• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Martin, Gorham get their release

3 hours ago, tualum said:

HA! But at least those two can somewhat get a chance at a probable NCAA run with those teams. Maybe they felt that wouldn't be the case if they stayed here. Just wanted more exposure I guess...

Exposure yes but do you really think they risked losing playing time to possibly get to the NCAA Tournament? New Mexico's last NCAA Tournament appearance was 2012 (it will be 7 years) and Houston was 2010. Used to be big programs but not a lot of production lately. I think this was all about trying to prove they can play at a higher (slightly) level and show scouts that they can play pro. Justin may have other reasons. I like Justin's game more than Zane and I think we could miss him more. But I do like the kids we brought in. Unfortunately you can't win at this level relying on too many freshmen. That's why you have to hope that the Jucos and Sanders can come through.

4 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Exposure yes but do you really think they risked losing playing time to possibly get to the NCAA Tournament? New Mexico's last NCAA Tournament appearance was 2012 (it will be 7 years) and Houston was 2010. Used to be big programs but not a lot of production lately. I think this was all about trying to prove they can play at a higher (slightly) level and show scouts that they can play pro. Justin may have other reasons. I like Justin's game more than Zane and I think we could miss him more. But I do like the kids we brought in. Unfortunately you can't win at this level relying on too many freshmen. That's why you have to hope that the Jucos and Sanders can come through.

Didn’t Houston make the tourney last year and lose to Michigan at the buzzer?

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

Didn’t Houston make the tourney last year and lose to Michigan at the buzzer?

Yes, they did. I forgot about that. For some reason, ESPN had their last at 2010. 

My final thought on this is that it's time to move on. I hope for their sake, they learn from their sit-out year about improving their weakness and for both it's defense. For Zane, it's not worrying about stats as much and becoming selective and efficient as an offensive player.