• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

CAA Tournament new home

It’s the conferences premier event.  Finals have averaged over 5k since the core of the conf left. But let’s play it in front of 3400 fans while not in tv!

prima Donna? Seriously?!  Do you watch basketball? Most stadiums have 4 sides and seats on those  at the very least the baselines are empty like Kaplan arena  these are the best views of the game as well This has no sideline seats on one whole side of that arena.. 

This arena is literally in the middle of a bad part of se dc/md

joe d is a clown and is in way over his head as seen time and time again. 

Tournament attendance & lack of tv contract are 2 separate & distinct issues, which I’m afraid you’re conflating. I wholly agree that we need a tv contract. 

Um, yes, I watch basketball, by virtue of my season tickets to TU, which I’ve had for some time. No need to be condescending. I truly don’t care that this building has no sideline seats, as I don’t sit on the sideline in any event.

Finals have averaged over 5K? I’ll research what the attendance was at the finals games at Royal Farms, but, assuming arguendo you’re right, I fail to see the big difference. Fewer people in attendance (though not thousands fewer) in return for less empty seats. Fair trade off to me. 

The only point I’m willing to perhaps concede is that this arena isn’t in the best neighborhood. Of course, last time I checked, Royal Farms Arena is in Baltimore City, which had what, 340 or so murders last year (far more, I believe than DC had). Call me myopic, but I would like to think DC will have plenty of police presence, to ensure the safety of guests. 

Well, feel free to excoriate me, but I’m going to go to the tournament (at least TU games) & keep an open mind.

Could work in the long run. And quit with the nonsense about it being in a bad area of DC.  No need to compare murder rates with bmore either due to size differences. All cities have their good and bad.  As a DC native no one will bother you if you aren't looking for trouble.  Heck, the Nats stadium isn't in the best area but the venue is fine. Only issue is the size as others mentioned but let's see.. 

12 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Tournament attendance & lack of tv contract are 2 separate & distinct issues, which I’m afraid you’re conflating. I wholly agree that we need a tv contract. 

Um, yes, I watch basketball, by virtue of my season tickets to TU, which I’ve had for some time. No need to be condescending. I truly don’t care that this building has no sideline seats, as I don’t sit on the sideline in any event.

Finals have averaged over 5K? I’ll research what the attendance was at the finals games at Royal Farms, but, assuming arguendo you’re right, I fail to see the big difference. Fewer people in attendance (though not thousands fewer) in return for less empty seats. Fair trade off to me. 

The only point I’m willing to perhaps concede is that this arena isn’t in the best neighborhood. Of course, last time I checked, Royal Farms Arena is in Baltimore City, which had what, 340 or so murders last year (far more, I believe than DC had). Call me myopic, but I would like to think DC will have plenty of police presence, to ensure the safety of guests. 

Well, feel free to excoriate me, but I’m going to go to the tournament (at least TU games) & keep an open mind.

Feel bad for you then. So many basketball games sitting behind the hoop?  Sorry I just don’t agree,  a basketball stadium needs seats along both sidelines. 

The ne final didn’t draw well in Baltimore but Towson Hofstra Drexel And ne could host the champ that they are playing in and still not sell it out 

I’m a Baltimore native & I feel safer in DC than I do in Baltimore. I’m going to take the glass half full attitude at this point in terms of the new tournament venue.  As far as murder rates, I mentioned Baltimore’s only to refute the argument that this new venue is an a bad area; Royal Farms Arena isn’t the safest place to walk around at night, so it seems a tad disingenuous to me to complain about the location of this new venue

So, the attendance for last season’s tournament championship game (C of C vs NE) was 7,945. I dare say at least 7K of those in attendance were C of C fans. How much less would the finals attendance have been if C of C had been knocked off in either the quarterfinals or semifinals? Maybe a couple thousand? The entire 4 day tournament drew 21,941. That means the attendance for the 1st 3 days totaled 13,996, for an average of 4,665 a day, barely more than what this new venue in DC holds. 

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m a Baltimore native & I feel safer in DC than I do in Baltimore. I’m going to take the glass half full attitude at this point in terms of the new tournament venue.  As far as murder rates, I mentioned Baltimore’s only to refute the argument that this new venue is an a bad area; Royal Farms Arena isn’t the safest place to walk around at night, so it seems a tad disingenuous to me to complain about the location of this new venue

Huh? How can you refute whether an area is good or bad based on comparing an entire city's murder rate? I lived in both bmore and the DC area in the 90s when it was really bad and if you aren't mindful of your surroundings anything can happen anywhere. Yes, the area around Congress Heights has its issues but patrons will be safe due to security. The city has thought this out for a long time and the results will be rewarding just like every other improvement in the metro area. Heck, I may even check out the tournament from now on...

I’m not sure you’re grasping the subtleties of my argument. I am arguing in FAVOR of the new DC venue, by pointing out that statistically, DC is safer than Baltimore, a city which previously hosted the tournament. So, the rest of my argument in FAVOR of the DC venue, is that it is perhaps unfair to assert the neighborhood the new venue is in isn’t a good one (I’ve personally never been there, but I’m still going to go to the tournament) when the tournament was previously held in Baltimore, which isn’t renowned for being a bastion of public safety. 

Further, in a prior post, I pointed out that DC will probably bend over backwards to make sure the area is safe for those attending the tournament. 

Edited by TSU88

I got what you're saying but was curious about your logic arriving to your conclusion about the area. And I won't get into which city is safer or not. Lol. The city will do its best to make sure everyone is safe but at the same time you want to watch your surroundings while in the area. I'll leave it at that...

In the interests of defending my enormous ego, it was another poster, not I, who said the new venue is in the middle of a bad neighborhood. I’m bullish on DC. Just drove on a worknight recently from my home in Baltimore to have dinner at the Old Ebbitt Grill, on 15th Street, NW.  was taken by how folks were safely walking the streets in that area at night. Not sure I would have felt safe doing that on the streets of my hometown