure & UMass). I’m a born skeptic, but we’ll see. I believe sometimes a program like ours has to “steal” a recruit who’s being pursued by bigger programs. 

Just because those schools offered him, doesn’t mean he’s a good fit. They might want to redshirt him to put on weight. Our main strength is that his family can drive to see him in less than an hour, I don’t know if he would get any playing time as a freshman at that weight but in two years with some work in the weight room, he could replace Tunstall as the rim protector.

I would think his chances of significant minutes at Georgia as a freshman would be remote; either deep on the bench or a redshirt. Don’t know about where he’d stand with the other schools. 

It is possible that his being from MD could be a big intangible in our favor. OTOH, some kids want to get away from home. We should find out in the next few weeks.

Well, since it’s gone radio silent as to the last 2 open ships for this fall, I thought I’d mention that one of our coaches is following, and is being followed, on Twitter Keondre Kennedy, a JUCO listed as 6’6, who had an impressive 1st year at Labette CC in Kansas, averaging 18ppg & 6 boards a game. Shot 48% from the field overall & 40% on 3’s. He’s got 3 years of eligibility left. After hitting on Fobbs last year, could we hit on another diamond in the rough?

Are we done with recruiting, transfers, etc for 2019?  Are all available scholarships allocated?

Edited by BK_Brian