• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

CAA Tournament new home

Nice location but not thrilled about the size of the facility. I wonder if they'll even allow the pep bands now or at least shrink them 50 or less. Good news is that it's within 3-4 hours or less for Delaware, W&M, Drexel, Towson. Less than 5 hours for Elon and Hofstra and less than 6 from Wilmington.

http://stelizabethseast.com/entertainment-sports-arena/

http://www.rossetti.com/work/project/washington-dc-entertainment-sports-arena

mixed feeling on this.

Pros:

True neutral site

Will be brand new

Closer to Towson

Cons:

Very small arena size (7,000 would be preferred) 

Area around it does not seem to built up

I like it. As previously mentioned, it’s pretty centrally located for many teams in the conference (TU, W&M, JMU, UD, Drexel). Let’s face it, it wouldn’t be fair to constantly have it in Charleston, no matter how hospitable folks are in the low country, & it doesn’t make sense, IMHO, to hold it anyplace north of Philly (Hofstra & NE are just going to have to be the geographic outliers). Furthermore, no one should be heard to gripe it’s a home tournament for TU; after all, having it at the Civic Center for 3 years (sorry, it’ll always be the CC to me) didn’t help us win the tournament even once. 

DC is a great town (tons to do for out-of-town visitors to the tournament) & a 4K seat arena seems perfect for a tournament that averaged 5,400 for a 4-day tournament played in Charleston (keeping in mind that the 5,400 average was likely inflated by the fact C of C made it to the championship game. This reduces the ratio of fans to empty seats-I’d rather see 4K in a 4K seat arena, then 4-5K in a 7K seat arena.

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

I like it. As previously mentioned, it’s pretty centrally located for many teams in the conference (TU, W&M, JMU, UD, Drexel). Let’s face it, it wouldn’t be fair to constantly have it in Charleston, no matter how hospitable folks are in the low country, & it doesn’t make sense, IMHO, to hold it anyplace north of Philly (Hofstra & NE are just going to have to be the geographic outliers). Furthermore, no one should be heard to gripe it’s a home tournament for TU; after all, having it at the Civic Center for 3 years (sorry, it’ll always be the CC to me) didn’t help us win the tournament even once. 

DC is a great town (tons to do for out-of-town visitors to the tournament) & a 4K seat arena seems perfect for a tournament that averaged 5,400 for a 4-day tournament played in Charleston (keeping in mind that the 5,400 average was likely inflated by the fact C of C made it to the championship game. This reduces the ratio of fans to empty seats-I’d rather see 4K in a 4K seat arena, then 4-5K in a 7K seat arena.

Agree with all of this.  Increase the demand and create more buzz. 

They discussed the D.C. Armory, which seats 7,000+ but that place is way too old. But the women hold their tournament at the Show Place Arena in Upper Marlboro and that holds 5,800. I guess the proximity to hotels and entertainment (MGM?) isn't that great.

http://showplacearena.com/1651/Show-Place-Arena-Equestrian-Center

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/06/18/washingtons-new-basketball-arena-lands-the-caa-mens-basketball-tournament/?utm_term=.4610df2de9fe

I wonder if we could play a regular season game there this season or next, just to give the team a feel for the place, before the tournament in spring 2020. Maybe play someone like Richmond, American....

What a joke. Gives you an idea as to the vision the commissioner’s office has for the future of basketball in the league. A 4,500 seat venue? To me that means they see a continued decline in the conference.

Can’t wait for the release in a few years that Calvert Hall High Scholl will host the tournament starting in 2026.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blazer49 said:

What a joke. Gives you an idea as to the vision the commissioner’s office has for the future of basketball in the league. A 4,500 seat venue? To me that means they see a continued decline in the conference.

Can’t wait for the release in a few years that Calvert Hall High Scholl will host the tournament starting in 2026.

Blazer is right. The more you look at it the more embarasing it is.   

4500 is way to small. Comp tickets, sponsors and band will take up close to 1-7 of that.  

Arena is a joke. Doesn’t have seats along on sideline!  Bad neighborhood no hotels or bars around it.  Give me a bigger arena that can potentially fit 8k when.m needed for a championship. 

All conference tournaments are empty because they sell books to all sessions. Two games. Most don’t stay or get there for both

If we win the tournament, I don’t care if we play in an elementary school gym. If we lose, I don’t care if we play in the Verizon Center.

No sideline seats? Lets not be prima donnas. We’re the CAA, not the A-10. “Only” 4500 seats? How many people attended the tournament at the 12,000 seat Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore?No bars or restaurants nearby? “Paging Mr Uber. Please report to the white courtesy phone in the lobby.” What’s wrong with 4K people in attendance in an arena that seats 4,500? That makes for a more charged atmosphere if you ask me. What is the positive of having 4K people in an 8-12K seat arena? 

Some folks are hard to please. Like if you saw a guy walking on water, you’d say, “see, I told you he couldn’t swim!!!”