• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

CAA Tournament new home

This is an utterly stupid argument about crime and I don't get why TU Alum is arguing with the wrong person.

I'll try and find more info about this but my guess is that there are no decent venues that are not on campus that they could play in that seats 6-8,000 people. That's the rule. No on campus venues even though the Richmond Coliseum was less than a mile from VCU. So what really are the options from No. Va. to Philly? Some small arena in Chester? The D.C. Armory that was outdated 40 years ago? The only other option maybe would be to play on another campus like Villanova or hell, the Palestra (speaking of outdated but not as bad as the Armory). 

As for the crime, I'm no expert but grew up near D.C. Southeast was not considered the safest place but that was 30+ years ago. I'm guessing that Ted Leonsis is smart enough to build a place (cheaper land?) in D.C. where the crime may be iffy but the Mystics will play there next year and the G-League Go-Go team of the Wiz will play this season. The thing opens in September so let's see how it goes in the first two years (before the CAA heads there) before making proclamations about crime.

And yes, the RoFo Arena in Baltimore is also not in the best area but I never heard of issues there concerning crime. 

12 hours ago, mat1992 said:

This is an utterly stupid argument about crime and I don't get why TU Alum is arguing with the wrong person.

I'll try and find more info about this but my guess is that there are no decent venues that are not on campus that they could play in that seats 6-8,000 people. That's the rule. No on campus venues even though the Richmond Coliseum was less than a mile from VCU. So what really are the options from No. Va. to Philly? Some small arena in Chester? The D.C. Armory that was outdated 40 years ago? The only other option maybe would be to play on another campus like Villanova or hell, the Palestra (speaking of outdated but not as bad as the Armory). 

As for the crime, I'm no expert but grew up near D.C. Southeast was not considered the safest place but that was 30+ years ago. I'm guessing that Ted Leonsis is smart enough to build a place (cheaper land?) in D.C. where the crime may be iffy but the Mystics will play there next year and the G-League Go-Go team of the Wiz will play this season. The thing opens in September so let's see how it goes in the first two years (before the CAA heads there) before making proclamations about crime.

And yes, the RoFo Arena in Baltimore is also not in the best area but I never heard of issues there concerning crime. 

Right, was a pretty silly argument and that's why I left it alone. Is the area safe like you said, NO, but the city will have everything worked out just like Nats stadium. I'm surprised the Mystics will be playing there though. The reasoning about having a smaller venue to get a home court advantage was a bit odd but whatever. Mystics seemed to be at home at the current arena. Very interested into seeing the final product...

20 hours ago, TSU88 said:

In the interests of defending my enormous ego, it was another poster, not I, who said the new venue is in the middle of a bad neighborhood. I’m bullish on DC. Just drove on a worknight recently from my home in Baltimore to have dinner at the Old Ebbitt Grill, on 15th Street, NW.  was taken by how folks were safely walking the streets in that area at night. Not sure I would have felt safe doing that on the streets of my hometown 

I’m bullish on DC as well, but 15th Street NW is not representative of SE DC. Just like how Locust Point is not representative of NW Baltimore (Okay, maybe not that extreme, but you get the point).

Regardless, DC is a great central location for the tourney, the venue will be safe, and it’s metro accessible.

I think I said this on the FB post but wooooooooooooooooooooooo! Metroing to the games for me!!

As someone that owns a home in NE DC (Brookland) the city is transitioning fast but that area (Congress Heights) still has a LOOOOOONG was to go. Set up some shuttles to official tournament hotels in Navy Yard,Waterfront or Downtown and people will be fine.  If an NBA team can practice there, a NBA G League team and WNBA can play there security will no be an issues around the facility and game times.  I'm totally okay playing our conference tournament in the HQ of an NBA team, as much of a joke as the Wiz are. 

Since we’ll be playing in DC, maybe we can take a page from the Caps, & finally win the tournament after years of futility.

I think it’s safe to say that if we win 1 of the 3 tournaments that will be played in DC, no one is going to care where we won it

On 6/18/2018 at 11:12 PM, mat1992 said:

The Palestra outdated? Mat you just hit me where it hurts the most. The Palestra is the perfect place for the tourney to happen and would give the conference some of the credibility it currently does not have. Perfect size historic and THE place to watch a college basketball game. Forget Cameron, Phog Allan, Hinkle or any other place. The Palestra has hosted more NCAA basketball games than any other venue and it still stands head and shoulders above all others!

29 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

The Palestra outdated? Mat you just hit me where it hurts the most. The Palestra is the perfect place for the tourney to happen and would give the conference some of the credibility it currently does not have. Perfect size historic and THE place to watch a college basketball game. Forget Cameron, Phog Allan, Hinkle or any other place. The Palestra has hosted more NCAA basketball games than any other venue and it still stands head and shoulders above all others!

size yes, historic yes, not the best location for the conference, but hey the commissioner stated attendance isnt a factor.. haha

1 hour ago, Blazer49 said:

Perfect place is taking it a little too far. Great place to watch a basketball game yes, but not the perfect game or even site for a tournament. Comparing it to the D.C. Armory is more about age than aesthetics.