• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Martin, Gorham get their release

13 minutes ago, TUvet said:

Maryland is interested in Zane Martin. I coach high school basketball and this comes from someone I was speaking to this evening who is part of their program

Yes, that was mentioned by Jeff Goodman in an earlier post. They will lose Huerter. Wiggins might be a 3. Zane could possibly start but likely come off the bench as a sixth man. His defense and ballhandling have to really improve to play at the B10 level. Read the scouting report on him.

https://247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Reaches-Out-to-Towson-Transfer-Zane-Martin-118407008

On 5/21/2018 at 3:55 PM, Chris Datres said:

Good luck, godspeed...and I'd prefer not to hear about them anymore.  Turn the page and look forward to what we have on the roster who do want to be here and hopefully take us to heights we haven't seen in over 25 years.

dont let the door hit ya on the way out.  good riddance.  I view transferring as quitting, obviously without extenuating circumstances (family, health, coach change, no playing time).

would like martin to go to maryland, gives me more hate for the turtles

A Philly kid in Spokane!!??   He’s gonna really have to change his game drastically  to fit in there.  Yes they do well with transfers but Mark Few is a really tough demanding coach...  careful what you wish for.  

Off to visit Clemson now.  Crazy how long the process can take for transfers.  Players are already on campus taking summer classes and working out together while hundreds of transfers are still looking for a place to call home. Reports are still coming out of players leaving different schools and intending to transfer.  Of the hundreds that transfer every year, wonder how many drop down to D2, JC or NAIA.

So let's see, even though Zane had the ball in his hands the most of any players in the conference, took a million shots, played little defense. was very unclutch at the line and from the field. The dude had the ball in his hands in the last five minutes in every game last season and how many big plays did he make last season? A few? The Morgan State long 3-pointer to send it to overtime? The coach put him in position to carry the team and while he scored a ton of points, he also wasn't very efficient. I don't know what other coach is going to put a fairly untested sophomore into that kind of position. 

I'm not going to be naive and say that PS' style is for everybody. But if ZM thinks that the grass is greener at Maryland, Gonzaga or Clemson, he's in for a rude awakening. Maybe the best thing for ZM is to sit out one season and learn how to be a team player. Because those coaches are trying to win ball games first and then get you to the NBA/Europe/G-League second even if they may say another thing. Their best chance to win is not for Zane to launch 20 footers on a 1-and-3 fastbreak. That won't happen with those guys. But on the other hand, ZM should get better looks, because he'll likely be playing with better point guards (99% likely) and solid post players. He won't be the top option; more like the 3rd or 4th and he most likely will be coming off the bench unless half the team leaves for the NBA, which is always possible nowadays.

• Like 1