• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Martin, Gorham get their release

Yep, it’s a no win at this level (sometimes. Not all kids do what ZM & JG are doing). 

In any event, kudos to Skerry for spotting a diamond in the rough in ZM, who I don’t believe was heavily recruited out of HS. As far as I’m concerned, ZM & JG are in the rear view mirror. Wish em the best & time to move on. I like the pieces we have going forward. I’m not sure we would have gotten Timberlake if ZM we’re still here. We lost with ZM & JG, so if we have to take some lumps this coming season, so be it. 

Good luck, godspeed...and I'd prefer not to hear about them anymore.  Turn the page and look forward to what we have on the roster who do want to be here and hopefully take us to heights we haven't seen in over 25 years.

How do the incoming players look at this? More PT for them? Or 2/3 major pieces we had just left willingly? 

I would hope they’d collectively look at it as a chance at more PT, along with a chance to fill the scoring void that’s been left

We will miss their talent, especially on the offensive end. Neither was a great defender, so you have that. I think Zane felt he was too good for this league, which is why he put his name in the draft. So now he's got a huge list of big-time schools considering offering him. That's great. But he needs to go to a situation where he has a chance to start. Maryland, for example, would seem like a good fit because Kevin Huerter is leaving this year or next year. Other schools will have guys that will graduate this year or head to the NBA early. But how much does Zane want to fit in? He'll have his sit-out year to improve his defense, ballhandling, shot selection, free throw shooting, etc. I wish him the best but honestly, he had a chance to be a mid-major star. Now sure how that translates at a higher level. Sometimes it does work out. Look at Damion Lee, although he had the size and shooting ability.

As for Justin, I don't know if he just needs to get out of the area. Maybe that's the issue with him. He was the guy I was hoping would stay before we added our last ship with the San Diego transfer Juwan Gray. That loss may hurt more because I thought he could be a 16-8 guy as early as this season. 

It's tough keeping everybody happy. Zane had a million shots a game and he left. Justin didn't start until late in the season, partially due to an ankle injury. They aren't the first transfers and won't be the last but they also were different because they had major success and potential unlike Prophete, Ingram, Hawkins, Foster, Astroth, McGlynn, Marshall, Alston. Biggest loss ultimately was Jerome Hairston, who showed talent and potential in his first season and then threw it away.

This is not unique to us. By way of example, U Wisconsin-Milwaukee (or maybe it’s just U Milwaukee) lost their top 3 scorers from last season by way of transfers. Yes, these guys were talented, but I for one am not going to pine for them. It’s like being jilted by a woman-there’s always lots of other fish 🐠 in the ocean. 

• Like 1

Maryland is interested in Zane Martin. I coach high school basketball and this comes from someone I was speaking to this evening who is part of their program